1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB Next Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 14, 2014.

?

Starting QB next season game 1?

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. Ryan Mallett

91 vote(s)
    69.5%
  3. Tom Savage

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Other (specify)

35 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't think so. You could have him for very little. A 3rd or 4th rounder being picked by the texans is essentially worthless anyway. Might as well take a shot with it and have him compete with Mallet. If BOB is a QB guy, maybe he can turn one of em into a QB.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure we could have him for next to nothing, but there's a reason for that. We could probably get Terrelle Pryor, Josh McCown, or Geno Smith for very little as well....doesn't mean anyone wants to do that.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

What is it about QBs like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck that they rarely get injuries like the Texan's QBs do. I mean they do get injured but it is so rare. Teams like the Texans and Cardinals have to deal with multiple season ending injuries so often. What are they doing differently to stay healthy?

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't know. Honestly, I just want someone average. It seems like everybody is only interested in prospects with potential to be top tier QB's, but I just want someone competent out there. Somebody who can move the ball, play game-manager when need be, or turn Air-raid mode when need be. With our defense and run game we don't need a Rodgers, Brady, or Luck to be successful. Honestly, prime Schaub would be the perfect candidate. It's too bad he started to regress right when our team got serious talent.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I like Fitzpatrick, seems like a cool guy and always gave his all on the field. It just sucks that I never got the sense that he was ever more then the weakest link when we were on offense, and your that just can't happen if you want to be successful. I don't know why our pass game is so horrible, I mean I get that Fitzpatrick is probably a bottom five starting QB in the league but our offense doesn't even look like an NFL offense most of the time. We never hit receivers open in stride or in space, we never use our tight ends. Almost all of our completions seem to be flukey passes where either DeAndre or Andre make a play on the ball when they are tightly covered. Our offense is just so choppy and not fluid. It seems to always be run, run, oh **** we might have to pass here, too bad our QB is a huge limitation so lets just lob it up to DeAndre and hopefully he will make a pass.

6. CrashTheBoards

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Is Connor Cook any good?

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Exactly. Even Kaepernick and Russell Wilson aren't doing so great this season. This is why I have doubts about Mariota, and don't see him amounting to anything special in the pros. The running QB fad is fading. And I also expect that to eventually trickle down to college, particularly the big boy FBS programs. NFL defenses have laid down the blueprint to stymie such QBs, shut down the zone read, etc.

I think Winston is the most NFL ready QB in terms of play-style (although he is INT-prone), but his immaturity and off-the-field issues are really holding him back. Texans aren't taking him.

I'm fine sticking with Mallett next season. Focus on OL and secondary in the draft.

9. J Hard

J Hard Member

There you go, still spewing garbing lol I'm officially blocking you, can't stand moronic trolls.

10. J Hard

J Hard Member

Of course it's forgotten with mettenberger because he is of a different skin tone, he gets a pass. idiots will use idotic discretion.

This country is ass backwards, the lay of the land ;)

11. newAge_Rockets

Case Keenum :grin:

Nah I'm kidding, Ryan Mallet. His knowledge of the system, cannon of an arm, and leadership style is what best fits our team.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Mallett starts. Fitzpatrick is the backup. 100% certain a rookie will not start.

I'm not sure what people were expecting but Fitzpatrick has been slightly better than I expected. He appears to be a solid top 25 QB and that's pretty rare. There just isn't much talent at that position. I know everyone wants a franchise guy back there but that just isn't reasonable.

With Mallett starting, Fitzpatrick behind him, I'd trade for an RG3 or Barkley type (still young, high ceiling) (4th round pick, 3rd if he starts 8 games and has a top 20QB rating) and I'd draft a QB if there's a good one available.

That's 4 roster spots (not even including Savage) dedicated to QB, a bit crazy, but a must when we're talking about such an important position. Even if you decide to dump RG3/Barkley/whoever and/or Fitzpatrrick during the preseason and you forfeit the pick and/or take a salary hit, it's something worth doing. It's the most important position in sports, invest heavy there and let them compete.

13. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Agreed with everything up until the RGIII/Barkley trade. RGIII just doesn't seem like a good fit over here. He doesn't really fit the O'brien system/mold of QB, and we have a shaky/inconsistent O-line. Combine that with his erratic form of play, and I just can't see things going well for him. I've also seen Matt Barkley play, and he looked awful. Straight up awful. Mind you, this was in a regular game too. Tossed up 4 Ints. No thank you.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, Barkley/RG3/whoever else, I want a young (not old), high ceiling prospect that O'Brien sees something in -- it could be anyone that fits those general requirements. It could be anyone out there that has the tools, is unproven, and is sitting behind a starter. I just named RG3/Barkley to give a general description of the type of guy. Osweiler is an example but I don't think the Broncos would deal him. I actually don't want McGloin, I think he has talent but he doesn't have the tools/ceiling. I want the size and arm.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick was pretty average this season, which is good for him. People weren't happy.

Schaub was above average for most of his time here. People weren't really happy with that either.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't know about that. I mean he definitely did play over-achieve and play better then his skill level would indicate. But just watching the offense and the game-plans it seemed to me like most of the time they were trying to manage the game for a bottom-5 QB. It seemed like O'B was very aware of his limitations, and would ask for a pass here, a scramble here, etc. Also, it was pretty obvious that the Texans didn't value his health all that much. It was pretty much try as hard as you can, run as much as you can, and fight for all those extra yards because you are a very mediocre QB and very replaceable. By average I meant more of a Romo/Flacco/Tannehill/Dalton kind of guy.

And I think the problem with Schaub is that when he was throwing for a bunch of yards, keeping us in games, the team was just a notch below being a playoff calibre team. Then when the Texans got some talent on defense and improved the O-Line and run game, they turned the passing game conservative, because for the most part they wouldn't need to pass the ball to when. Then it seemed when the Texans needed to start passing again, Schaub had either forgotten how to do it from playing so conservative, was slowed down by his injury, had lost confidence, or had just naturally regressed. Fans never really saw Schaub at his best, because his best years were before the playoff era, and since he faltered in the playoffs the hate was all crazy. Followed by all the pix-sixes next year... makes me cringe to think about.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Schaub played above average against below average teams. He choked in the biggest moments, that was Schaub. By the way Schaub was another Texans qb that got shafted by the refs, he damn near got his head ripped off and did lose part of his ear and I think was never the same after and the defender wasnt even tossed from the game. If you want to try out your dirty techniques, try them out on Houston because we are the leagues whippin boy.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm starting to give up on getting that QB. Build the defense and OL and he will come. Shore up the LB core, get some safety help, and hope and pray Nix has a lot of motivation next year.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Mallet or we trade up for QB in draft. THIS is the glaring need thats holding us back....

Also, trade Andre for a draft pick. Preferably a 3rd rounder.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't understand the logic for trading Andre for a 3rd rounder. Is it cap space? If so, who will they sign instead? AJ wants to stay here. Thank God he does. Let him stay. Who are you going to replace him with? A 3rd round rookie? Gosh, i hope not.