1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB Race 2015: Same as it ever was?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sanchez may be one of the few "starting" QBs worse than Fitz.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We are saying the same thing. Over the last 10 years, at any given time there have only been 4-6 super-elite QB's, and that continues on today. Manning, Brady, Rodgers... and then Big Ben and Brees a tad lower. That's my current 5. All of them have been around awhile. Russell Wilson may be knocking at the door, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a Kapernick like regression next year.

The rest of the QB's (all the #1 picks, the prized free agents, and the hot commodities) have had the potential to have good years (like Schaub did), but also have the ability to either have down years or have years where their teams struggle.

I would say if the Texans goal is to find another Schaub, they will probably succeed at that (hell, they may already have a version of him on the roster)... but if their goal is to strive for better than that, there's going to have to be some luck/good fortune involved.

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

Eli is not elite 95% of the time. But during those playoffs, he was super elite.

Schaub was very good for a little while. I think we could have won a superbowl with him if we had an elite defense.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That year he got hurt, and we barely lost to Ravens in 2nd round with TJ Yates as our QB.

Sigh

5. Breaker

Breaker Member

Sanchez and foles both led their team to a 9-4 record, so you're already very wrong

Unless for if the scenario was just for OUR current personnel, than you need to state that.

Anyways, both QBs been on past teams/led them to records better than any team fitzpatrick ever been on.

You really like you don't know your football though, do I'll let that slide

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You know all this after not even a full season as a starter playing for a rookie coach with no offensive weapons?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I love this post sooo much, start off trying to attribute team success to an individual player (despite garbage stats) and then accuse someone else of not knowing football.....that's just glorious.

Thank you for giving so selflessly for our entertainment.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

No disputing his weak arm.

Horrible touch on full display last week. Did you see him overthrowing Gordon on an easy TD?

Bad decision making has been on display all season. Just look at his game against the Texans.

I don't think there's much to like with Hoyer. I'd probably rather roll with Mallett and Fitzpatrick if it came down to them vs hoyer.

9. Breaker

Breaker Member

Would definitely take Eli if he became available this off season. He might make us pull our hair out during the regular season, but all I care about is being good enough to get into the playoffs. Eli is just a different player in the playoffs

Don't know if the Giants organization would turn back in him though

10. TheMountainTop

Drew Brees might be available next year if the Saints decide to trade or cut him due to his salary the next two years and might want to draft a qb to rebuild around since they might feel the glory days with him at the helm might be over.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really interested in a retread like Eli, he's going to be 34 next year and that's almost certainly within 3 years of his retirement....no one is going to confuse him for his brother who is magically still going strong at 38. I mean, you could probably do worse than that, but for the money it would take I'm not interested at all.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

no way the Saints cut or trade Brees, they might draft a backup QB to groom, but no way the Saints get rid of him.

13. TheMountainTop

There was an article on ESPN just a couple of days ago. If things dont start looking up next year they might unless they can pull it back together next year. A fan can hope!

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know USC QBs don't have a good track record but what about Cody Kessler?

15. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

You don't like Mallett's upside?
    With the same three QB's, I think Texans will be better than okay.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So that's your trump card? The fact that the Eagles are 9-4, so Sanchez is better than Fitz? Lol.

Fitz is 7-6...he's better than Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, and Cam Newton.

17. TheMountainTop

If only we could have Drew Brees or Matt Ryan

18. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Resign Mallet and be done with it. None of the QBs coming in are particularly special. Need to draft another WR and S help the first 2 rounds.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We have only seen 1 game
    Case looked good for 1 game.
    TJ Yates looked decent for 1 game

Rocket River

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

And imagine if Mario stayed healthy that year. Man!