1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Bernie Supporters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I just see through Bernie's charade. To a multi-millionaire with three homes calling out others right to exist when
    500,000 are on the streets.

You have three homes!!! Bernie you are a millionaire with 3 homes and there are 500,000 homeless people.

This argument can keep going pretty far

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really not understand? He isn't saying the people shouldn't exist. He's saying they shouldn't be billionaires. He isn't advocating the removal of living people off the face of the earth.

If Billionaires were no longer billionaires I can't really think anyone think anyone would be hurt and many would be helped.

It isn't about legal or illegal. It's about right and wrong. It isn't illegal to pay children in 3rd world countries a few dollars a day to work in unsafe and inhumane conditions, but it is wrong. That's just one example. It isn't illegal for Amazon to pay zero taxes, but it isn't right. Bernie is suggesting fixing those types of things.

3. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Bernie himself has said that a class of people shouldn't exist. If you don't see that he truly believes that and it CAME OUT OF HIS own
    mouth. He believes it. That is a sickness to believe someone shouldn't exist not because they're wealthy, as he is very wealthy, but because
    they're wealthier than him. Just because someone has a certain amount of money they shouldn't exist.

Oh yeah everyone in the world can say anything and the answer is "Well Trump said this!" Glad Trump is your barometer for morality now.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bernie Sanders is a 78 year old man who has worked 40 years on a upper middle class salary and has some book sales. Do you know how many elderly people who worked that long with a 200,000 dollar salary save up a couple of million?

It seems like a hopeless case to engage with you because you are just going to beat up extreme strawmen.

Bernie Sanders has said time and time again that Billionaires shouldn't exist WHEN 60% of Americans love pay check to pay check and skip seeing the doctor even when they are full time workers.

If billionares still exist after all Americans have proper healthcare and proper opportunities in education, then so be it.

5. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

So what is the cap on Income or wealth? What is that number?

Do you think it is ok for someone to have 3 homes?? How is that moral when 500,000 people are homeless???

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Is it ok to own three homes in a country where 500,000 people sleep on the streets??
    If you can't see the illogic of his arguments then I don't know what to say.

7. fchowd0311

Again with beating up strawmen. Bernie couldn't give two ****s if billionares still exist after we provide an equal chance at high quality education for all citizens, proper healthcare for all citizens and successfully tackle long term issues such as climate change.

If people can still achieve being billionares in that system, then so be it.

8. fchowd0311

Yes. Because Bernie's criticism has noting to do with the individual. It has to do with a system.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But it isn't the same. He isn't saying having lots of money is bad. He's saying have the amount of money that Billionaires have isn't needed and he's right. I think he's going about it the wrong way, but it makes sense.

Here's how little difference it would make to those on the top and how big of a difference it could make to those in the middle and at the bottom.
    (I'm not suggesting this as a policy or something that should be done exactly. I'm using this example only to show you the difference it could make.)

If a billionaire had 2 billion dollars and they were to give away Five Hundred Million of that. They would still actually be a billionaire. They would have 1.5 billion. But they could give everyone else in the United Sates one million dollars. They would still be uber-rich, have money to donate, have money to hire workers, they could still live in luxury beyond reason. At the same time for at least a little bit, hunger here would end. Homelessness would be erased. People could afford quality education and universities. There would be a huge influx of money into our economy.

That isn't a policy that I am proposing or that Bernie or anyone else is proposing, but it is an example to show how little billionaires would suffer if they were no longer billionaires and the kind of difference that could be made for everyone else.

Saying Billionaires shouldn't be billionaires and that nobody should be a billionaire wouldn't hurt anyone if that came to be.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

So the argument used to be there shouldn't be rich people if some people don't have food.
    Then it was there shouldn't be rich people while people are homeless.
    Now its there shouldn't be rich people until everyone has healthcare.
    And next it will be there shouldn't be rich people until everyone has an education.

What is next? Do you ever believe it will stop?

It was the Cadillac plans and belief in medicine that led to the shortage and lack of care.
    Your ideas are based on envy and hate of people. Perhaps people hate based on their own
    failures but I don't know how someone could hate anyone because they are rich. Especially if
    they started a company and provided something that we as free liberal society participants willingly
    purchased.

11. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

This is indicative of people like Bernie! It's not about what I do but about what others do.
    I can have three homes but other's shouldn't. I can fly around the country and take private jets but others
    should limit their C02 output as they're destroying the environment.

I believe we are the change we want to be in the world and don't expect others to do things you are not willing
    to do yourself.

Asking other's to live with less when you are not willing to is really horrible.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I would put the cap at $999,999,999. People have the freedom to do what they want within some hopefully modified laws with that money.

Why go after someone with three homes? Do they work in more than one place? If so they probably should have more than one home. I think you need to reform where you get the most bang for the buck. Going after all of the people who have a few million and three homes isn't going to turn up as money to pay down our deficit spending, put money into the economy, address inequality in education, help reform our criminal justice system and help improve our healthcare system the way going after people who are billionaires.

Sure people who have as much money as Bernie could also pay a slight bit more. I think Bernie would be fine with that.

13. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Who are you to take someone's money away from them?

As an American making $50,000 a year you are in the top 1% of Americans. Perhaps the people in Afghanistan or
    India or Rwanda should tell you that you have food, transportation, healthcare and housing and that you shouldn't need more.
    You shouldn't have to buy Rockets tickets or a better TV or take a vacation when others have so much less.

You can lead by example.

14. fchowd0311

Look dude, there is no reality where Michael Bloomberg did 30 thousand times the labor of a proffesional engineer or medical doctor. A system that disproportionately benefits the wealthy because they have undue influence in our legislative process has created a system where billionares and corporations can exploit labor, exploit tax loopholes etc.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how much corporations rely on our public tax payer infrustrcture to generate their profits and yet many of them pay hardly any in federal taxes.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not taking anyone's money. I have no problem with taxes taking it. It can be put to better use as I mentioned while at the same time not hurting those that have that much money.

Are you using numbers to try a make a point instead of the actual numbers? A person making 50K a year does not put them in the top 1% of Americans.

I think you might have misunderstood how the numbers work.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/27/how...be-in-the-top-1percent-in-every-us-state.html

This comes from the same article
    That is an average salary for the bottom 99%. That isn't the threshold that will put you in the top 1%.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

@Rocketman1981 sounds like a trust fund baby trying to justify his "success"

When I see this video I think of Rocketman.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

To be in the top 1% in the world you need $700k in wealth. So having millions
    If you make $100,000 a year in the US you are making 10x the average world income. The Average income in India is like $500 a year.
    If you make $100,000 a year did you do 200x as much work as the indian?

Isn't that enough for you? Why do you need Rockets tickets or Starbucks or Polo shirts?

The fairness thing dies pretty quickly and we as Americans should just give up most our lifestyle and stuff and subsidize the world.

18. fchowd0311

You definitely are a trust fund baby.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't have any understanding where is coming from. Are Billionaires hurt by no longer being billionaires but instead having $999,999,999? No.

Can that money be used to help the economy, healthcare, education, and infrastructure of our country? Yes.

That concept just isn't one of hate as much as he wishes to claim that it is.

Two Sandwiches and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

None of that changes anything I said. I said take the money from where you will get the most bang for your buck. That can be done without damaging even those the top of the income earners.

Why are you bringing India into this?