1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questioning Yao's purported "High Basketball IQ"....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silentfan, Nov 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. playahata

playahata Member

Yao still has a long way to go from where he will be. He's not as agressive in all aspects as he should be. He's pretty young, which is an excuse I have a hard time making for Francis' boneheaddedness at this time.

2. fietguy

fietguy Member

Yao questioned about his basketball iq?

you gots to be joking...right?

burning question for the board...

1) is silentfan a troll?

2) why is silentfan such a Yao hater?

-and no, we have the balls to counter your assessments which are unfounded

3. silentfan

silentfan Member

my only comment was in #4, I was talking more about jumping straight up to pass it out, instead of holding the ball up with 4 other hands all over the ball and still trying to pass out = turnover.

4. silentfan

silentfan Member

Provide an answer for my numbered comments. Otherwise you're admitting that I'm right.

5. kurtzhao

kurtzhao Member

turnover?

shaq: 2.8
    yao ming: 2.8

this season

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Look how testy everyone is after a loss.:mad: I'll tell you what, if the Rox lose to the Jazz on Wednesday, I'm going to be a little testy myself.

7. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

this is a ridiculous post. i question your basketball IQ if you fade away from the basketball when shooting. how the hell do you do that?

8. uac

uac Contributing Member

Can someone define "Basketbase IQ" first?

1) Court Vision
    2) the way to handle the pass

.....so we can compare Yao with other great centers.

Silentfan, I think you have answer for that.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I agree with 1 and 2, those are bad habits that need to be changed.

I totally disagree with #3, Yao's a great passer from what I've seen.

#4, even hakeem was cricized early on for the fade away, but once he start hitting them on normal basis the complaints were gone. I believe once Yao start developing a better touch, we'd be ok.

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

These questions have little to do with smart but I will try to answer them anyhow.
    If the play ALWAYS calls for the guard to cut, how is that a sad excuse? How is that an excuse for Yao? The play could be changed up and not have the guard cut, but that is not up to Yao and it has nothing to do with his smart or anyone's smart.
    It is actually smart to hold the ball, wait for the cutter and his defender to clear before making the move. Otherwise, the defender would simply swipe the ball away.
    This is a bad habit on Yao's part. He needs to break it. Besides it being a habit, I think he does not have good balance at times to hold the ball up high while tangling for position.
    Again, this is not smart or not smart. It has more to do with style and ability.
    This is completely false. Yao finds the open man as well or better than every post man around. Again, finding open man is an ability, a physical attribute, court vision ... not an issue of smart.
    This again has nothing to do with smart. The question just go to show you know nothing about playing ball.

It's best if you can make a move around the defender toward the basket for a layup or a dunk but if you can't do that, you have to shoot a jump shot.
    You jump straight up to shoot when you are wide open and no one is around you.
    When a defender is with you, you have to create a distance between you and him to shoot. You do that by: spin, drop-step, shake and bake or you fade away.
    A fade-away is a harder shot but it's harder to block. See MJ. See Ewing. See a lot of other shooters.

11. farhan007

farhan007 Member

why would this be in the game thread??? This isnt a thread specifcly talking about the blazers game.

12. farhan007

farhan007 Member

why are you bashing a guy, who is doing constructive critisism??? Hes not "bashing yao". He is pointing out areas he needs to improve in. You have to admit there are some areas he needs to work in, if not your saying hes better than Dream as of now... Instead of bashing the guy, maybe you can do rebutals that do not invlove words like "Yao-Hater", "Troll", "Dumbass"...etc...

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

1. A smart player mixes it up. Last night, I saw Yao, plent of times catch the pass entry and make a move right away w/o putting the ball on the floor. Now he did wait for the double team to come on occasion. But, let's see...a big man trying to draw the double team so he can dish it back out to the perimert. That sound's awfully familiar, like he's trying to work the inside-out game. Reminds of someone too, Dream, Barkley, etc.

2. I will agree w/ u that he puts the ball on the floor a little too much instead of keeping it up high...but again, if you watched last night's game, you'd see he did a much better job keeping the ball up. And plus, it's not really a question of his IQ here, it's more of a matter of correcting a bad habit...which can be hard to do even if you know you need to change it.

3. Yao's has one of the best fg%s in the league...as long as he can get hit it, that's more than enough justification. Plus, plenty of centers/pfs in this league have a fadeaway jump shot as part of their repertoire. If anything, that demonstrates his SMART IQ because he doesn't stick to one style of shot

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Yao was struggling with the double team last night because all the guards were on the other side of the floor and he couldn't see them or make the pass. When he is trapped and can't even see a teammate, jumping to pass is not a good idea. So far this year, Yao has found the open man beautifully, especially in the beginning of the Philly game. Yao actually hasn't even had to deal with straight up doubles very much this season because a lot of teams have used the zone to keep the ball out of his hands. This is the first time that i can remember this year where he struggled on multiple occasions with the double team.

15. Nova

Nova Member

Ya'll need to get off of silentfan's back. In no way did he bash Yao, actually he's trying to point out some of what he thinks is his faults and do some constructive criticism. Hey, it's not like Yao does everything right ya know? There's always room for improvement. (Also, this 'basketball IQ' term is being abused and used way to often and applied in the most ridiculous ways sometimes.) Yao does need to start his move a little quicker. He shouldn't always just wait for the double team to come, but sometimes put the ball on the floor, and either start his move or pretend to start his move. if the double team comes they'll have to commit faster and to a greater degree if they think Yao's about to make a move. This is just speculation: I think Yao may be too much into his decoy mentality sometimes.. maybe he think he'll just draw the double team all the time and let the others go to work. Also he does need to find a way to keep the ball away from pesky guards and such that somehow find their hand slapping the ball away from him. Finally, I don't see anything wrong with Yao taking fade-aways. He can make that shot pretty consistently, plus he seems comfortable taking them. I don't know how many of the shots he puts up are fade-aways, but I guess silentfan could be peeved that he takes so many when he could trying some fakes and some drives to get closer to the basket and/or get a better shot? I dunno, but anyways, silentfan does bring up some good points. Don't shoot him down so fast.

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

You just said everything I wanted to say. Thanks.

Obviously silentfan doesn't play a lot or watch a lot of basketball.

I wanted to add that after watching some games:

1. it's not a sad excuse to find cutter, in fact, a good team always find the easiest shot to score.

4. I will take a good fade away shot any day. Many times, when his fade away don't drop is because someone hitting Yao's body to knock him backward. A fadeway jump shot is a great weapon to have, you never want to be one dimensional offensive player. By the way, I enjoyed Yao's variety of moves and shots.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good try Silentfan, but those who call into question the mighty altar of Yao will face the wrath of his cult. It's the guards fault that he has bad hands and makes silly passes and gets stripped by Earl Boykins.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Good Post SilentFan. I do think Yao's HIGH IQ is sometimes overrated.

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Very nice... I sure do love people who assume everyone agrees with them. I also love how you claim 99% of the people here are afraid, and you've appointed yourself as one of the 1% here who "have balls." Ain't that just dandy? You're the brave, righteous voice of the pitiful, down-trodden masses.

Do you practice being arrogant?

Now stop putting words in the mouths of all the posters who don't see why they should bother arguing with you. Silence does not give consent on a message board.

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

That is bad technique that must be UNLEARNED by Yao! And soon!!!!