1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions about burning CDs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheFreak, Aug 13, 2000.

Tags:
  1. dc sports

dc sports Member

There is, or should be. The cables are petty standard.

Microcenter at 610 West and San Filepe (One exit north of Westhiemer) has pretty much any cable or computer accessory you could ever want.

Be sure and take the info on your computer. Better yet, if you have the case open, take your present cable.

You should be able to get a cable with 2 CD attachment points.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited August 14, 2000).]

2. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

so i connect both my CD-rom AND my burner to the secondary port on the same cable? ok.

thanks!.. (i had the burner working but not the CD-rom)

------------------
    barkley for president

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Yep. The gray ribbon cable should have two attachments that look exactly the same, on in the middle of the cable.

Just a note on something that surprised me. If you want to LISTEN to music off the CD burner, you will have to get another cable. Listening to an audio CD apparently bypasses the computer itself -- the signal goes through a separate cable which attaches directly to the sound card.

There's a short cable from your primary CD drive that looks a little like an undersized wire you might attach a wall telephone with. If you want to listen to a CD from your burner, you'll need to get another one of those.

Personally, if I play an audio CD in the computer, I just use the first CD drive. It has absoloutely no other effect on the computer.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is the popping also in the wavs you extracted or is it just in the final CD you've burned?

------------------
    Just shut up and post

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The ideal way to hook up your configuration is to put the hard drive on the first IDE channel and the CD ROM and CD writer on the 2nd IDE channel.

Your next problem is that you need to get an IDE cable with 2 IDE device connections on it (they're cheap, don't worry). That'll take care of hooking up 2 IDE devices on one IDE channel. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can get longer cables, or if you live in the Houston area, you can call Electrotex up and tell them your problem and they'll make one for you. I'd go to Comp USA or somewhere online and try to see if I can locate a longer one first.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

7. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

who'd thought so much info would be on a rox site? damm.. thanks guys.

[​IMG]

------------------
    barkley for president

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Are you doing anything while the burner is recording?

Yes, the computers are supposed to be able to multi-task, but the CD recorders can be sensitive. If something uses the processor when the burner wants to, it can cause glitches.

Just to be on the safe side, I have the screen saver set to a long delay, turn off my DSL modem, and shut off other programs while I'm actually burning. Just start the burning, and walk away. Also, you may try reducing the burning speed -- which reduces the chance of errors.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If anyone cares, I think COMPUSA has a deal on Cd's rite now. FREEEEEEE!!!!!!! You get a full refund via a mail in rebate! Time to stock up again. Oh and Ive never had a problem with Maxell CDrs. Also does anyone know if there are cds that can record over 74 minutes worth of music?

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

DoD -- I haven't tried listening to the wavs yet. I don't have speakers that work, so it's a pain to listen to stuff. What I have noticed, is that I can play the CD in the CD-ROM, and it sounds fine (headphones). I can also play it in the burner itself, and it sounds fine also. There's this one CD that I've tried recording a couple of times, and it crackles and skips all the way through. I've also noticed that this CD takes MUCH longer during the recording process than any other disc.

Rockets03 -- I'm pretty sure there are also 80-minute ones as well.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited August 15, 2000).]

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are 80 minute CD's and soon-to-be 90+ minute CD's. However, if you're going to use them for audio purposes, you may have incompatibility problems. I'd buy one, burn it, and try it out before I invest in a spindle of 100 of them. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmmm... try slowing down the record speed. For example, if you're recording at 4x, try knocking it down to 2x or 1x (yes, a pain, but it may solve the problem). But really the first thing you should do is find out if the wav files themselves have the pops/crackles in them.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

13. TheFreak

DoD -- I tried it without using a wav, with the same result. Don't know if that helps. I also tried lowering the speed from 8x to 4x, and the next time I tried to record off the CD, it went for a little bit, and then just stopped!

Here are some errors I received:

"T0100: I/O error (06/C5/00) - Write error - buffer underrun occurred
    T0100: I/O error (06/C5/00) - Write error - buffer underrun occurred
    T7118: TrackWriter error - Command retry failed"

I'm thinking of calling HP for help, but they charge 2.50 per minute.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited August 15, 2000).]

14. TheFreak

Just solved this latest problem by using the burner as both the source and destination drive. Guess it was a CD-ROM issue.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Eeeek. The dreaded buffer underrun. [​IMG] It's a very common problem.

Your CD writer has a buffer. Depending on the model/manfacturer, the size of this buffer varies. It can be something like 512k - 1 MB in size. All it is is memory in your CD writer. It's whole purpose is to act as a temporary storage space. While your writer is writing, it needs to be fed a constant stream of information. If there are any "burps" in that stream, in other words, points where the flow of information stops for whatever reason, you get a buffer underrun. The buffer helps by always providing the CD ROM with data . Think of it this way : WAV -> buffer -> CD Writer.

There are several reasons for buffer underruns : a slow hard drive, recording is going faster than the CD writer is getting information (ie, it's gobbled up the info in the buffer and is waiting for more), running other programs in the background that cause the hard drive to thrash, or if you're recording from another CD (on-the-fly), the CD you're recording FROM can't keep up with the CD Writer. This last one is sometimes really important in that fast CD's (32x +) may not necessarily be fast at DAE (digital audio extraction).

The only thing I can think of is your original CD ROM is not good at DAE. Why it would only do it on one particular CD I have no idea, though.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

16. DUDE

DUDE Member

You do NOT need to preRecord the songs as Wav files first. You can Do it CD to CD. At least on ALL the programs I have seen.
    You can put a CD in. Drag the song you want to where it needs to be. Then put another CD in a do the same. That way you can make Compilation CDs of your favorite artists. I have Done MANY and they are perfect. The WAV conversion helps save time ONLY if you are doing more than ONE CD of the same music. Other than that it is a Waste of space and TIME recording the wav first.
    As far as Recording MP3s. Using Adaptec Deluxe 4.0 you can do it WITHOUT ripping them to Wav files. That way you dont need ANY space left on your harddrive. ALl you do is drag the MP3 you want on the CD and burn it. The song sounds perfect.
    The buffer problem usually is caused by a computer that is too slow to keep up. Not saying yours is slow, but the best thing to do is close all other programs and try to burn the CD at 4X first. It will be done in less than 20 minutes and will let you hear it great. Alot of people say that you should not BURN a CD at a faster rate than 4X or you lose some quality.
    Finally, A CDR-W is different than a CDr in one main way. The tracks are not as DEEP as on a CDr. You CAN record SONGS on a CDR-W but the quality wont quite be as good and it wont play on many Stereos.. HOWEVER, depending on the brand you use as your CDr some dont play on Car Stereos, etc... But those are usually just the cheaper 'Blue' or 'Green' ones..
    By the way, I have purchased some of the newer 80 Minute CDs and have had NO problems at all. I am able to squeeze in another two songs on them and they are worth it IF your program allows 80 minute CDrs, some dont.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I made it through that entire post without going blind... anybody else? [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

18. TheFreak

DoD -- Calm down a little. DUDE is just trying to help some people out. If you're just kidding, ignore me.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, ok, I'll ignore you. [​IMG]

P.S. -- Dude, yes, I was kidding.

It's a sad day when smilies don't work anymore. What is society coming to?
    ------------------
    Just shut up and post

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited August 16, 2000).]

20. dinomonster

dinomonster Contributing Member

Hmm. I'm just guessing here, but maybe there might be a slight scratch on the CD disk you were trying to record from? That could explain why it was taking so long for your CD-recorder to copy that particular CD.

------------------