1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about the Wells trade regarding Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by superden, Sep 1, 2006.

1. superden

superden Contributing Member

I was wondering why the Astros, or any other team did not try to block the trade between the Red Sox and the Padres. From what I can remember, in order a trade to occur (at this moment), doesn't the player have to be claimed off of waivers? Since the Astros have a worse record, we should be top of the line in claiming Wells. It isn't that I want him, I am just saying, we should have tried to do something to make sure the Padres don't get him since we are all in the hunt for the wildcard. Someone explain? Thanks.

2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Maybe he actually helps us win the Wildcard as a part of the Padres???

I hate that guy, (but I want him to go to Heaven).

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he's 2-3 this year with an inflated ERA of almost 5. how could this he going to SD hurt the Astros? you want them to block every move other teams make? besides, the WC is the Astros for the taking. although we're behind 2.5 games, it's really in their hands to win the games they should win and win the series' they shouldn't.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

We didnt want him.

5. Major

Major Member

He cleared waivers weeks ago, I believe - meaning that no one claimed him at all. If the Astros put a claim then, they'd have to have taken him & his salary if the Red Sox didn't want him. For that reason, you can't just go claiming everyone.

So once he cleared waivers, the Red Sox could trade him to anyone.

At lesat, that's how I think it works.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You are correct. the Red Sox exposed him to waivers in early August when he was just coming off the DL. He was terrible and no one claimed him. He has pitched better as of late so it made him somewhat of a commodity for an NL team.

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Wells gets greeted by Biggio in the clubhouse. Meet the barrel of my bat fat a$$.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

so does that mean the nationals are free to trade soriano?

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

No he was claimed by someone (speculation is that Houston was the team that got the claim) once he was claimed they had only a certain amount of time to either trade him to the team with the claim, let him go to the claiming team for nothing, or pull him back off waivers and not be able to trade him at all.

For a player to be able to be traded they have to clear waivers without any claim coming on that player. If that happens the player can be traded to any team at anytime before the season ends. However, players traded after August 31st, are not eligible for the playoff rosters unless there is an extreme circumstance.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That white haired douchehead on baseball tonight, steve whatever, was shoothing his mouth off a few weeks ago about how, when HE was GM, HE would claim every halfway decent player that was on waivers no matter what, I guess becuase he's such a genius.

11. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

so i guess that means the rabbit comin out today, really came out the other day and was the wizard getting paid. no use in trading for a player now that its 9/1, since they wouldnt make the playoff roster.

unless the rabbit was albers, and jimerson getting called up :rolleyes:

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, you can claim as many people as you want... the other team still doesn't have to give them to you (they pull them back).

Also, Phillips is one of the dumber GM's in the history of the game... and yet he gets a national forum to bash other GM's and teams for their decisions... an idiot who's working for an idiot of a network (and ESPN's baseball coverage used to be the one good thing about it... now, its just PTI... that's all).

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

We could have claimed him...not worked out a trade with Boston...and he stays with Boston. Since no one claimed him, Boston could trade him to anyone...which they did.

Apparently Astros management didnt think it was such a big deal for anyone above us in the standings to add Wells or else we would have put a claim in just to block anyone else.

Wells sucked in the AL this year but will probably be an average to slightly above avg pitcher in the NL...imo.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually the way GM's work these days is different than 10 or so years ago. In the past waiver deals were not much of a problem. There was an unwritten standard that a GM wouldn't make a claim to block your guy as long as you let his guy slip through. In the past 10 years or so, guys like Steve Phillips started claiming everyone to block them from going to rivals.

15. Major

Major Member

Yeah - I remember that. But it's one thing to claim players like Miguel Tejada who you know is not just going to be released. In that scenario, you can block him from going somewhere or actually create a viable trade. It's also easy to claim someone like a Willy T, where he has a cheap salary so if you did end up with him for some reason, great.

It's a whole different thing to claim a mediocre player with a big salary - the other team may actually just let you have him, and then you're stuck with him. Guys like Wells are the ones that make it through waivers. It wasn't just the Astros that didn't put a claim on him - no one did.

16. Major

Major Member

Or, Boston could have said "take him" and we'd be stuck with him and his salary.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

really worked for Phillips, who managed to assemble the most expensive last place team in baseball prior to getting fired...

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Once a player is submitted to waivers and claimed they can only be traded or given to the team with the claim. If the teams cannot work out a deal and the waiver player is "pulled back" then he cannot be moved to any team, nor can he be placed on waivers again.

So if Wells had been claimed by some team, he could have only been dealt to that team. If no deal was reached within the waiver window then he could not be moved anywhere for the rest of the season. Not even to the team that had the claim on him originally. So the hypothetical scenario involving Soriano, couldn't have been:

The Nationals place him on waivers. The Astros claim him. No deal is worked out in the waiver window. 2 weeks later the Nationals decide to trade him to the Yankees, because they didn't work out a deal with the Astros. Once the waiver claim window expires Soriano is stuck with Washington for the rest of the season.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, but I think he got them to the Series one year, which is the only reason he is employed at ESPN. I guess even a White haired Douche finds a nut now and then ;)

20. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

haha!!