1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about sushi

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Apr 2, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This episode of Iron Chef has some pretty good info about what original Sushi is.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dd4f7hR3F7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It pits a chef who specializes in Edo Style sushi which was the original sushi versus a more modern international take on sushi.

2. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

holy shiz that was crazy!

3. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Well let me answer your question since I have a Japanese restaurant here. In Japan they eat pretty much just Nigiri, which is the fish on rice ball, sashimi which is sliced raw fish (which is actually the better part of the fish), the hand rolls which are the ice cream cone things, and last the rolls, but their rolls are a lot different then ours. They don't have crazy things like Shaggy Dog, Philly Roll, Houston Roll, their stuff is a lot more mundane. They have things like tuna roll which is literally tuna, nori, and rice.

So if you want to eat authentic thats the way to go not the big rolls with everything on it. Also there are different grades of fish, there are only certain types of fish that are graded to be sushi/sashimi grade. So watch out if you go to some buffets with the sashimi/sushi. It is better just to go to whole foods and buy a block of sushi grade tuna or salmon and just sit at home and slice it yourself.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Benihana's Downtown will be having a SUSHI and SAKE 101 class soon for only $35, in case anyone is interested. :cool:

http://click.benihana-news.com/?qs=cdf5c3a26f9f66f35fbc913dbf1cd2b136dd432660bf81386a3fa27e0181a3fa

^^^ Looks DELICIOUS! :eek:

5. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I don't mind the Americanized rolls for the most part -- some of them are really tasty. But there are a few things that sometimes get put in those rolls that just drives me insane -- especially cream cheese. All that does is deaden the flavor. Oh, and tempura rolls. Give me a break. In my mind both cream cheese and deep-frying in sushi is a mortal sin.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I learned about sushi in that movie "Valley Girl" at the party in the valley which I didn't want to go to because it's in the valley.

"It's like....sushi...don't you know?"

I always wondered why they use fake crab in the rolls instead of real crab. I mean...if they are going to use good fish...might as well use real crab? I guess that would be too difficult as far as prep. Anybody ever seen a roll with real crab meat in it versus imitation?

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hbV6knbeUFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On Netflix for those who haven't seen it.

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Would a japanese grocery store sell the same stuff as american grocery store sushi? WHat i mean is all cooked?

9. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

The reason why fake crab is used because it is a cheaper substitute. Also I think its also that you can get it year around and there won't be any shortage of it. Also we do serve an Alaskan roll which is real snow crab, but it doesn't get ordered a lot. It has a heavier fishy smell it turns a lot of people away.

10. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

I wish I could answer your question, but I can't even decipher it.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yes, if you go to one of the better Sushi restaurants you can find rolls that have real crab. Places like Kata Robata, Soma.

Also, if anyone is going to Uchi* and ordering rolls, you're doing it wrong. Where Uchi shines are in their specialty dishes. Pretty much all of their "cold plates" are outstanding.

12. platypus

platypus Member

What do you guys feel about miyakos on westheimer. I have to admit I'm not a big sushi guy but I have been there a few times during their specials and the "sushi" is pretty good. Is there any other restaurant that offers the same value for the price (8 dollar rolls)

I just hate eating at "uppity" places, I prefer a casual atmosphere and onr that wont rob me blindly for a bunch of dead fish. Rep for any good suggestions!

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Joey,

Love your user name. I'm a huge fan.

Is your restaurant in Htown?

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Everything I need to know about sushi, I learned on Dec. 7, 1941.

1 person likes this.
  16. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I hope this is a joke -- even if it is, it's in bad humor. Please don't say stuff like this.

The angriest I've ever been at the mass of idiots on the internet was after the 2011 earthquake in Japan -- someone had captured dozens of different people who had updated their Facebook status to read something to the effect of "well, that's what they get for Pearl Harbor." I mean, really? You all realize that we then nuked two of their cities, right? I'd think that should count as much more than just proportional response. Not to mention it was 70 years ago and pretty much everyone involved is dead. Let it go.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He could have meant he was there, captured a few Japanese Sailors or Pilots and interrogated them on Sushi. Or perhaps after the attacks he did all the research he needed on Japan and their culture.

Although if he isn't actually at least 85 years old, it is a moronic statement.

18. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

haha thanks, yea its in Htown

19. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

That's nice. You still didn't answer the OP's question. Next!

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Don't know if this was mentioned. But I love this Documentery. On Netflix if anyone is interested.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hbV6knbeUFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>