1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question regarding Clyde and Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dream34, Feb 4, 2000.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I am not sure when he is eligible to enter the NBA Hall of Fame. I realize that he played the majority of his playing career with the Trailblazers. I think Clutch referenced that Portland will be retiring his jersey next year.

However which teams jersey will he enter into the Hall Of Fame? Houston or Portland? I just think that since he is a native son to Houston and that he won his only championship with the Rockets. That may help him deciding to go into the Hall of Fame as a Rocket. I hope so.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

generally players are eligible 5 years after they retire...so clyde should be eligible to be voted in after the 2002-2003 season...i would suspect that clyde will go in wearing a blazer uniform...he was well-liked in portland and spent the vast majority of his career playing there...

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Why can't they just do both like Les did?

I'm not saying every player in the Hall of Fame should have every jersey from every team they ever played with. But, if a player did play an important part of his career on a couple of teams, why not have a couple of jerseys??

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe since he had always talked about playing in Houston, and then winning his championship here, he'll go in as a Rocket. However, I think he'll go in as both, which is perfectly fine.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Elie#17

both drexler and jordan's first season off was last year (not counting jordan's 18 month gambling suspension, uh, i mean baseball career)...

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Clyde went appeared at the NBA fifty greatest in his TrailBlazers uniform. It stands to reason that he'll do the same when he enters the Hall of Fame. Although he did win a championship with Houston, he was already a lock for the Hall of Fame long before he donned a Rockets uniform.
    Plus, his prime was obviously spent as a Blazer. So it would be very tough, and probably a major slight to the city of Portland, if he were to enter the Hall of Fame as a Rocket.
    But at least his jersey is hanging from the rafters in the Compaq Center... [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, its been a long time since I last posted in here. Anyway, I think Clyde should go in as a TrailBlazer, not because he spent the majority of his career there, but because he spent the best years of his career there. It was in Portland that he put up the numbers that have given him his primary consideration for being entered into the HOF. The way I figure it its only logical.

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Is there any chance that Clyde won't be voted in the 1st year, to let MJ go in by himself?
    I do agree w/ outlaw that if they go in together that MJ will get all the press.
    I think it would be much better for Clyde to not go in w/ MJ.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it's great if they go in together.

1) At the HOF, the plaques will be right next to each other which will allow more people to see what clyde drexler was all about. And they will be like, "damn, he was almost as good as Jordan!"

2) Second, It will increase Clyde Drexler's press because 10x as many people will be interested in the ceremony.

3) The ceremony will be much more memorable with Jordan there. To me, that's a good thing.

4) Drexler would want it that way. He isn't one to be in the spotlight.

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Does anybody know if the HOF allows a player to be entered under the banner of more than one team? Has any other player ever done it?

Obviously, it isn't an issue for players like MJ, Dream, Magic, Bird, etc. Their careers were spent entirely in one uniform. I think DREAMer's right, though, that it would make sense for players like Clyde (Blazers/Rockets) and Charles (Sixers/Suns) to be remembered for their stellar contributions to different teams.

If they're only allowed to claim one team, you can bet Clyde will be a Blazer and Chuck will be a Sixer. As AstroRocket pointed out, it comes down to where they most earned their Hall of Fame reputation.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Unfortunately Clyde will be entering the Hall of Fame the same year as Jordan and he will be overshadowed by MJ yet once again.

12. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Outlaw,

I disagree that Drexler will be "overshadowed" by Jordan. They're players apart, and Clyde has his own track record. Once people get to the level that they're reaching the Hall of Fame, I doubt that the consideration has to do with comparing one player to another.

-Elie#17

p.s. didn't drexler retire before jordan?