1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quantity vs Quality and Meaningless Stats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

That is figured into the equation in advanced analytics.

All of the advanced numbers point to one thing, that James Harden in one the 5-10 best offensive players in basketball history. He is able to do the things he does at a real high frequency without seeing his overall economy suffer like 99.9% of other players in history.

He is simply an offensive monster.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you want to look at efficiency you don't look at simple FG%, you look at TS% and PPS.

PPS gives you an idea if a guy should be taking those many shots or not while TS% takes into account free throws which isn't calculated in normal FG%. Both TS and PPS of Harden is really good, it may not be pretty but he gets the job done extremely well.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with any of that... and I'm not saying that he isnt a highly efficient scorer... just pointing out that to call it '31 pts on 21 shots' really isnt encompassing other aspects... not as bad as people who just look at ppg as the yard stick - but still a stat that can manipulated - esp when u consider Harden has led the league in fta 5 of the last 6 years....
    Does offensive rating factor in turnovers and possessions ending in free throws? Is that an accurate assessment with those factors added in?
    If not, which specific analytic encompasses these things - and could you direct me where to find it? I'm not very versed in advanced analytics and just wondering what yardstick is most accurate...
    Overall, just figuring points vs possessions used.... with possessions including: shots, possessions ending in free throws and ending in a turnover....
    I assume this would encompass the factors that should provide the most accurate picture...
    Thanks!

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think his efficiency is awful. I said the points stat is kind of meaningless, when quality is the stat that has meaning. He's not perfect though, and I am simply bringing up areas we can improve, such as turnovers and overall efficiency. I do agree with others that we need more depth to have any realistic chance of getting to the Conference Finals again.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ORtg for teams is the de facto standard to measure team efficiency, and, imo, there will never be a better analytic for teams. It includes everything you are asking. It's a quite simple formula. About as simple as saying the MLB team who scores the most runs per 9 innings has the best offense. You can't really argue with that. I suppose NBA could tweak it to disregard garbage time, or try to assess how much the team defense gifted the offense with turnover points. But alas, for simple advanced stats, it's quite the undisputed Best.

That said, ORtg for an individual (similar but much more complex formula) is full of issues regarding comparing players across teams. It also includes everything you say. Because of its issues, there are several competing advanced stats for individuals, and the only thing agreed upon among stat enthusiasts is that there is no agreed upon best stat. But Harden really is among the tops in history across all of them.

#25 heypartner, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Nook, kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol blame the guy who's 1st in scoring, 2nd in minutes, 3rd in BPM

Heaviest burden to carry and hardest working

People act like morey, mda, and the rest of the rockets can find a better leader

7. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

A bit of incomplete statistical analysis in the first post. 44% FG / 37% 3PT is actually very good for a guy taking 11 3PA.

I think it is good to separate 2PT% when looking at percentages of guys that take a lot of three's, and also when looking at things like FG% and 3PT%, you must compare similar types of players. So you should be looking at Harden vs guys taking at least 15-16+ FGA/G and scoring at least 19-20+ ppg, etc. There will be a lot of guys at the top of the FG% list who are bigs that are just finishers and don't shoot outside.

FG% - 44.3
    2PT% - 52.8
    3PT% - 37.2
    FT% - 82.8
    eFG% - 54.5
    TS% - 61.3

There's nothing wrong with any of those numbers. Scoring 30.6 ppg on 20.7 FGA and 9.8 FTA is very good. Harden is accomplishing BOTH quantity and quality.

Out of the top 20 players in FGA/G:
    Harden is 5th in eFG% (behind Curry, Giannis, Lebron and Durant)

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

this! thank you!

and harden's doing all this playing mvp calibre ball most minutes per game in the league carrying a team whose depth is void any sign of quantity nor quality

#28 vlaurelio, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

Some stats insights for you. His 101st in 3pt% does not factor in the fouls he draws on threes about once per game, which is essentially an 80% shot (his free throw percentage). It also does not factor in the extra points he makes off and-1 threes, which he has led the league in for quite some time.

FG percentage is useless for three point shooters, especially ones as high volume as harden, because the raw percentage from threes brings down the overall field goal percentage. He is shooting 53% on twos and 37% on threes. That is all that matters, not the combined average. As an example, if a guy only shot threes but made 40% of them, his FG% would be 40% (terrible according to your method of evaluation), but would be one of the most efficient scorers in the entire league.

% made for threes as a team is a problem that needs to be worked on, but it doesn't change the fact that even those "low percentage" threes are still better than most mid range shots. Team FG% is irrelevant for the same reason as mentioned above with Harden.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Another SO CALLED rocket fans taking a **** on the rockets

YAWN . . . . you are so unoriginal

Rocket River

Nook and vlaurelio like this.
  11. vlaurelio

to summarize, haters are crying because:

1. rockets' depth void of quantity and depth thus harden carrying the heaviest load in the NBA this season - Harden's fault
    2. harden being a prolific scorer and playmaker opposing teams are left with the only option of being physical/fouling him - Harden's fault

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THIS. That is the bench list. A PG, a 2/3, and a 4/5.

vlaurelio and Nook like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

On the contrary. If you look at look at all the I hate Anderson, I hate Brewer, I hate Carmelo type posts you will never see me hating on them. I only got angry with Anderson when he just quit shooting right before playoffs. I have always supported our guys, and don't know if you bashed them or not, but that's not me. I was talking about stupid meaningless stats, and yes, I think we still need more depth after losing so many players the last couple seasons. You may call me a so called fan, but you know nothing. I don't start or spread I hate so and so posts.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That has nothing to do with my post. The I hate posts are somewhere else in this forum.

15. vlaurelio

it does. most minutes most points best bpm inspite of this cluster f*ck depth.

stop hating

LOL at ranking everyone's 3FG% without considering minutes and volume. now that's a meaningless stat void of any quality.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Any stat that isn't to your liking is meaningless obviously. If you think the most points is a meaningful stat then we disagree. That doesn't make me a hater. You are the hater if you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a hater.