1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Up or Shut Up, Conservatives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dandorotik, Dec 6, 2017.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, in a court of law. However, when it comes to whether someone is fit to serve in elected office, a much lower standard applies, as evidenced by all of the people who have recently seen their careers end based solely on accusations while others simply deny while their supporters ignore the allegations due to partisan bias.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

one party in this country likes to market themselves as the party of christianity, god, morals and family values while at the same time saying that the other party is against those things...so i do think at the least, the former should be held to their own standards.

one party in this country is trying to push so-called bathroom bills to "protect children from predators" - while at the same time backing a child predator.

even worse, people are citing their christianity as a reason to support a pedophile.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Can Trump disown Trump? Didn't think so.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My suspicion is that a lot of Republican or Trump voters think the Democrats are really dumb about forcing out their own Senators. That it is stupid but of course they won't object or say anything because it's a net gain for the conservatives that Democrats excoriate their own. I've seen some liberals say that they buy credibility by having a zero-tolerance policy while God's Own Party endorses sexually immoral people. I think this isn't correct. I think the Democrats will not be given the credit they hope to get from voters. Plenty of voters will not see any virtue in dumping capable representatives for their personal failings -- they will in fact see it as moralizing and condescension -- and will continue to vote for people with scandals in their past. I am a character voter; but most people are not. So good luck on your efforts to nail the party of pedophiles to the wall on this one, but I'm not optimistic that it will work.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

What I'm most disappointed in with the right is emotional logic. There are some beliefs both sides will never agree on and that's fine. But because of those beliefs and the emotions behind them, people have begun to support the most absurd things I've seen in America (Moore). Likewise, they can't see right in front of their face (or end up ok with) that their party is f***ing them right in the a** for their own benefit. Healthcare, the tax reform, privatization of education, net neutrality, pharma laws, and even gun control are all changes that ultimately hurt the majority of their voter base. Trickle down doesn't work and the free market actually gets a lot less free under these recent bills. If you support these motions, you're either selfish wealthy, don't care about American principles, or just sheepled into thinking what they're doing is actually going to be for the better.

B-ball freak and CometsWin like this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

what seats /gains have the Republicans got from any Democratic misbehavior?

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They have one less Democrats to worry about in the senate until a replacement for Franken is made, so now it is 52 out of 99 instead of 52 out of 100.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

because you are a masochist?

10. JuanValdez

I don't think that matters. But, they lose some seniority in the Senate. They have to replace effective veteran people with someone who is green. And, the Democrats have set a precedent now where a Senator in a less safe seat will also have a lot of pressure to resign if accusations come up. I expect activist conservative groups will identify Congressmen where a Republican governor would name his replacement or in a swing state where a Republican could win if incumbency was removed from the race. And they will start searching for dirt, perhaps even fabricating it, so they can leverage this zero-tolerance policy to force Congressmen out. It's ridiculous to think that these moves don't hurt the Democratic party.

11. TheresTheDagger

Even though I wasn't called out here, I would point out the only politician I have called out was Roy Moore. And that is only because I felt the people of Alabama deserve better to choose from.

12. TheresTheDagger

This isn't necessarily a bad thing for Dems. Its entirely possible that Conyers (for example) needed to be replaced with a more talented younger person in their caucus.

And you don't think Dems are doing the same? This is politics. What's good for the goose...

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I added you. I think what we see here is that several conservatives on this board do put country over party. That's refreshing.

For the record, although I would side with Clinton's policies over W. Bush's, from what we know about both, I would certainly put W Bush above Bill Clinton in terms of Presidents I admire for their extracurricular actions. Hate to say it, but Clinton has had numerous accusers and we liberals can't let him off the hook.

14. JuanValdez

Sure they are. That's how Roy Moore got outed -- a journalist snooping around. That wasn't my point. I'm not making value judgments at the moment. My point is that the Democrats chose to make this a vulnerability for themselves while the Republicans just developed a callus. You can find another Republican sexual predator in Congress but the voter has already rationalized that personal misconduct doesn't matter to holding office. The scandal would have to be pretty egregious for a Republican congressman to be forced to resign after Trump and Moore already got passes. Not so for Democrats. If you can find some credible accusers, you can unseat him.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, I don't know how egregious it would have to be for republicans to not vote for the republican candidate. A candidate in Montana who was guilty of assault easily won. And now a child rapist will win in Alabama. I think trump was correct... a candidate could shoot someone in Times Square and republicans will still vote for him.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am on record saying Franken shouldn't resign. I don't care if Trump resigns. I should probably resign because I said some x rated things about some consenting women to my friends. I am thankful they consented but it was touch and go for a second there.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Again, very fair. Cool beans.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BINGO
    This is exactly the way I feel

This is all show with Franken but the net gain won't be anything . . . probably a net loss
    While a Demo will replace Franken . . . .I don't think they automatically get his seat on various committees

Rocket River