1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public Speaking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CHI, Mar 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Asian Sensation

Just tell everyone you're member #95. Nothing else matters once that's out there.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One piece of advice I always find helpful it to take your time. I try to slow everything down in my head. Don't be afraid of pauses. It may seem like an eternity to you on stage but it doesn't appear that way to everyone else.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kinda depends if its wanting to be COMPOSED and not nervous giving the speech, or if its actually about the speech and "pitch" itself being influential, like if its an informative speech or persuasive speech.

All about PREPARATION and PRACTICE regardless. And do normally uncomfortable things like record yourself speaking to get used to how bad you might look then the awkwardness will subside. And if there's a certain part of speeches you hate, then get GOOD at what you hate, and things get easier after that.

I dont have public speaking experience to groups, I have some direct sales/"solicitations" experience and some minor theater arts experience lol

All about CONFIDENCE when speaking to others. The actual SOURCE of confidence doesnt matter as much, as long as its SOMETHING you can identify (Anything from "Yay Dwight Howard is back!" to "These new shoes look GOOD")

Wouldnt get focus caught up in mechanical things that make you too self conscious like tone of voice, pitch, structure and timing, that kinda thing. As long as you're enjoying what you're doing, even if its messing up a little, others will respond.

(Or seriously just FAKE IT til You MAKE IT! :) Might have to take on another persona and be "somebody else" thats not the usual you. Me having bad anxiety, thats worked for me)

4. AB423

AB423 Member

I took a quarter of a Xanax before a presentation once and it made my presentation go very smooth, you should try it out.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love it. It's literally among my favorite things to do.

You will get used to it...but you don't want the nerves to ever go away for good. They help.

Treat it like a conversation as much as you can.

Be prepared...know your topic well. If you're asked a question you can't fully answer, give as much information as you can, and don't be scared to ask for a business card or contact info so you can follow up with the person later after you've had time to research their specific question more. It's ok not to be able to answer every possible question on a subject. I think people appreciate the candor.

Make fun of yourself. Be able to laugh at yourself if you screw up. At the end of the day, it's not nearly as important as what you've built it up to be in your mind. You're standing on a rock which is spinning around a giant star. One day that giant star will consume the rock. Your speech is just your speech.

Honestly, if I could do it every day I would. And I don't mean in a courtroom where I have to think about the rules of evidence at the same time. Just speaking publicly to people on a topic that might help them.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

look at Ted's talk on speaking about nothing.

i think everyone can definitely improve with practice. you have to know your stuff though to speak confidently.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sucks to be you nerd! ;)

I imagine it will become second nature after the first several times. Otherwise, you're doing it wrong. Pretty soon...it will be just another presentation and just another audience.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Fake it till you make it is a good point. It is something that only gets better with time, as you'll be more confident and comfortable the more you do it.

9. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Thanks for all the great advice guys. It really helps. I think I am on my way ;)