1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Q] Jeremy Lin's impact in China?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jul 27, 2013.

1. koopa

koopa Member

The reason I want to ask is I heard that Taiwan have a identity conflict with big brother China and don't want to be a part of China. This is worrisome if he has no endorsement deals in China even though the only current ethnic Chinese in the NBA. Obviously his impact isn't even close to Yao. So does any from China can answer this question?

How huge of a moneymaker is he to Houston? This will be used as a measuring stick as part of his overall trade value to the team. :eek:

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

there is a huge chinese following behind him.

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

It's not just Chinese, it's a lot of Asians. The money he brings in is not really 'that' much to a team, he isn't Yao Ming, 1st overall pick, 7'6" and legendary skilled. If Lin got traded, team X's Asian population in the city might come to games, and a little bit of Chinese TV, but the Rox have a foothold on that community overseas with or without Jeremy Lin.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

When it comes to basketball, no one cares if his parents are from China or Taiwan. That is a jingoistic, local issue, sort of like me asking people on the streets of Shanghai how they feel about the US-Mexico border control.

Basketball fortunately transcends those shortsighted political squabbles.

5. landryfans

landryfans Member

As long as it didnt come with a ROC flag, for this reason CCAV reluctant broadcast rockets game.

There is a LIN cardboard in every KFC China (KFC > Mcdonald in China).

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A lot of Asians follow him, but IMO if the Rockets trade him, it's not as if would lose our foothold in China. That comes from Yao and what he has built up here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

We have the stranglehold on China because of Yao.

1 person likes this.
  8. formido

formido Member

Yeah. There was talk like this in some quarters about Andy Murray being Scottish, but that's just troublemakers. All of the UK celebrated Murray's recent wins.

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

The Chinese rather like Taiwan and its people, as long as no one brings up politics.

10. platypus

platypus Member

The idea that Jeremy is a "money maker" to the Houston Rockets is a vast overstatement. Thanks to the league "revenue sharing" the rockets only make 1/30 th of the revenue that jersey sales and merchandise generate as a result of Lin's popularity.

And the only direct way the rockets get income from an Asian Player's influence is selling visual advertisements and sponsorships on the Toyota center court which generates revenue but it accounts for something like 8% of the money that they make.

This was all that the rockets CEO said during a recent radio interview.

11. conquistador#11

i think it's very little. If I was Lex, I'd be trying to convince lin to play for glorious chinese national team like big yao. Yao was chinese, did you know?

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Not really popular here in Hong Kong, his popularity is way below Yao's, very few LOFs here from what I've observed.(Lakers is the no.1 team here, sigh.)

He's quite popular in mainland China, but clearly not as influential as Yao.

While in Taiwan he's the national hero there, the media cover everything about Lin.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except that he is American and/or Taiwanese?

14. conquistador#11

exactly:grin:
    like amare playing for israel. caveman for germany so on and so on.

15. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

rockets, because of yao, have a foothold in china and they know how to use that to market lin. other teams dont have this foothold and so lin wont be as valuable to them. add in the low bball value and lin is basically untradeable... the exceptions are perhaps the lakers and ny just because they are known worldwide.

16. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

we have Yao, a chinese legend, we dont need lin......but i do gotta admit, i have seen the asian community show up at toyota center ever since we got lin.

17. wowimmagical

wowimmagical Member

im pretty sure taiwan and china get along fine, i mean they all look alike right same people basically

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

A lot of people in general follow Lin, especially among the American faithful. I have no idea why some fans think it's just Asians.

This whole China/Taiwan pissing match is stupid. The "Taiwanese" are racially Chinese. They're the same people. Taiwan is just the island where the losers of the Chinese Civil War fled to.

19. SunsRocketsfan

Isnt that how the US was formed? Most were racially the same as the brits..but fought for independence..

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

OP was asking about Asians, not non-Asians.