1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question About Child Prodigies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, May 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While many foreign education programs focus more on math and science its not like they don't teach the humanities and geography. Many foreign students know geography, including US geography, better than most American students.

Also when I was in Singapore in grad school the Singaporeans were looking to copy some of the more well rounded US education system. They were realizing while their students were good at math and science they weren't very creative or mentally agile.

2. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

So the Gold Stars I earned didn’t mean anything?

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Sure it does... about as much as

[​IMG]

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ex-Prodigy is a book by a now-old child prodigy. He talks about how he was the **** when he was a kid, and how it didn't matter so much as an adult as everyone else kinda caught up and things besides intelligence become more important.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of like William H. Macey in Magnolia?

6. Fatty FatBastard

Pretty much sounds like me. Before switching into GATE, I was doing things like reading by three, knowing addition and subtraction by four, mult. and div. by 5 and so on. I recall taking tests in 5 minutes in class and then harassing the students out of boredom, memorizing entire plays so that I was the understudy for every role, etc.

I had forgotten how I was regarded back then until I met up with one of my old classmates from back then via facebook. She told me stories about even when I was in the GATE program, I was considered by far the best student in everyone's mind. A revelation I didn't know at the time.

However, by 7th grade when I was put into regular schooling (we moved) I wanted to be popular far more than be a good student. Sometimes I honestly feel that the schooling I received made me as lackadasical as I can be sometimes.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Necro-Bump

We had the pleasure of meeting and visiting Akiane this weekend and spending quite a bit of time with her. Robbie380 wrote that her web site 'reeks of egomania'. Not sure what it looked like in 2009, but Akiane is one of the most humble, well mannered, down to earth, genuine people we have ever met.

Her talent is incredible and, unfortunately, the original of hers I really liked was $700,000+.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

She appears to have some great natural talent, but her art will really take off as she gets older...not just because she will develop new techniques, but because she'll actually begin to live life and gain experiences. Art should tell you something about what the artist feels, their journey through life, etc. A pretty picture is great, but a pretty picture with a story and emotion is a masterpiece. It appears that she is beginning to get some emotion in the works as you move through her timeline, but her work is still quite "hollow" or "antiseptic".

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting take

What do you mean by this?
    What could these kids be missing?

Rocket River

10. bobrek

Yet some of her originals sell for $1,000,000+ regardless of the age at which they were painted.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Perhaps basic social skills, being able to draw upon memories of a time when things were simpler, not having to deal with pressures and situations that other children would never know, the ability to make friends based on commonalities.....really, the list goes on and on.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

These kids are different from normal kids. Just like you have super sports athletes like Lebron James, you have these super intellectual or art geniuses, you cannot treat them like normal kids. These kids are taking calculus and high school senior level physics when they are 10 or 11. They are not interested in toy dolls or GI Joes. Although many of these geniuses does not ends up accomplishing that much when they are adults just like five star athletes do not always ends up in NBA or NFL hall of fame.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was thinking about that
    I recalled some kids saying how they liked doing math for fun
    Hey . . . wasn't my thing but . . whatever floats your boat

So for them . . . childhood memories might be when they discovered the beauty of Pathagorean's Theory

Rocket River

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is nice to have things in common with other people. You can relate better.

I was in the top 1% on all standardized tests growing up. I still enjoyed toys, as most do. Obviously these kids were even farther of the charts, but I think they would still like toys. They still have imagination.

There is a part of me that wishes I would have been skipped grades. I didn't find school work ever challenging. I looked down on some of my teachers because I was smarter than them. I deeply loved learning when I was young, but at school I was learning nothing.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Art and artifacts operate by different rules. There's probably a much better market for a good painting by a child genius than there is for a better painting by an adult. The meta-properties of the painting that come from what you think you know about it is what gives the artifact a monetary value. The art itself is free, especially with the internet.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Holy ****. At age 4 she's already drawing better than me.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, there was a local kid who started writing computer programs at the age of four and went to college I believe at 11 or 12. Maybe programming is his hobby.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

first bff, first job, first crush, first love, first heartache, first kiss, first boob touch, first finger f***, first actual f***, first fight, first car, high school friends and sports, so many things growing up that are just part of growing up you know. life is about experiences, nothing more and nothing less. it's the only thing i think you keep and take with you throughout life. everything else is just fluff.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

No doubt. She has a following, is semi-famous, and there is probably lots of speculation that she'll get more and more famous.

20. bobrek

Bumping this thread. A fascinating look at her doing one painting on one canvas over 7 months.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HpNJROyi7bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>