1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Question]Saving fuel/food receipts during Ike

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by scv_rockets, Sep 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

I've been hearing a lot of things about this, but I just wanted some clarification to see if it's true or not But....
    Should we save our gas and food receipts from gas stations and grocery stores? Does FEMA do any kind of reimbursement?

2. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I don't know much about it, but I spoke to my boss. He said he bought an $800 generator and FEMA is going to reimburse it 100%. I'm thinking there is going to be some type of limit, such as only people that were in mandatory evacuation zones, or something to that effect. I know FEMA has a website, I think it's a .org, but I'm not totally sure. I would save everything for now, and do some research on their website or get a phone number to find out for sure. Good luck.

Pugs

4. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the goverment will not reimburse every person that bought a generator, gas or food. I read that they will only reimburse a generator if it was medicaly needed. If you search it on google, there are plenty of reports on the subject.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was wondering about that...I searched on FEMA's website (which sux) and couldn't find anything...

I'll buy my parents a generator anyway, I just want to know if there is even a possiblility of being reimbursed...

6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I think some of the money you spend will be tax deductible too. I remember getting a tax break for the Rita evac.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You should hold on to all your receipts if you are going to file a claim to your insurance, you'll need them to meet your deductible.

I also found out from a friend that if you call and an adjuster comes out to inspect, but you don't meet your deductible, you still get a strike against you on your future claims for dropping you.

Be careful when claiming on your insurance and make sure you have enough damage to make a claim.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

DO NOT return food you have left over to stores. They cannot resell any food. A manager at Wal-Mart told me that they, by law, cannot resell food that has left their store, so anything you return will be in the trash. Give it to someone who is in need, like the Food Bank, or Salvation Army, or your community church. :eek:

Yes, yes, I know this thread is not about that, but I thought I'd mention it here.

9. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I know that during Rita a friend of mine filed with Rita because he lost about $400 of food due to power being out and was reimbursed. He had no receipts. Not sure if you can still do that now or not.

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

So I can't return my filet mignons back to Central Market!!?? Or the six eggs I have left over from the dozen I bought!? :mad:

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's right, brother. To the TRASH it will go. :eek:

:D You know what I meant, you silly goose. I meant all that "non-perishable" you thought you'd use and then didn't use it, and now you want your money back for it? It ain't happening, skippy. Take it to the food bank.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I heard that if you are without power now FEMA will pay for a hotel if your county is one that was declared disaster area by the president.

Anyone have any info on this or how to get involved?