1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions about Import/Export Business

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ceonwuka, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Is anyone on here currently involved in exporting to American products to emerging markets? (Old Computers, Cars, Clothes, whatever)

For the past couple of years I've been supplying electronics (iPhones, Blackberrys and the like) to people here in the U.S. that send them overseas to places like Turkey, Brazil, The Philipines, Nigeria, Eastern Europe, etc. I've been making pretty good money doing that but I always wonder what kind of profit they make on the turnaround considering what they pay me. So my question to the BBSers out there involved in international commerce is how do you make contact with buyers in foreign markets? I've looked into sites like TradeKey.com and Alibaba.com but I've found a hard time finding legit people. Everyone looks a bit too sketchy for my taste. Any insight would be appreciated.

-Chuck

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've traveled around the Middle East, Asia and South Asia often past few years. A Blackberry will usually cost 1.5-2X the price it does in the States from my experience.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I immediately thougth of Seinfeld

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I saw the thread with no responses, my first thought was "how long before the obvious response"? I thought for sure post #2 would've been a Costanza reference.

5. Ari

Ari Member

Even if you find an interested buyer somewhere, how are you going to ship a large number of Blackberries and iPhones without ot being cost prohibitive because of customs and stuff? Also some countries have restrictions on importing of certain electronics like laptops.

6. aghast

aghast Member

Youtube has ruined the Internet when it comes to quotes, when in 20 seconds you can find what I think are the first of the recurring mentions of "Art Vanderlay," "I'm an architect," and "importer/exporter":

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZVs7oAHVjg&hl=en&fs=1&start=56"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZVs7oAHVjg&hl=en&fs=1&start=56" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anyone else, in retrospect, find it jarring to hear a laugh track on Seinfeld? It was otherwise ahead of its time; they should have realized it didn't need it.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Most customs duties overseas are overcome by locals bribing the customs officials. It is very common.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

here's another post about seinfeld derailing the OP's question because i can't help myself

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

This. What I really need is some source of RELIABLE buyers. In this economy there is a ton of fraud going on.

*I used to watch Seinfield regularly and I never saw that episode*

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I can get you some good prices on mar1juana, cocaine and heroin. But PM me through the board, the feds might be watching.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe you should just focus on the importing

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I am going to make a startup for benzoylmethylecgonine imports mostly from South American emerging markets. Need business plan and angel investors, please help on either one.