1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purpura Live on 740AM for Astroline @ Live

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Jan 12, 2005.

1. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I am sorry but we don't go from one game being in to the world series to all of sudden let's rebuild with young guys. They are rebuilding one year too early. Management is just plain stupid there.

They should have gave Kent that second year and then go all out on Beltran even if it is over paying him if they had to. That would have been one outragous contract with Bagwell and Biggio coming off the books soon. 105 million offer is a competitve offer like they said but this is an all or nothing offseason to repeat the run.

Like people said there was no other worthy free agent. I would have done everything in my power to keep the same magical team, they had the chemistry.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then you better start following the Yankees, Mets, or Red Sox... cause not every team goes out and signs big FA's every off-season.

I stand by the fact that the only big name everyday FA player that fit this team was Beltran. Sure, I'd "take" Beltre, Drew, or Finley if they were being handed to me... but I'd never build a team around any of those guys (and that's the type of money they recieved).

Clement? honestly, you haven't been watching him or else you'd see the Cubs starting Glendon Rusch in his place down the stretch.

The team that the Astros have to keep their eyes on is the Cardinals... both in terms of how they perform, and the type of roster they build (because they both have similiar payrolls, and play in similiar markets). They gave up a kings ransom to get Mulder (who is easilly injured), and they failed to re-sign Renteria... that's not that stellar of an off-season either.

BUT... you don't see them going out willy-nilly and signing big players just because they had good years. You HAVE to think about how they fit the team... how you plan on filling other needs once you commit their $$$... and how much of their performance is based on consistency, or just simply one big FA year (Drew, Beltre).

The name of the game for this, and all other mid-market teams, is still player-development. It gets you Berkman, Oswalt, and Lidge. And while it is currently dry at AA and AAA (save Astacio, Tavares, and Bucholz)... these things run in cycles... and Mitch Einertson and Troy Patton are going to RISE through the system in fast-track fashion.

I know its hard to think long-term, but once Beltran refused to re-sign, that's what this team has to do... even though a core of Berkman, Oswalt, Everett, Ensberg, and Lidge will still win you a fair share of games.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Troy Patton is a fantastic pitcher. I was thrilled the Astros got him, because I didn't want Rice to have to face him in a playoff situation. He should have gone top 3 rounds if it weren't for his idiotic demand that he wanted a $1 million signing bonus. Left handed, low 90s pitcher with a great future - from Tomball, too.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... Drayton stepped up big time on this one... this team has NEVER picked a big-name draft pick because of $$$ issues, but Lance's dad (his agent) convinced him otherwise.

Too bad Lance's dad couldn't have represented Beltran.

5. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

our top level clubs in the minors are pretty bare. The lower levels that is a different story it is supposedly stockpiled.

Losing beltran our compensation is a first round supplemental and a 2nd round that is what purpura said tonite so that will help even more. 4 picks total in the first and 2nd round this year

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Taveras better learn to drive the ball or he'll get busted inside by RHP at the major league level all year long.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

... as well as, Josh Muecke and Fernando Nieve

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just got goosebumps hearing those names (although Nieve struggled once he got to AA last year).

For a guy who followed Oswalt, Lidge, and Hernandez's careers in the minors... I'm pretty psyched when I see talent down there, because it DOES translate into major league success, and in the case of Oswalt and Lidge... major league greatness.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Have you had a chance to see Jimmy Barthmaier?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not as young as Patton (he's 21), but he's a big guy... kinda reminds me of Qualls, and could very well end up as a bullpen/middle relief guy if he doesn't make it as a starter.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I would say his struggles were far less than the struggles Einertson saw when he hit low A. On a side note... Could the Astros have an Oswalt clone in Matt Albers? From what I've heard, the scouts are pretty high on him (although I don't think his stuff is quite up to Roy's caliber).

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised by how much Willy Tavarez people are calling for. Did he even take one swing in AAA last season? Sure, he's fast and can play CF well, and those are things that will immediately transfer to the major league level...but you could be talking about a guy that hits less than Brad Ausmus. Do you want another guy like that on the team right now? I say give him a year (or at least half a year, depending on how he handles it) at triple A and go from there.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice selective memory. You managed to leave out the centerpieces of BOTH deals.

"Some other schmuck" was Daric Barton, a catcher considered one of the best offensive prospects in baseball. Haren is probably better than any pitching prospect we could put up, and Calero is a rock solid reliever.

"Some no name" was Dan Meyer, a 24 year old lefty who was one of the Braves top pitching prospects, and is expected to be in the A's rotation this year. Juan Cruz has a tremendous arm and had a 2.75 ERA last year. Thomas and Lane are probably equals. Thomas is 2 years younger.

Point is, you don't get Hudson or Mulder without dipping into at least a couple of Astacio, Buchholz, Taveras, Backe type prospects. I think the Astros want to hold off doing that because we've got the ace already, and would prefer to develop another cheaply.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe I confused Nieve struggling at AA with his playoff performance there... he actually was very good in the 3 games he started in the regular season (according to the stats).

Einterston did struggle at Tri-city... but he didn't play much there, and also hit a HR in the final week, so I'll wait till we get a bigger sample.

Still... the stuff he did in the Appy league is scary, and has never been done before.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Absolutely. Hopefully he keeps showing the pop in his bat and his rookie league debut is more than just a fluke season.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

For some weird reason I feel like we are going to over achieve and make the playoff this season. I just can't explain the details of this felling.

For my wish list- I want to see Taveras and Burke starting on opening day in centerfield and 2nd base respectively, and 1 and 2 in the batting order.

Now lets go spend some money on pitching.

17. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

It certainly looks like its going to be a tough year. Burnitz isn't the answer at all. The guy struggled to hit .280 last season. Yes, 280 in Colorado is struggling. We can not have another automatic out in this lineup. I can't believe that this team is even considering him.

The person that I would really like to see as our new centerfielder is Shannon Stewart. He may not be the greatest defensively out there, but he can't do any worse than Biggio, Lane. We should be able to package some minor leaguers (Whiteman, Bucholz, Astacio) to make this happen. The Twins may demand Burke instead of Whiteman. We'd have to think long and hard about that one, but I think it still may work out best for us.

2B Burke/Biggio
    CF Stewart
    RF Berkman/Biggio?
    1B Bagwell/Biggio
    LF Lane/Biggio
    3B Ensberg
    SS Everett
    C Ausmus

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is mildly ironic. I guess you don't remember the big bonus that the Astros gave to Lance Berkman when he was one of the top 5-10 players in the draft but slid to 16 because of money issues.

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Rusch only made starts because of injuries to Prior and Wood (and possibly Clement IF HE WAS INJURED) down the stretch. Don't comment on what you don't know. He didnt take his spot in the rotation.

Haren. Calero and some backup catcher....nice ransom

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its different though... he was a bonafied 1st round pick, a college player of the year, and he would have eventually been picked by somebody in the 1st two rounds.

Patton was a HS who was all set to go to college, when the Astros finally bit in the 7th round. Slipping a couple of picks is one thing, but the fact that nobody was willing to meet Patton's demands but us is the reason I say Drayton stepped up.

This team does not normally draft the HS pitchers who usually have the ridiculous contract demands, yet have not really proven much in competitive baseball. In this case, they did...