1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions after watching the "Clutch City" documentary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jimmy Chitwood, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Props to you for wanting to learn the history of Clutch City, repped.

2. craguin

craguin Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Tribute_to_Peterson_and_Foley-267614-34.html
    18 MP3 links on that page:

1994 Championship
    1995 Championship
    The Clock Stoppage in Utah
    Sampson's Miracle Shot
    Horry's Game Winner
    Elie's Kiss of Death
    The Dream against Robinson
    Olajuwon's game-winner in '95 Finals
    Smith's 3 in 1995 Finals
    Rockets sink 19 3's against Jazz
    Rudy T era begins with win
    Olajuwon receives first ring
    Great calls on Clyde Drexler
    McGrady's rally against the Spurs
    Great calls on Charles Barkley
    Maxwell Game-Winner
    Greats calls on Hakeem Olajuwon
    Great calls on Yao Ming

3. craguin

craguin Member

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Jimmy Chitwood

Absolutely. I'm a third generation Rockets fan and when my grandpa was still alive thought the world of Hakeem, The Summit, and the rest of the team. I've been bleeding Rocket Red in the wrong era though it seems--until now!

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Damn, it's like you were in my 4-Runner with me, blaring Sly & the Family Stone and wilding out. I love other teams, and I've enjoyed watching other teams win championships, but nothing quite meets what it was like when the Rockets finally got it done.

There's probably a lot to be said for a team winning its city's first championship. Especially following, like you said, the high profile failures of other of the city's teams.

Really, really glad to see the follow up on Mad Max. He was that little bit of Ron Artest insanity that a team needs just a smidge of to be threatening.

Carl Herrera and Scooty (yes, Scooty) Brooks were quintessential role guys. Herrera seemed to get the rebounds that had to be gotten. Brooks was a steady influence when we needed steadiness.

Y'all are gonna make me pop in the Clutch City VHS tapes now.

1 person likes this.
  7. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

All that and more. One playoff game my wife got us started late, and there we were along with a lot of people, standing OUTSIDE a restaurant so we could see the game through the windows. No one left ! I remember trying to grab seats at the Hooters on Kirby hours before the game....nobody would move once they sat down for sure. It was total Rockets insanity. T shirt tents went up everywhere....most made real high quality tees that are still some of my favorites today. Only wear for IMPORTANT games...lol

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

oh don't start me with Gene Peterson and Jim ! They made the games COME ALIVE on the radio....they felt like they were in the room with you....sitting next to you...freaking out with you as you freaked out !

9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

No, I think we could. I remember when the Astros won the NLCS, me and my girlfriend drove to Academy and there was hundreds of people already there waiting. People on the freeways honking like crazy. Smiles and hugs everywhere, everyone was excited and this was just the NLCS, I can't imagine what would've happened if we had won the WS.

10. mikus

mikus Member

Remember all the car horn honking after every Rockets win in the playoffs? You could hear it coming down the street and you knew it was in support of the Rockets.

I was also at Richmond after the Magic series as well, cruising down the strip waving the broom. Unlike our neighbor in the north(Dallas), no rioting, no burning cars, just a huge party that lasted all night. Made me so proud to be a Houstonian. I'll remember that for the rest of my life. I follow multiple teams in the NFL including our Texans, but in the NBA, the Rockets are my only team forever. It's funny, because I was in college at the time, and my roommate who grew up in Baltimore, and has lived in San Fran for over a decade still feels the same way. I'm sure he *likes* the Warriors, but the Rockets are still his real love because of those days.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Brooks was a solid player and closer who just got pushed out of the rotation by Cassell. Unfortunate, but it happens.

Herrera was a good back-up against most teams, but he also happened to be a certified Knick-killer, which made him really handy in the finals. I don't know what it is about certain players and teams, but God made Carl Herrera to torment the New York Knicks. Not in a huge "OMG, he's going off for 45 points/how is this happening?!" way, but he just had a way of making shots and getting important rebounds that completely deflated them. I remember Knicks fans I knew cringing when he came into the games because they knew he was going to make at least a couple of big plays, and sure enough, it always happened.

12. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

man i miss this jerseys

13. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Love the recounting of stories. So many great memories from that time.

After Game 7 vs NY, I was honking so much my horn actually stopped making noises & sounded more like a wounded duck!

I lived in Humble for the Orlando series. Went to the Academy to get my hat/shirt & they were clearancing the old logo'd gear for the incoming pajamas. I got a REALLY nice Starter warm up that I STILL HAVE & HAVE NEVER WASHED from that night. ;)

I then drove from Humble to Richmond/Westheimer for the parking lot in my truck.

14. bro2044

bro2044 Member

teared up watching these

15. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

http://youtu.be/MN1_jnyRmi4?t=36m55s

Cassell played a larger role than Brooks. I think that everything Brooks knows as a coach came from this time though.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/93CFeNMXgEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do you LOVE Mad Max? He was horribly inefficient. Career 39.8% fg and 32% 3pt. 72%ft. Atrocious numbers. Playoff #'s were even worse during out 1st run. I loved his fire and never back down attitude and he was awesome in the clutch and good defender, but i'm starting to ask myself if it's just nostalgia as the reason why i loved him. Would you like him today? How can you hate on T-Mac and be so in love with a guy like Mad Max? Terrible efficiency. Poor attitude. Quit on the team in 95. Just curious.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Are you any relation to Joie Chitwood of the Chitwood Thrill Shows?

[​IMG]

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

How dare you put down Spaghetti Warehouse! I don't know if that place still exists today but I took my girlfriend there on our first date during my days at UT. We didn't work out but that was a memory for me.

UT was mixed bag of Spurs and Rocket fans during that those years. I stayed at Jester Center (East) and if you ever go down to the corner lobby there were a ton of bball fans just watching the playoffs downstairs. Rocket and Spurs fans were at it each other. Good ol days

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Oh my gosh, Victor's almost every Sunday. Now it's a freaking Berryhill.

I'd rather have Victor's back.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Living in NY in 1994, I remember how much fun it was being a Rockets fan. At the time the Rangers were also in the finals, but it was the Knicks everyone was crazy about. The whole city was so scared of the Rockets coming into the finals because of all the 3 pointers. The fretted not about Olajuwon, but about Kenny Smith more than anyone.

When it became clear the series was going to be a grind, they all believed they could win it. And when up 3-2, everyone figured it was in the bag. They thought they had it finally. I'd wear a Rockets cap and I got so much poop for it. People yelling out of their cars, giving me dirty looks, telling me how Houston sucked as a city, loser city, all that.

But when we won game 6, it just intensified. They were so sure they would take game 7. It was such a riveting game, and when Maxwell hit that 3 in the 4th qtr to give us a 7 point lead, it was over and they knew it. People started asking for their checks, cursing, hanging their heads. It was over. 7 points in that series was more like 15. The scoring just didn't happen the way it does now.

And when it was over, they just said, "At least we got the Rangers". To NY, it means so much less with all those rings and championships.

To Houston, it was everything. I remember when the Miller Draft logo appeared and the VO said, "Congrats to the Houston Rockets" - only then did I believe it was real.