1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[QUESTION FOR OLDER POSTERS] How good was Moses Malone?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BleedRocketsRed, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Fo-fo-fo was pretty diva like, although they did get real close, lol

2. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Put it this way.

He took Dream at Fonde rec center and turned him from an soft, unpolished african baller into a dominant NBA Baller.

And im sure you seen dream play.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f0zSdN5ceXU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

(Yeah thats my upload :p)

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would take a prime Moses Malone over anyone in the NBA today to build a team around.

He was a great player. He was a good teammate. He played center. And he didnt take **** from anyone.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Everyone in their primes or everyone as right now?

i.e. Does that include a prime Duncan, prime Kobe, prime Kidd, prime Nash, prime Dirk, prime KG, etc?

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would probably take him over anyone on that list other than a prime Duncan. Duncan was pretty badass in his prime.

Moses was just plane nasty in a good way. Think Ben Wallace with a offensive of Amare.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The only one I would think twice about would be a prime Kobe.

8. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Exactly.

A BEAST - long before calling someone a beast was the "in" thing to do.

Pull up some of his boxscores. You will be amazed at the consistency in which he rebounded (at 6'10"... against much bigger centers).

Awesome demeanor on the court, too.

Under-rated footwork and ridiculously strong. Barkley type lower body strength and Rodman type anticipation.

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Or Wes Unseld type strength, for some of my co-older Clutchfan members....lol

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Relentless! The guy would just bang from opening tipoff til the last bucket.

11. Damion Laverne

FIXED

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Moses = Definition of BEAST. Not the prettiest post moves, but he wasnt a big stiff either, still effective putting the ball through the hoop.

Big STRONG hands. Could snag rebounds out the air one-handed like its grabbing a grapefruit.

Relentless. He knew exactly what he was and what he was gonna do, everyone else knew exactly what he was and what he was gonna do, and still couldnt be stopped cuz he worked THAT much harder than the next man.

Also Moses was a FREE THROW MACHINE. And shot a decent percentage too for a big man. Free throws arent glamorous, but its part of the game and drawing fouls helps soften up defenses for the whole team.

Keep in mind that was NOT the era OF FLOPPING, thats HARD EARNED trips to the line.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hp2H42BjuhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Moses Malone was the 2nd best Rocket player of all time, Hakeem being # 1. He was a relentless infighter, a beast in the paint. He banged in the old school NBA, when things were a lot tougher inside and out.

I used to go down to the Fonde Rec gym and watch him and Hakeem go at it. Malone had a lot to do with the development of Olajuwon's game.

15. 713

713 Member

T-mac.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

moses was a great player but he may have been even better as a speaker. the man's post game interviews were poignant and eloquent. i believe he was in line for a rhodes scholarship but turned it down for basketball reasons.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Moses was the best and its a damn shame how underrated he is by basketball historians.

These are his numbers in his rocket years.

PPG RPG

76-77 13.5 13.4
    77-78 19.4 15.0
    78-79 24.8 17.6
    79-80 25.8 14.5
    80-81 27.8 14.8
    81-82 31.1 14.7

Moses led the league in rebounding 6 times in his career. The man was dominant never b**** and just came out and physically beat you up every single night.

I remember a game at the Forum while he was still with the Rockets. I don't remember but someone took a jumper from the outside and it was missed and Moses came out of no where and jumped and threw it down as it came off the rim. These were the days before break away rims and the force he dunked the ball with bent the rim and the game had to be delayed a half hour while the arena workers installed a new rim.

18. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

So how many prime years did we get out of him? How did he get injured and how long was he playing injured before he hung it up?

19. MONON

MONON Member

When Moses stepped onto the court, he was immediately drewnched in sweat. That's how hard he worked.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 MVPs and NBA finals > nothing aka Tmac

TOFs aren't Rockets fans.