1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
Tags:
  1. Outkast9000

Outkast9000 Member

I know we are probably goin to take Ming and I trust Rudy and CD's judgement but:

WHY DO WE NEED A 7' 5 SMALL FORWARD THAT CAN'T PLAY POST DEFENSE????

This guy doesn't address our needs at all. Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing cause I don't know. All the problems w/ getting him over here and the questions of him in the post are just too much for me. Please someone help me see what this guy brings to the Rockets that will put us over the hump.

2. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

Could someone please cite a 7'5 and taller player who was not a defensive presence. Even a horrible Murhesan and a soft Bradley cause trouble for other teams with their mere size.

Is a 7'6 small forward still a small forward if he adds a jump hook. Every rocket big man has been taught the jump hook, if Ming develops it (along with his already developed perimeter game) who in the world could guard him? (you cant teach 7'6)

3. Stevie Francis

its good to have someone 7'5 that can play sf, and,pf, and CENTER!!! He will be a compete player. I think ming will be a 7'5 Dirk.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Steve Francis!! Are you coming over to the we want Ming side? You were among the Ming Haters!

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ming will not dominate in his first few years.

i think the nay sayers will be right with a lot of their accusations, but only in mings first year or two.

after that we will all see how good he is.

6. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

I've noticed people saying Yao won't dominate... or Yao will need time to prepare for NBA centers, but there aren't any good centers in the NBA. Who would have ever thought that Vlade would be the second (or third at worst) center in the league.

Duncan & J. Oneal are pf's. Mutumbo is one-dimensional. Robinson,Ewing, Morning are washed up. If he can't dominate or at least hold his own LaFrentz, Kandi man and Battie immediate then i'm inclined to believe he will be a bust. Those guys suck.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Duncan is a Center. If the Spurs hadn't had Robinson, Duncan would never have seen a minute at PF.

8. Panda

Panda Member

Nice point, and the good news is Yao already has that hook shot in his repetoir(spelling?), I've seen him grabbed an offensive board, launching a 3 feet jump hook, with his left hand. Hit nothing but the net. With more refinement, that shot can become deadly, think about it, a 7-5 big man that can shoot a jumper, dunk, make a layup and fire jump hooks with both hands. No wonder the GMs in the league are drooling all over him.

9. Outkast9000

Outkast9000 Member

Aight, I understand everything you guys are saying but the fact remains, THIS GUY CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE ON A PRO BALL LEVEL. The arguement can be made that no rookie is ready for NBA ball but the way that people drool over this cat on this board, I would expect him to be the next Olajuwon. I hope and pray that ya'll are right and this guy is awesome but i'm not worried about this guy's offensive skills at all. I'm worried bout his durability and his defense. I DO NOT WANT to turn into the Mavs. I want defense, I want hustle plays, I want rebounds. I hope this guy is legit, I pray this guy is legit. If the Rockets aren't playoff bound next year I will boycott bball.

C

God I hope everybody is right for busting over themselves over Ming

10. forloop

forloop Member

Did Ralph Sampson have a jump hook? Was he a defensive presence? It's been so long I cannot remember but, no matter, he was only 7'4".

I do remember in the '86 semifinals, Bill Hanzlik completly shut Sampson down. It should be noted that the jump hook is only effective if you can get into position to take it to begin with. Unless Ming can hit a 17' jump hook.

Bottom line is no one knows what Ming will do in the NBA. But seeing how we don't need Jay Williams and we do need a center, unless a trade can be made, Ming is the obvious choice.

Besides, if Ming one day hits a last second prayer that puts the Rockets back into the championship like Sampson once did, it'll be worth the risk.