1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Q] Origin of Houston Street Names

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tenchi, Oct 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Does anyone know the origin of why all the streets near the Galleria are named Post Oak something? Would anyone know where I could find that information? Thanks.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There used to be one long street where 610 West is that was called Post Oak. When they built 610 there were all these little snippets and chunks and successors of Post Oak left behind. They all got named Post Oak something.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

True. That is why you have so many Post Oaks in the Galleria area, and then a South Post Oak in my neighborhood (Meyerland/Westbury).

Here's a good one that I read in a Houston history book....

Do you know how the street Stella Link got its name?

Stella Link was the name of the mistress of the 2nd mayor in Houston's history (don't know his name). He wanted to honor his mistress by naming a street after her, but he didn't want his wife to find out, so he named a street after her that was way on the outskirts of town at the time (1800s I believe).

:D

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

what the f*ck is a westheimer?

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Did Telephone rd get named shortly after the invention of telephones? If so, I would expect it to be a lot bigger than the road we have now. Especially for such a huge invention.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Who was Main?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the history of that road goes way the hell back... back to the early 1900's. I know Southwestern Bell was around in the late 1800's. *EDIT* : Apparently I know wrong... it was founded in 1920.

For those of you with questions about these roads and their history, the Houston Architecture forum is a blast to read and a great place to ask these questions : http://www.houstonarchitecture.info

Here's a thread about Telephone Rd. I found on there... http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/lofiversion/index.php/t3151.html

#8 Dr of Dunk, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I wonder about the street names in "Downtown" Houston.

There's alot of WEIRD names down there... It's also very confusing! easy to get lost.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Like which names? Many of the proper names are names of Texas' historical figures.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

WTH? lol. I ought to subject you to rap music for that... check out this article :

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2007/09/six_questions_for_marks_hinton.html

Q: What street do people inquire about the most?

A: Stella Link. People wonder why the daughter of a Mr. & Mrs. Link got a street named for her. Actually the name is derived from the fact that it paralleled a railroad line that ran from Bellaire to Stella, Texas, a junction of the International-Great Northern and the Texas & New Orleans Railroads, south of Houston. Ergo, it was the link to Stella.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I honestly don't know).

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Speaking of railroads...

The town of Katy is named after the Missouri, Kansas, & Texas Railroad. On the side of their trains their name was abreviated 'K-T Railroad'.

K-T = Katy.

The one other street name that I find interesting is Tierwasser, misnamed after Heinrich Thürwächter.

Finally, if anybody want's a nice Houston historical mystery/treasure hunt, look up the lost Twin Sisters of San Jacinto which may still be burried somewhere on the east side of town.

16. Fatty FatBastard

Here's one for you. Do you know why almost all street names in Bellaire are named after trees?

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

because they were tree huggers.

they loved trees.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i know from living on the northside and going to the klein school district that klein, kykendahl (the street), and wunderlich are all german names...

19. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

nice of you guys to vote on naming west houston the westpark corridor :rolleyes:

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Something I read somewhere a while back. Who the hell knows! :D