1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question: Do Stevie and Cuttino complement one another's games yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kbm, Nov 30, 2002.

1. kbm

kbm Member

I thought this would be an apt question to ask even though I don't watch many of the rockets games. I remember that there was a time when we looked forward to the day when steve and cuttino would mesh into something like dumars and thomas. My impression, however, is that this has yet to happen. And if it hasn't, why? Both cuttino and stevie are top players at their positions. In the case of steve, maybe the best now. Is it rudy? Is it stevie? Is it, as many who want him traded contend, cuttino? Is it the system itself, or maybe just the style of each player?

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know both are gym rats, and they practice a lot, presumably together. I think the problem, though, is they are not students of the game. They have so much talent, they can "get by" on sheer speed and skill. To get to the level of Dumars and Thomas, they will have to have that, as well as make the right plays at the right time.

Different sport, but Bonds and McGuire set the home run records after they learned to laff of the pitches they couldn't hit. They forced the pitchers to throw to them. That is mature and smart ball. You may recall Juan Gonzalez several years ago as a Ranger was punishing the Yankees in the playoffs. Yanks just started throwing the ball so far off the plate, nobody could hit it. Poor Juan just couldn't accept the walks, and got out reaching for unhittable balls. Not smart.

Old ground here, but when Francis and Mobley stop being so concerned about scoring the basket right now, the entire team will improve. When everybody else is involved, F&M will face single coverage and be unstopable.

3. because24

because24 Member

They definitely compliment each others game.

4. timm

timm Member

I do not know about their game on the court...but they seem to be a match made in heaven off it.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

steve looks to drive more and cat looks to shoot more. i think they compliment each other very well.

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Some of the passes that they have to each other are sheer artistry as well, they always know where the other is. If you watch games and see them on the break you will frequently see one of them come out of nowhere with the ball waiting for him as the other passes, alot of those Francis highlight oops are from Mobes. What they must learn is that they need to pass more to others sometimes as well, but man they're so fast to it's really neat watching them clique. The other thing that they sometimes do wrong is misanticipate if you will, and this causes many turnovers to occur.