1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Houston Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by carmichael dave, Apr 10, 2009.

1. carmichael dave

I know there's an old thread on this.....

Do me a favor and Rank the Houston Sports stations, and give a little blurb on each one's style. I'm just curious from a fan's standpoint.

Also, hung out with our boy Ronnie at last night's game. I think the Maloof's are a little upset, because its actually the ROCKETS that own the Kings.

Just a friendly tip about our boy.....I was sitting at the end of the Rockets bench, right next to Ron, and I look over during the third quarter.......

Now some players drink water to refresh during a game. Some drink juice. Others might drink gatorade.

Our friend, the Tru Warier, was DRINKING A CUP OF TEA. With the teabag still in! (Pause. Ron educated me on Houston lingo the other night).

Who does this? Our friend Ron "The Teabag" Artest, that's who.

He also forgot to give me his shoes, so we're beefin (pause)

2. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

LOL thats some great stuff, The Teabag is all I will be able to know him by now.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

610 is the big one, has been around the longest. They have local shows from 6am to 9pm except for Rome. They are a CBS station and carry sporting news radio. Rockets and Texans games.

790 came on as the second station and pulled away a main guy from 610 to be their premier local show. They have a local show on during Rome. Carries Fox sports radio.

1560 came when there was some contract disputes at 610. The two morning guys left and started their one station. They have a few big names and some cheap labor. This is the station that does No Layups radio and the one that Clutch goes on to do interviews often.

97.5 FM is the ESPN station. Has calvin murphy show and mike & mike. They came before 1560.

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

after years of listening to john & lance in the morning, i kinda got burned out on them, so i'll listen to 610's morning crew until 11am

i find myself listening to 1560 mostly from 11am until i get out of work. although i do switch back and forth during commercials.

i tend to avoid the jim rome show because i prefer to hear about houston sports.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This is very useful, thanks. I only knew of 610 and 1560. Usually when I go out to lunch, Rome is on 610 and I can't stand the guy, and I get bad reception from 1560 for some reason. Now I know to switch to 790!

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

610 is corporate and has the rockets and texans. Awesome pre/post game stuff. Adam Wexler, Matt Jackson, Marc Vandermeer all pure awesome.

1560 is probably the coolest station, does the most off the wall stuff but after the morning show kinda blows for talent and has less coverage.

#6 Bandwagoner, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think during that time the show on 790 is "Monsters of the Mid-day" (or something like that), with John Lopez and some other guy. Maybe its ok for baseball or something, I don't know. Their Rockets discussion is kind of terrible.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the "other guy" is not from houston and new to the market.

He is a ditto head and spits out all of the national media's book of cliches on Houston sports.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haha about Ron.. TEA?!?! LOL

Rank..

1. 610
    2. 1560
    3. 790
    4. 97.5 FM

Hopefully you can come here Dave!

10. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper Member

I used to listen to 610, but its terrible other than Adam Wexler. The morning show is painful to listen to, and Matt Jackson is just brutal.

1560 is definitely the best.

11. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with MattJ, did you ever hear him before he was paired with an overweight partially r****ded co-host?

12. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

don't do it man i rather listen to the windshield wipers at full speed on a sunny day than listen to the MONSTERS ewwww......my rankings goes like this:
    1. 1560- by far the best station in houston funny, informative, and great guests. the only con is they talk about college football WAY TOO MUCH maybe not the mourning guys or Hoffy and Nuno but the evening guys Sean and John can't get enough of it.
    2. 610- mourning show is alright if you want Texans talk but nothing else Rome sucks and the evening guys sometimes are good
    3. 790- two words Charlie Palillo...if it wasnt for him this station would be turned into a gospel station

great story carmichael dave i didnt know ron sipped tea thats just Ron being Ron

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you like Football (college, NFL) 1560 is your station.
    If you like Baseball then 790 is your fav ( they are 740's sister station)
    If you Like the Rockets 610 has the BEST Rockets coverage. I hate that they lost Danny Vera but I love Adam Clanton. I want Danny back on Rockets post game!!!

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

610 has the Rockets and Texans games live. 740 (otherwise known as the Limbaugh station) has Astros games. 790 might have the Dynamo???

I listen to a ton of sportsradio because I used to work for 8 hours a day under a hood doing basic science research in the med center. I had nothing else to do. I still listen somewhat though. It's hard to rank the sports radio stations because they're all so bad with such regularity. I'm gonna rank the local radio hosts and their shows instead. And this is based primarily on Rockets coverage rather than anything else.

1. Adam Clanton (Clutchfan rocketabc) and Wexler on 610 at 10-11am and after 6pm respectively. They know enough their stuff, have enough of a brain to be witty about things, plus Clanton does pretty decent impressions.

2. Lance and John on 1560. Lance is great with his SEC guy impression, and is the son of an NFL offensive line coordinator so he knows his scouting. However, a problem that the entirety of 1560 has is just an absolute ignorance with regards to the Rockets. I doubt Granato even knows who's on the team.

3. Matt (Clutchfan MattJ) and Rich Lord on 610 in the afternoon. Matt's a good guy and easy to listen to on air, but, how do I put this politely...Rich Lord is the Billy Packer of Houston sports radio. Actually, I wish Billy Packer was doing the radio show instead of him.

4. Charlie Palillo on 790 in the afternoon. No one knows sports trivia and history better, but he's got a ways to go in terms of sounding interesting and finding a middle ground between maintaining his integrity and talking-down to his guests in an arrogant manner during his interviews.

5. Mark and Andre on 610 in the morning. They get all the Morey interviews and that's the only reason they're on here. Both guys have basically zero personality, but compared to Rich Lord that is a good thing.

6. David Nuno (Clutchfan Puff) and Raheel on 1560 with the Rockets podcasts (visible on this website). It's great that they care so much about the Rockets, but interviews would be nice. Morey does the occasional interview on 1560, so hopefully they get more exposure in the future. Hiring a former Rocket like VERNON MAXWELL could really help that station out. Help both sides out actually. I'm just sayin'.

7 and 8. Carl Dukes and Calvin Murphy's shows on 97.5. Those two shows are really warming up to me and could be moving up soon.

#99, just behind the Indian radio programming that used to be on 1560 before it switched-- the John Pendergast and Mike Harris afternoon show on 1560. Honestly don't even listen to this program if you don't want to hear about college football and hot newscasters. What a disappointment coming from the Jim Rome's famed Cablinasian. I guess it really does take more talent to think on the spot than it does to spend one whole year coming up with good material for a 3-minute take.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

matt j needs to stop ranting about tom penders and uhhh basketball. And stop talking over each other (him and rich).

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The talking over eachother is why I can't stand listening to the John and Lance on 1560. I don't understand why they think that style is appealing to the listener.

17. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

I really like 610 and 790.

Matt Jackson is slightly irritating since he loves to argue just for the sake of arguing.

18. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

Bingo.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sounds like I'm not missing a lot after leaving Houston several years ago. Of course I landed in Dallas where all they have is Dallas Cowboys talk and 40 and 50 year olds acting like 15-22 year olds. Talk about a sucky sportstalk market.

20. Puff

Puff Member

I like 1560.