1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the Pro-Tankers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, May 29, 2012.

?

Would Pro-Tankers be ok with this move?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I'm not sure why I feel like folks will be igniting their flamethrowers, maybe because it happens to be the year of the Yao, but with perfect hindsight, the 8th, 14th and 16th could have netted you the following in 2002:

Amare Soudemire, Tayshaun Prince and Carlos Boozer. Scola was the 55th pick.

Just invent some glasses with hindsight and the Rockets problems could be over in a year or two.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am not a pro tanker. I am a pro rebuilder but even still that would be a great deal no matter which side you take in my opinion.

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I just put etc. after Rivers. I wasn't necesarrily targeting those players at all!

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

that deal wont happen. 8th pick will take much more than Lowry. It was still the fantasy stuff played over the years.

to tank, here is the deal: Lowry for a late 1st round pick.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

No. It has been done before for much less. Battier ring a bell? Morey needs to get it done. Swapping lower picks and using Lowry if he needs to.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this is very much a Battier-type trade -- promising mid-lotto pick for a solid starter. I wouldn't think Toronto would be the best counter-party, because they aren't really in range of being decent. I'd think Portland would be better since they're intending to launch back into the playoffs next season. But, I don't see them doing it with Deron Williams still out there.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep. I keep going to the point where I would be willing to move the Rockets 16th pick plus Lowry for the 6th or 8th pick. I hope Morey is too depending if who he wants falls there.

8. JD88

JD88 Member

Kobe Bryant was the #13 pick.
    Paul Pierce was the #10 pick.

8, 14, 16 is more then good enough if you pick the right people.

9. joesr

joesr Member

would depend on whom we got with the picks

I would rather trade up for 2 better picks in which to build around

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nah, that's like a soft tank. As you said, not really tanking. Either you go all in tanking or go all out trying to win. No more middling. No half-ass efforts either way.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Looking at drafts in hindsight offers no help on this subject. Pick the right people you say? I suppose all the NBA teams are reading thrown acorns to make their picks?

12. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I would, because this is an unusual draft. The top five is set. However, there from 6-20, there are a number of risky guys with star potential if things go right. I'm not saying these three are who we should draft, but Austin Rivers, Perry Jones, and Meyers Leonard are a few examples of players who could be busts or could be all stars.

Get the three picks, take the three gambles Morey likes best, and hope one of them turns into the all-star we need

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

To clarify, when I say I support tanking it, I do not mean for the team to intentionally try t lose nor do I actually like the team losing either. What I would like to see is for the Rockets to blow up our current core group of veterans and start over with developing young talent, either at hand or acquired through subsequent trades and drafts. We will not immediately win and will suck (a group of young kids will win the odd games every now and then), potentially for a while as we draft and sign to build up. Let's face it, the way this team is assembled, the best we can look at is a first round exit every year.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Charlotte plan?

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I was a pro-tanker, but I was wrong. I didn't account for the tanking teams that were much worse than we.

I don't want draft picks this year, save for the PingPongBall gods to shine shine shine; I want our picks and players moved for better and better players.

I want to be still playing 6/1/13. I don't want to watch the 2013 NBA Draft Lotto Show!

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You are assuming that DM who has a proven record of drafting successfully and properly manages our salary cap would put out the same performance of MJ who has yet to properly draft anyone? :confused:

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You are assuming that Charlotte is bad because of the plan. Charlotte is bad because of what you said. Bad implementation of the plan. But the nature of what Charlotte is trying to do and how is exactly what many here are suggesting for the Rockets to do.

But even with better people behind it, the Charlotte plan can fail. In fact, it mostly fails, or all those perpetually bad teams would get better. But most of them dont. So again one has to ask. Is it a bad plan, or bad implementation of the plan?

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So if J Lamb falls more than 4 spots past Beal you move up and get him. It could be a draft day steal.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Better than nothing, but it's not top flight Yao Ming kind of talent. Not a sure thing superstar, that tanking will get you..

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Oden ... Durant. For Portland it succeeded then failed. No fault of their own. There is no way to forecast injuries.