1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question: Who are your draft sleepers?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ottomaton, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My question is this:

For guys who are projected to go in the second round or be undrafted, who do you think could turn out to be a real quality NBA player and why? (Please try to avoid the obvious picks, like Terrance Morris.)

The ones that come to mind for me are:

• Cookie Belcher:
      Historicaly, several PG's who preform poorly on the offensive end have fallen to the late first/early second round, yet nevertheless have turned out to be solid NBA players. The two examples which come to mind are Eric Snow and Jacque Vaughn and Eric Snow. Belcher reminds me alot of Snow, and is built like a Nebraska strong safety, not a Nebraska PG.
    • Keith Bogans:
      Ok, he'll probably bounce around for 2 or 3 years, but I look at him and I see former Wildcat Derrek Anderson. He should have stayed in school, but if he keeps developing his game he has enough talent to be a NBA starter.

and
    • Tony Harris:
      This one is a bit of a reach, but he genuinely can play. I see him as a PG version of John Starks. He's a punk and not a natural PG, but I think he could find a niche.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited June 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited June 16, 2001).]

2. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Good topic...

I agree with you on Belcher...he's tough. Tony Harris I'm not high on at all though. He's just an inconsistent gunner, and the college ranks are full of those, which makes me think he's nothing special.

I like Bogans--he's really strong and physical for a 2 guard, but he could really use another year to fine tune his offensive game.

Here are mine...

Terence Morris-->the fact that some mocks have him not being drafted is ridiculous. I still say he'll end up in the first round. The guy has got skills and I think they will be better utilized in the NBA than they were at Maryland.

Rashad Phillips-->A lot of people have compared him to the Speedy Claxton of last year's draft, but from what I have seen of him I think he'll be a lot better. He can really score for a little man, and in that fashion he reminds me of a poor man's AI.

Jeryl Sasser-->Against the zone it's good to have players that can do a little of everything on offense...handle the ball, pass, shoot...he listed taller than most people thought at 6'7" and I'm sure there are plenty of teams in the second round that could go for a versatile talent like him.

------------------
    Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock...

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Collins Brothers-Can shoot.

Murphy. Has skills, but will he be able to defend well.

Wallace...a shot away.

Biggest Sleeper-Zach Randolf, needs work on defensive footwork and weightroom.

Maurice Evans-NBA Body who during year off lost his three point shot....I'm biased though. Not a ballhandler.

Arenas....can flat out play despite being runt.

------------------

4. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

Take a look at my sig,I think the steal of the draft will be Sam Clancy!!!

If Morris goes in the 2nd round then whoever gets him will get a really good player,if hes still there at the TWolves 2nd round pick I would pick him up and then they would still get a potentially 1st round pick.

I also think Earl Watson could have just as good season as any of the other points (including Cook and Tinsley),and I still want Ken Johnson!!!

------------------
    AKA Rendiggler

Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy

5. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I really like Clancy's game...but I think he pulled out of the draft.

------------------
    Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock...

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I'll agree with Jerryl Sasser. He needs some shooting and shot selection help, but he can grow into that and he has real nice skills and size.

I'll also say that if Ken Johnson falls into the second round or the tail end of the first, he's going to make a team happy. He won't be a star, but he will be an NBA player for a long time.

------------------

7. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

Clancy really pulled out?I didnt hear,Oh well,maybe thats good,he needs to work on his shot!

------------------
    AKA Rendiggler

Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy...Sam Clancy

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely Jerryl Sasser

He is big and can do many things. He needs to work on his shot but it is not as bad as, say, Eric Snow when he came out.

I think he will have a productive, not spectacular, carreer.

------------------
    I have just realized that the stakes are myself
    I have no other
    ransom money, nothing to break or barter but my life
    my spirit measured out, in bits, spread over
    the roulette table, I recoup what I can
    nothing else to shove under the nose of the maƮtre de jeu
    nothing to thrust out the window, no white flag
    this flesh all I have to offer, to make the play with
    this immediate head, what it comes up with, my move
    as we slither over this go board, stepping always
    (we hope) between the lines

#13 Member

i know the topic is unknown or second rounders..... but i find that Troy Murphy and Michael Bradlye are not getting enough credit. These guys are as every same bit similiar to Battier and only reason why Battier is high in demand is probably cuz he cameout with the trophy. and the ultimate darkhorse will be Ousmaine Cisse, 6'8 240 he is gonna grab all the rebounds, block all the shots, make some nasty dunks. He will prob be anthony mason, bo outlaw, ben wallace valuable in the league.

------------------

#13 Member

similiar to Battier in sound play. But battier gets higher reconition cuz he had a all star lineup.

------------------

11. fatmontjellyroll

sleepers---deep sleep

nate james duke - former mcdonalds all american subjugates his game for the good of team, too many other top players, would be excellent 2nd round pick for someone

ousmane cisse h.s. - pure energy, what he lacks in polish makes up for in hustle and heart,

kenny satterfield cinncinati - playground style point but strength speed combination is nba approved, will play somewhere

light sleepers,

rodney white charlotte - me thinks he competes w battier for rookie of the year

jamal tinsley iowa state - developing a jump shot is easier than developing athletic ability, will be nice player

choreography stiffer than lee harvey oswalds' prison transfer

------------------

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I give it a 50% chance that Jason Collins is starting by the end of the year. The knees are fine.

Terence Morris is going to be just fine in the pros. He'll have a solid rookie season if he gets the minutes. All the skills are there. People who think he's going to fall out of the draft don't know basketball.

Another good one is Kirk Haston. I was at the Hoosiers' first round loss in the NCAAs this year. Yeah, they lost, but it wasn't this kid's fault. He did everything -- he banged inside, popped threes, and showed a nice little hook shot.

Earl Watson reminds me a lot of Andre Miller going into this draft. Nothing flashy in college. Just won a ton of games with a huge will to win. Of course he's not as good as Miller, but he'll be a solid NBA contributor.

------------------

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Gilbert Arenas... Not a HUGE sleeper, but I think he could be a 20 points 5 assist guy...

Great athleticism to go with his decent handling and his great jumpshot with range...

Only problem would be being 6 ft 3, but I really don't care...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

14. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Gilbert Arenas with a 20 point scoring average, I don't see it. I hope for the sake of the NBA he would be no better than a fourth option on any team.

------------------
    the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

[This message has been edited by hitman21 (edited June 18, 2001).]

15. wink3

wink3 Member

A Big time sleeper that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is Trenton Hassel from Austin Peay. A 6'5'' guard who can light it up.