1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for aelliott or Capologist

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hate to admit it, but maybe logic just eludes me. Logic was my worst subject on the GRE. So please explain...

...why we can't receive a signed-and-traded Rashard without a third team absorbing the other half of that BYC contract?

I understand BYC, basically, but I thought a team could sign and trade its own free agent (as in, same day, not sign him now, trade him later). There must be some sort of clause in the CBA that allows the sign and trade, maybe a time limit on how long before the player is traded, and then his BYC kicks in.

Wasn't Penny Hardaway signed-and-traded? Wasn't Brian Grant?

Rashard has served his 4 year penance, he should have full Bird rights...yes? no?

I'm not the only one wanting Rashard here, I guess.

Sorry for those who understand all this who are taking a deep breath (sigh! not again!)

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I read up on it this weekend, and yes a team can sign-and-trade their free agent, but what I understand is that the player immediately becomes a BYC player even if they tried to trade him the same day. And most sign and trades, like the whole Glen Rice/Shandon Anderson trade, involve three teams. I'm not sure about the sign-and-trades you mentioned.

From the <a href="http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#69">NBA Salary Cap FAQ #69</a>

<b>One complication with sign-and-trade deals is that the signed player can immediately become a BYC player (see question number 66 for more information on BYC), so it's the player's BYC value that must be used when determining whether the trade is allowed. </b>

#2 DCkid, Jun 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2002
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If a player's new contract makes them a BYC player, then it happens immediately. But remember, not all players become BYC players. If the players old team can sign them to the new contract without exceeding the cap, then even though the player got a raise greater than 15%, he's not a BYC player. I believe that was the case with Hardaway. It was definitely the case with Pippen.

In cases that do involve BYC players, it doesn't have to involve 3 teams. You can do a trade for a BYC player if the receiving team has cap room or a trade exception to make up the difference in the players BYC salary. In cases where the receiving team doesn't have sufficient cap room, teams typically get a third team involved.

A couple of years ago, there was a new way to get around the BYC issue. I can't remember the trade, but what they did was include alot of players in the deal. This bumped the total salary on both sides very high, so at the end the in the BYC amount was less than the 15% difference that was allowed for trades.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hmn. OK. Thanks. I'll just accept it and shrug.

So let's force Rice and #15 on the Bulls, Crawford to his hometown Seattle along with....

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Aellliot, while we have you on the phone, how close are the Rockets going to be to the luxury tax after they max Francis? Will the salary to be paid to a #15 pick really be the camel that breaks the Rocket's [luxury tax] back?

6. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I'd like to know the cap situation if the Rockets trade Francis to Chicago, take on equal expiring contract(s), and draft Williams.