1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for anyone who might have frequented Numbers (the club) in the late 80's

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Aug 4, 2008.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Whoa, NICE!!! One of my favorite finds from this board!!! :eek:

Thanks jw!!!

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Just curious, how do Clubs in the 80s compare to the clubs nowadays? Of course, this is for folks who've been clubbing in the 80s and 2000s. Then again, if you went clubbing in the 80s, you probably should have stopped by now.

3. jw1144

jw1144 Contributing Member

I was pretty pumped when I found that site too :cool:

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I remember the first time I went to Power Tools. So you go down the stairs and you're in the main area, and at the back of the dance floor, someone was creating a penguin ice sculpture. Then, you walk through that hallway where the floor is crooked, and you get to that area where the rail overlooks the bayou, and when we went, there were several Hare Krishnas in robes playing a tambourine and singing. Bizarro world.

I also liked that pub next to there- wasn't it called The Brewery Tap? I think it was on Franklin like Power Tools was.

Ah, the Houston club scene! Excess, 6400, The Ocean Club, Numbers, Yucatan Liquor Stand, Backstreets, Cardis, Red Square, City Streets, Tampico Bay (for those of you on the North side), Tangos, Shakespeare's Pub, Ernies on Banks, Raisins, Confettis, Sams Boat, Nightcage, Crystals, The Men's Club, The Gold Cup, Sherlocks, Cody's- countless others.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

Don't forget Cars. The one in Galveston was pretty sweet, right on the water.

City Streets, holy hell. I FEEL SO OLD!

6. LonghornFan

I quit in the late 90's, and there was no comparison. Too much hip hop, too many wanna be thugs, too much adrenaline...

The 80's were happy, take a tab and dance your ass of 'till dawn with some OJ...good times. The late 90's, lucky to leave without busted knuckles, handcuffs, a black eye or gunshots outside.

One of last times I went clubbing was around 1998 at J. Larkins or whatever it was called then in Clear Lake, and I was walking to my car and ended up in the middle of some wanna be thug gang fight in the parking lot out back. I walked through the wrong part and had my skull fractured along with a broken nose and busted ear drum from a crow bar to my face. Wasn't one of my favorite nights.

My man scars rule though. I say they're from Nam.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This thread should have 6 stars.

DD

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Detour... Power Tools... oh yeah. Had a friend that worked at Detour, front of the line, no cover. nice.

Power tools was great, if only for a short while. An old friend of mine was in a band called the Backyard Epics (Five o'clock Friday? Trashman? Bag?) and they used to play under that bridge (and every other dingy corner of the houston live music scene Axiom, vatican... or was it the abyss then?) like every other week, it seemed like. Was never much of a club dancer, just a music fan, so under the bridge suited us fine. Slowly but surely the thugs started taking over, the music changed, and the place went down the tubes. Got to where it wasn't even cool walking through there to get to the bridge.

I heard rumors back then that Jimmy Hendrix had played a gig under that bridge long ago, but I never put much stock in it.

Roxy, yeah, knew about it, but never went for whatever reason. DaDa, I think you have me by just a couple of years.

10. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Carrz was the first club I DJed at. I worked at the Heights, Kuykendahl, and Galveston locations. Dang...you had to go there! I do feel old!

11. Fatty FatBastard

I didn't see anyone answer this.

If you recall R&R, then you'll know where it was. It was at the corner of West Alabama and Sage, close to the end of West Alabama. R&R turned into Roxy right at the tail end of Lizard lounge being there.

Let's see who can recall what 6400 was called prior to being 6400?

12. droxford

droxford Member

what?!?! Before it was "City Streets" I went there with my g/f when it was "Avalon".

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fizz?

I left the Houston Bar scene in the mid 80s, and know the Austin Bar scene after that.

DD

14. Fatty FatBastard

Nope. It was Club Hippo. I believe they changed the name to 6400 in 1986. I recall it because KRBE was doing a "name the club" contest/promotion for it. When the winning name was announced, I thought it was stupid.

15. Fatty FatBastard

I recall Avalon. I was surprised that place died as quickly as it did. It was very fru-fru. IIRC, I believe you had to wear a suit to get in.

What was the name of that club that took over the movie theatre on Westheimer near Waugh? ie. the one that is now a big Hollywood video? I recall getting kicked out of there for underage drinking back in '90.

BTW, has anyone mentioned XCess yet?

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

93Q, good grief!

I remember calling in and winning a Fine Young Canibals cassette! I didn't care, I was happy I won something from the radio .

17. droxford

droxford Member

Yes, it was fru-fru...had to wear a suit.... and I kinda liked that.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Funny thing about #'s. If you used to frequent it a lot in the past..you can still go there on Fridays and see someone you know.

20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Early 90s...I remember going to Bayou Mamas on Sunday nights with friends from work. The tailend of the great Houston club scene. I had an 8am Monday morning class at UH that was usually really difficult to make it to.

Ahhhh...and those SHSU Bearkats might remember 17th Street Pub. Spent many a Saturday night there. Definitely not on the same calibre as the Houston scene...but pretty fun nonetheless.