1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question/heads up for Tuesday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by goophers, Mar 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. goophers

goophers Member

I've never voted in a primary, so I'm not sure how the rules are in Texas. I did early voting last week -- first time voting in Dem primary, which I never thought I'd do.

From the TX Dems website, it looks to me like you can vote in the primary, but then also attend the precinct convention and vote there on Tuesday night. I'm surprised by that because it seems like I can effectively cast two votes. Can any of the Dems here confirm that this is how it works? Thanks in advance.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

If I understand it right, Texas Democrats have roughly 190 elected delegates. 120 are elected by the primary. 70 are elected by precinct caucuses on Tuesday night. So by all indications yes, you would be voting twice.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

to caucus all you have to do is return to where you voted and sign in. i dont even think you have to stick around. so basically your vote is only 2/3rds of your support. the other 1/3 comes from the caucusing.

and like you, i never voted in a primary (republican or democrat), but ron paul is out so im casting my vote AGAINST hillary, which means ill be voting for obama.

a bunch of idiots posted all these hillary signs in my neighborhood on stop signs and other public utility poles. im pretty sure you cant do that so as i was walking my dog last nite around 2 i did my civic duty and ripped a bunch of them down.

HAHA!

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Some anecdotal evidence from my early voting:

I did early voting on Friday in West Houston. The demographics was about 80-85% black people. Mind you, the area where I voted does not have a concentrated black population, thus I found it interesting that many blacks were out in full force.

There were very few whites and no Hispanics. I was the only one who voted Republican (Ron Paul) as the machines were set apart for Democrats and Republicans. Thus you could clearly see what party someone is voting for.

I really despise Hilary and find Obama a very worthy and capable candidate and someone I would be content if he was President, but I voted on principle for Ron Paul.

This was my first primary I was voting in as well.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If you early voted, your caucus site might not be the same as your early voting polling place. If you're voting Obama, go to this link to find your caucus location and make sure you're there between 7 and 7:15pm (after that, you're out of luck):

http://my.barackobama.com/TXlookup

If you're voting for someone else, go to any Kroger parking lot at 8 and ask for Louie. He will tell you what to do next.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You know that it is a crime, right?

Was this you?

http://news.findlaw.com/court_tv/s/20041022/22oct2004165914.html

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it a crime to tear down campaign material that is posted on stop signs and utility poles? I find it hard to believe that it is a crime to take down campaign material posted on a stop sign.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Not sure which misdemeanor would trump the other, tearing them down or putting them up improperly. I'll give jomama the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/news/local_news/laredo_news/002-2006.htm

9. cson

cson Contributing Member

that's right: www.txdemocrats.org

It's pretty much "new" to everyone as it is usually already decided by the time we votes the voting.