1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A with Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stl1622dc, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good post.

But you have to understand. For every fervent x-only fan, there is an equally fervent x-only hater. No matter how knowledgeable the poster is, if his agenda is to promote one single player, he is going to rage war against those who are biased against the same player on the other side.

Being on this board for more than 10 years, I can tell you by experience that the war is not going to be pretty and it clutters up the otherwise civilized discussions among those of us who are in between.

2. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

You know, that's what Lin's rise represented in NY, hope. Playing the game the right way. Rising to the occasion. Like the Admiral said, there's a certain vibe about certain players that make them special. And Lin has it. Being in the right place at the right time. Hitting the clutch shot. The ultra-competitiveness that bleeds into the team culture. The work ethic. The drive. The "win" in a player. I swear I saw it in Lin. I know what Lowry and Gogi brought last year, I do. I still just didn't see the "it" factor in their games as I saw in Lin's. I'm sure he'll bring it in H-town. I'm sure after the jitters of the first 5-10 games and a successful half season, the playoffs will be within sight. I'm just sure of it, rookies and all.

3. theaesirsfinest

Man, I really respect your self-restraint. I would have flipped out and gone on a brutally condescending and mean-spirited tirade against the mob that's trying to label you as a racist, bigoted, yada yada hater.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Speaking of chilling out (and self-restraint)....this is from two separate threads over the weekend....at this rate you're going to get banned before the season even starts.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=164186

5. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, didn't know a Q&A article can stir so many emotions....

6. luden

luden Member

My last thoughts on this bc I know someone will respond bc he has to have the last word. It went from a q&a on Lin to resorting to a bully tactic, ie. trying to put people in their place by calling them LOF's. When you lump a group of people together and minimize their input by giving them a degrading name, you have to expect not-so-positive reactions. I don't know why this is such an issue. If realgm general and nyk didn't have these problems, surely this place can overcome the name calling.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's a message board. Responding to comments is 50% of what you can do here.

I was called a racist and that word in bold (in my my post prior to this one), yet what you found degrading and a bully tactic was being called a LOF. Not just that, but you're practically excusing their behavior because I "insulted" them first (I didn't).

It's that kind of Lin-centric reasoning that would make people think you're a LOF.

#247 RV6, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  8. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

RealGm users always had issues where people called others users names like fanboys, OFs, bandwagonners, etc and to an extent they still do (Kobe fans, Lin fans, Lebron fans, etc). But they also have a lot of mods and do a good job of making sure people aren't derailing the thread. They do a good job of keeping up-to-date with that and update their TOS policy.

If you checked the difference between the Warriors forum vs the Knicks forum, the Warriors JLin thread eventually became a insult fest with racial jokes included and the topics eventually got locked. On the flip side, the Knicks were able to enjoy "Linsanity" which made everyone super excited and the mods let it go for a while. People still called Lin overrated and called out LOFs, but it was more balanced because there was still a good number of Knicks fans who also supported Lin.

The way I see it, everything is fair game as long as you keep it to the player and not trying to insult the users personally. Things could be a lot worse and that's if Lin threads start becoming a political debate, "Chinese vs Taiwanese".

9. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

No, he's responding to being called LOF just like you have a right to be respond to being called racist, etc. It has nothing to do with Lin-centric reasoning, which is again demeaning. No one likes to be called names whatever it is.

10. Arthurprescott2

This thread went from Q&A (great) to me bringing up the player capsules (not so great apparently) which lead to a debate on Lin's "bball IQ" (interesting and somewhat illuminating) which prompted LOF accusations, spurring racist accusations (didn't see most of it cause I have so many of those posters "ignored"), and now it's an argument on who has a more justifiable position in defending themselves. YAY. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START! ONLY 30+ days...

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Just wait until the season starts and we start losing. This board will go completely **** with people making excuses about Lin and others calling them out for it. It will be like the yofs and tofs thing again and it won't be pretty. Except Lin is no where then players yao and Mac was.

That's the problem with people only following a team because of one player.

12. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

Dude, as someone who initially signed up here in Dec 2011 when the Rockets picked Lin off waivers—a "Lin fan" as you would call it, I want to apologize first and foremost for the other Lin fans that baselessly accused you of being a racist and an offensive euphemism for a homosexual that I would rather not repeat. I think me and some others here initially took issue with your insistence that Lin "couldn't/wouldn't go left", but you seemed to back off that stance once presented with evidence to the contrary. I'd have to commend your open-mindedness in that regard, as it certainly does not suggest any sort of irrational hatred/racism. Unfortunately, some members here (eg, GlenRice) have displayed that kind of bias, and due to people like that, I can certainly understand how many Lin fans can become wary of irrational haters and their motivations.

In addition, there's also the issue of implicit bias, the phenomenon where people unknowingly harbor subconscious biases that taint their perception of other people. An example of it is when hiring managers receive resumes from two equally qualified candidates, one with a white-sounding name, and one with a black-sounding name, they more often than not will conclude that the candidate with the white-sounding name is more qualified, often justifying it with seemingly irrational or irrelevant excuses. This occurs much more often in Lin discussions, but is much harder to pinpoint because it's often very subtle. More importantly, this is something that Lin himself most likely has had to contend with his entire career. Formido touched upon it, like how people often underrate or even completely discredit Lin's athleticism despite objective data in the form of combine tests that show that Lin stacks up with John Wall, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Rose.

So hopefully you get more of a sense of where Lin fans are coming from when they jump out of the woodwork to defend him. But I agree, we should all strive to keep it civil.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't forget Lin is also faster than usain bolt

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

No doubt but I am pretty sure losing is better than being a middle of a pack team. Number 1 overall pick here we come? We can only hope.

15. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

No, apollo33 is faster than lighter.

16. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I already blocked that guy and you should too. The comments he makes are just absurd. I will admit I am a LOF in regards to the Rockets like I am a CP3OF in regards to the Clippers but that doesn't mean I will not listen to reason or don't have basketball knowledge.

I rarely block people on any forum but on this forum I have already blocked over 10 people. A few LOFs, a few LOHs, and a few people who said some distasteful things. Anyone I see who makes distasteful comments in regards to gender, race, etc is an autoblock in my book.

17. kastuul

kastuul Member

It depends on fans expectation.

People should not use 1 game to conclude a player's value. It likes what NY did to Lin and repeats the Miami game comment.

As a rebuilding team, if they play hard and have growth, no one will complain.

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

If you think they'll start losing when the season starts, what keeps you a Rockets fan? I just can't imagine myself doing the same.

19. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

So the person who incited the riot got to tell everyone else to chill...

And why is there a need to lecture fans of Lin? Are you assuming that most Lin fans must be Asian and hence, know nothing about basketball or how to debate rationally and civilly in an internet forum? Do you lecture other foreign players' fans such as Scola's fans? Please spare us the condescending tone. Just because you've been a Rocket fan a bit longer. So what? There's seniority in fandom?

You should be glad that the Rocket is all of sudden in the spotlight and gains legion of fans overnight because of Lin. Or you'd rather to be a "small market" team and enjoy the peave and quiet? Except one, Lin fans in this thread had been very civil, very rational. Most have been able to back up our argument with numbers and articles despite the obvious prejudice of one particular poster toward Lin.

The extent he went through to discounting anything and everything about Lin can't be explained away by anything but prejudice. Lin is "no where near Irving and Rubio"? Lin's PER was top 10 among PGs last season. Rubio was 36th. Irving was 7. Lin could perform so well because of psychological high? Sure. All teams should figure out that formula and feed their players with it. And sure, none of the teams Lin faced last season had a scout report on Lin. Don't you know their scouts need a season to produce a report. It's fanscinating that Lin was the only young player took advantage of this scouting report vacumm. And yup, his 25 starts were too small a sample but his one game against Miami reveals everything we need to know about his place in the NBA. He's a D leaguer! And no, no other starting PG had ever had an off game.

It's a shame that such a wonderful Q&A with Lin is ruined by such obvious prejudice and hostility toward his fans.

20. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

peace

One more thing: Lin's fanbase is different from Yao's fanbase. But to a person harboring prejudice, it's difficult to see.