1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Queen] Brian May Would Like Lady Gaga To Join Queen On The Road

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Oct 6, 2011.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Brian May Would Like Lady Gaga To Join Queen On The Road
    Posted on 06 Oct 2011 at 8:55am

Brian May has said he and Roger Taylor are constantly discussing the possibility of touring once again under the Queen banner, and are on the look-out for a new singer after Paul Rodgers filled the role between 2004-2009, with popstar Lady Gaga now one of May’s preferred options.

May and Taylor toured with the former Bad Company and Free frontman primarily in 2008, after releasing the album ‘Cosmos Rocks‘ that year. However, not long after those touring duties were completed, Rodgers revealed their collaboration had come to an end, and now May has singled out Lady Gaga as someone whom we would be happy to perform live with in the future.

“We talk about going out on the road all the time but there’s a bit of a singer problem to put it mildly,” May told the Daily Express. “We get a lot of offers to work with other people. I worked with Lady Gaga and she’s very creative and is someone we’ve talked about singing, fronting the band with. She’s not just a singer, she writes her own material.”

“We have talked about doing duets with other people and in a strange way I almost pressed the yes button. We were debating the idea of a TV show where we have all these guest stars. We didn’t press it today but we are still looking at it. Lady Gaga has said she would like to do something with us.”

Brian May and Roger Taylor were in attendance at this week’s BMI Awards to collect the Icon prize on behalf of Queen. Their fellow surviving band mate, bassist John Deacon, retired from public life following the death of Freddie Mercury in 1991.

2. No Worries

Brian May and Lady Gaga collaborated on this ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OdOCfq6pdBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A bit unimpressed with that ... but a full blown Queen concert with Lady Gaga fronting the bnd would be intriguing.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Are they going to refer to this new collaboration as "Radio Gaga"?

2 people like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Adam Lambert would be a better choice.

DD

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Michael would be pretty good.

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good GOD, that guy is good. Even looks a little like Freddy. I'd like to hear him do some Jeff Buckley.

That's the guy they should bring in. Do what Journey did. Find someone on YouTube.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That would be awful, hate Lady Gaga. :(

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

not a fan, but after hearing her howard stern interview a couple months ago i have respect. she seemed personable, very intelligent, hard working and talented. not only does she actually write her music, but she seems in control of every aspect of her career - clearly not your average pop star.

i think she could work w/ queen - she wont sound like freddy, but she has his range. it would be more interesting than if they went after some youtube soundalike.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my big bro just told me about the Queen fan Mark Martel the other day...

that is pretty good, he's from some christian rock band apparantly

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

I don't care much for Gaga's music, but if you know anything about her, you have to respect her as an artist. She's a very good musician who has complete control over her sound, and she's trying to reinvent a genre that has been reduced to Disney factory stars hopping around to computer-generated background music while some sellout rapper raps a generic bridge.

Don't like her sound or her antics, but all of the fame she has, she deserves.

People tend to get so nostalgic with their musical tastes that they don't realize when the next generation of good music comes out. Lady Gaga is doing her darndest to get some kind of musical movement started, and I applaud her for it.

As for her singing with Queen, I'm not sure if she has the chops for it, but it would certainly be interesting. That dude in the video is pretty amazing, but having an an impersonator singing with the band seems kind of...cheap.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Would actually be awesome IMO.

13. No Worries

Queen's first replacement was Paul Rodgers who was not a sound alike. Back in 2009, Queen talked about bringing in Adam Lambert, who is not a sound alike. Now they are talking with Lady Gaga. It appears that Queen is not looking for a sound alike singer.

#13 No Worries, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

She did name herself after the song "radio gaga" right?

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

They're looking for somebody with showmanship. Freddy always had that. Lady Gaga would fit that role.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Why did Brian May keep Queen alive after they lost Freddy? Was it the money? Or, was it just to keep Queen relevant in remembrance of Freddie?

I think they should have retired "Queen" the day Freddie died.

17. No Worries

Brian May and Roger Taylor waited 14 years after Freddie's death to tour Queen again. They toured under the moniker "Queen + Paul Rodgers" so as to say that they were not replacing Freddie. They toured to sold out shows. The Queen fans spoke with their feet.

Other bands don't bother to change their name when they roll out a new lead singer: Van Halen, Journey, Styx, Warrant, etc.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That doesn't mean they shouldn't rename themselves. It isn't really "Queen w/Paul Rodgers". It's more like "Half of Queen w/Paul Rodgers singing".

I won't say bands should always quit or change the name if any member ever leaves/dies/etc. It's more on a case-by-case basis. I think GnR is one of, if not the, worst offenders, along with The Who.

I'm actually intrigued by the GaGa thing though. Would like to see it, although I'm sure it would be overpriced and sold out.

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Just a boring imitator with no charisma. Great voice but Freddy was an entertainer so Lady Gaga will fill the part nicely.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

maybe i'm misunderstanding the setup, but why would lady gaga, the biggest thing going in the music right now, tour as the replacement lead singer for queen (no disrespect to queen, they were great)? i could see a one time show as a cool thing to do, especially if she's a big fan, but an actual series of dates? doing the job of youtube impersonators?