1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put yourself in Morey's shoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jul 2, 2013.

1. kcd

kcd Member

Yup that's what Lin did during Linsanity, alot of new or returning fans started watching the NBA again. So if he's able to become better and better, more new fans will probably start watching.

2. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Early season struggles (due to injury and new system) aside, I don't think we can get the same value back if we trade Lin. If Lin can play the way he played after all star break, he will be an all star in a few years.

PGs develop slowly, just look at the HOF PGs and their first few years in the league.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I actually would prefer him as a sixth man, much like when we had Brooks and Lowry, I wanted Lowry to start and Brooks offensive punch to come off bench like a Bobby Jackson type, I think Lin would thrive in that role. But with how much Lin gets paid and the backlash from lof it would be he'll on Rockets organization.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see how this is an argument in his favor. Average is meh.

FWIW, I personally hope we're able to keep him and he gets better (and quicker) with his jumper. That's a longshot, I know, but I would like to see him succeed here (as long as I can put his fans on my CF Ignore list).

5. kcd

kcd Member

Not at a very low price anyways. Most average/above average starting PGs salary range probably from 7-10 million, those not on their rookie contract anyways.

6. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Could be just a matter of adjusting the minutes, helps keep Harden healthy.

7. jocar

jocar Member

No, I was correcting the OP with this guy from China's quote :)

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Playing 40 min a game like Harden did this year was a bi-product of a young team with only one main go to guy, if we do sign Howard and with continued maturation of Lin and Parsons I think the min will regulate themselves. 40 min a game is too much IMO 35 - 38 for your key guys is good, really depends on who we sign to back up the 2&3.

9. jocar

jocar Member

I really like that idea too, or to at least try it as an experiment. Who knows, it might have the same success Harden had @ OKC. 1. We still need a scoring punch in our 2nd unit. 2. He wouldn't feel obligated to defer; he'd be more aggressive 3. No overlap= more efficient= less 3pt shooting/more penetration.

But again, just not sure if Morey wants $8M allocated to minor minutes.

1 person likes this.
  10. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I specifically was saying Lin's impact in China is overstated. You will not see Lin's jersey or people caring about Lin in China as alin86/jocar mentioned. China's infatuation with the Rockets stems back to Yao and even the Dream era.

Overall I agree though, Lin has a lot of fans and opened up a big potential market worldwide.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Him playing 40 mpg is a coaching issue.... 30 mpg is the right amount. No player should play more than 32-36, it's too much and ur body wears down. Linsanity won't happen again, period.

12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Harden avg was 12-16 as a 6th man, the best 6th men only get about 16-18 a game. Lin from bench would be the same as starting. The only difference would be the minutes harden gets with Lin not on the floor in the first quarter, after that, they would basically overlap minutes.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Time to take a sedative and go to bed. ;)

14. Illegal Machine

"Try walking in my shoes. You'll stumble in my foot steps." - Depeche Morey