1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Question) Why do Overweight Individuals Stay Overweight.....?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMania1991, Dec 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SunsRocketsfan

hey that's not fair to question my loyalty as a Rockets fan. I've been a Rockets fan longer than a lot of the newer members on here and I know the history of the Rockets since the San Diego days. I was a huge Barkley fan hence the Suns/Rockets but that was back in the 90's/early 2000's. Oh well at least I don't have Steve Francis or Tmac in my moniker :)

:grin:

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There's a reason why those people are on the show. It's because they realize they need that kind of motivation because their condition makes them sad, like you pointed out. Just like you want to be left alone they want to be yelled at , pushed, and motivated. I dont understand it completely either, but it's obviously working a lot more than not. Plus, you have to consider the editing that takes place on a show like that as well. They're also doing a lot to increase their confidence and self-esteem.

It's really not that time consuming to maintain the weight once you lose it. Losing the extra 30, 40, 50 etc pounds is the hardest and it sounds like you've done that. Maintaining it shouldn't be that difficult unless you're eating a lot of food or it's dense with calories. If that's what you prefer, then it's up to you. I just don't like the perception that to stay fit or just not overweight you have to live in the gym, eat like a rabbit, and have no social or family life. Plenty of people do it while working, going to school, and still manage to go out and spend time with family.

3. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I can't physically keep the weight off without spending an inordinate amount of my time concentrating on it. It is not worth it to me. Perhaps others can do it, but I can not.

4. RocketMania1991

Once again I didn't intend this to be offensive. I'm not trying to be ignorant just because I'm younger and its substantially easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle at this stage of my life.

I hope that as I age I will be able to continually stay healthy regardless of my job or other distractions.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I gained 30 pounds since I started working (5+ years) so I know what you're going through. Though to be fair I was really skinny just out of school (120 lbs at 5'8"). I've now actually pushed back 5 lbs in the last year after diet and exercise change.

I never count the calorie intake when I eat BUT do realize that most places give you more food that you need. Don't drink a coke or have fries with your burger. If you eat out at a sit down lunch, know that most lunch portions at restaurants are really two meals, ask for a to go box (I get one almost every time I eat with friends, saves money too). If I'm cooking myself, use a smaller pan, which will more or less force you to cook less food. Invest in containers so that you can put into fridge what you cook. Actually if you also try to limit the cost of a meal to $1.50 (egg, rice + scallions with a touch of salt for example) each person when you cook, you will also naturally eat smaller portions.

Also as far as time goes, do you spend an hour watching TV in day? Just do jump ropes when you do, or when you're cooking, multi-task is awesome and saves you time. I usually do the dishes from the previous meal when I cook.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Try forcing yourself to spend only $1.50 a meal, think of it as more a money saving challenge instead of a weight challenge. See if that would help, it's worked for me so far.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It takes an incredible amount of dedication if you want to keep that weight off or to just stay in good shape in general. Even hardcore gymrats have to follow very strict diets, work out when they don't want to, and generally have considerable lifestyle sacrifices they have to make if they want to maintain their ideal shape. No pain no gain. The only difference is, unfortunately the overweight has some 'catching up' to do so it may take longer. The main point is, if you want long-lasting results you need to make permanent changes in your lifestyle.

8. Major Malcontent

Actually I DON'T want results..I just want people to treat me with a modicum of respect.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they don't love sex

10. teknokid

teknokid Member

answer me please. Why only in American Why?

11. teknokid

teknokid Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some more advice for those looking to lose weight and stay in shape. It really helps to work out with other people and also have friends that both support with you and you can also train competitively with. Unless you are really dedicated it is hard to just work out alone, especially doing things like running on a treadmill or lifting weights. It helps to have someone else there to help motivate you.

Also find some sort of sport you like. I don't usually work out just to work out but to be better at my sport. Personally I hate lifting weights, doing pushups and etc. but if I think this will help me improve, or these days just keep up, my performance that motivates me more than thinking about my appearance.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

what i don't get is why people care that people are fat...don't pretend like you care about their well being, or you wouldn't be talking sh%t about them, you would be genuinely concerned with how to help them.

fat people should stay fat if they want to, as long as they don't complain about the things they can't do because of their weight it really shouldn't effect anyone else outside of the medical community.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Had one today. You feel like the **** after you get a good run in.

I don't understand why some people get defensive and call others stupid. No one is attacking you. My bro is a fat and it concerns me.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It most certainly does effect other people, directly and indirectly. Obesity is a huge issue that we have not come to grips with. Obesity ranks up there with cigarette smoking. It certainly places a heavier burden on society than those in normal weight ranges. Have you had to take care of an overweight person? Do you think its fair medical staff have to throw out their backs trying to move over weight people?...simply because fat people should stay fat if they want to?

16. The Drake

The Drake Member

this character says 'hello'

[​IMG]

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it fair for me to pay more for music and movies because people illegally download them?

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you really believe you pay higher prices due to piracy?

19. Major Malcontent

Tell you what guys...I was raised in cancer alley right by the ship channel. Normal sized mom and aunt both have cancer...but if I somehow dodge that bullet and develop heart disease or adult onset diabetes, I promise to make every effort to just die, so I keep your health care costs down.

Only fair right.

It's not like I enjoy going to the doctor anyway, if I go in because someone lopped off my finger with a hacksaw they treat the finger for 5 minutes and harangue me about my weight for 45.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. If a magic wand could be waved and all thievery of music was forever wiped away, I believe that prices would drop. The same with software.