1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public Speaking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CHI, Mar 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Don't memorize it, know it.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Just wanted to echo the beta blocker recommendation. Will keep the heart rate down and keep the butterflies under control. Then you can rely on your preparation.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I do this all the time. I personally do better when I don't memorize stuff, at least not verbatim, and treat it like a conversation I'm having with a few people in the audience. When I memorize stuff, I tend to get distracted when I screw up and forget something.

1 person likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

1. Start by writing your speech full text, double line spacing, 16 point (large footer). Put it in a folder with plastic sleeves so you can easily turn the page .

2. Practice the speech to the mirror, try and maintain eye contact with yourself (you're reading from the folder, and flipping the pages, practice reading from your peripheral vision). Do this quite a few times.

3. Do it live (in a small group), but don't let your folder be at all visible, needs to be hidden, and nobody sees you flipping the pages.

4. Reduce your text to bullet points. Give the same speech from bullet points.

5. Reduce your bullet points to headers. Give the same speech. You can put the headers on a single sheet of paper, which you leave lying somewhere that you can glance at it should you forget the next header.

Ok, you now know your content well enough. Now you need to practice the speaking part (you've been practicing already, you just don't realize it).

1. It needs to be a conversation.
    2. Vary your pace and tone and volume
    3. BE EXCITED at the points you want others to be excited.

Giving a talk is like a bus ride. You need an interesting beginning so that people hop on the bus, then you need to keep them on the bus for the journey by interspersing stories as you go. And you need to tell people how it will benefit their lives. Don't wait until the end to do this, do it all the way through.

Once you get your confidence up, learn to ask the audience questions, and find a little bit of banter with their response - it makes it funny and keeps people engaged and wanting to listen to you.

GOOD LUCK!

5. Apps

Apps Member

In my experience, being completely and totally prepared for the presentation is really the trick. Don't try to outline every single word or sentence you want to say, but rather outline the concepts, topics, and the organization of what you are going to say.

If you're using a powerpoint, use the powerpoint as a point of reference for your speech, and NEVER be in a position where you're simply reading off of it. If you're writing your bullet points in such a way that you're inclined to vocalize them verbatim, then rewrite your bullet points in simpler language that allows you to expand on it personally. Always have more to say than what is written on the powerpoint, and look at it as little as possible while you're presenting. Basically just use it as reference for the audience, so they can see the logical progression of your speech.

But yeah, others have already said it and it sounds like it isn't actually good advice, but it really, really is. Preparation is number one. Think about your speech, think about different ways to say the same concept over and over again. Think about how you want to go from one concept to the next, how you can relate separate topics to one another to help people understand what you're saying, etc. The more distinct ways you think about your presentation, the easier it'll be to spit out when the time comes. Every time I've had to speak publicly, it's like someone else takes over my voice when I start. In the moments leading up to it I'm wracked with doubt and anticipation, but if you're truly prepared it'll be like an out-of-body instinct taking over, and you might be surprised how much confidence you exude without even trying.

Some other tips are to always believe you are more informed than your audience. Even convince yourself that you're "better" than them. Obviously don't let this affect your tone and make you sound like a pompous ass, but try to make yourself feel like you're teaching something new to people who truly don't understand or know anything about it. This will help you sound sincere and passionate about what you're talking about, and may help hold people's interest.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

one word: propranolol

Takes the physical effects of being nervous...the pounding heartbeat, butterflies, short of breath..it's weird because you expect it to be there when you go to make a presentation but it's not there.

I take 10mg before any big presentations I have to do.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup. didn't see these before I posted. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to make presentations I have been doing for work without it.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Know your stuff, be able to answer any questions, if you mess up, don't worry about it, correct yourself if you need to and continue pushing forward. Just because you messed up doesn't mean anyone else does. I did acting as a child in middle school and dabbled in improv in high school. I unfortunately stopped, but I speak regularly in front of clients (which is obviously different) but at company parties I do have to give speeches (again, not regularly and very different).

Preparation is key to feeling confident and moving forward with your goals. Otherwise the pain and uncomfortableness of not being prepared will hinder your performance. I hope that helps!

9. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

First thing first, know your material really well. Cause there might be a moment where you get nervous from seeing something or whatever but you have to be able to get back on track fast. humor is big too, you get that first laugh you'll be soo much more confident. but joke has to come naturally...

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Agree with this, Toast Masters and practice. Even if you're naturally gifted you'll get better with practice and experience.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Same here, I've had to give a lot of presentations in front of a lot of folks when I started my new job. My throat occasionally use to close up but with propranolol Im good...it makes me feel a lot more confident too...maybe it's a mental thing now I dunno, but it definitely works.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Propranolol is prescription only, right? I don't get how so many of you guys are using it on a regular basis.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A doctor?

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha. Right... just didn't think you could easily walk into a doctor's office and ask for a medicine used to treat something for a non-medical reason.

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That's why the commercials say "tell your doctor about...."

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

ya that's the worst..where you feel like you can't speak.

well you tell them your non medical reason. doctors are well aware that people use beta blockers for stage/presentation anxiety.

the reason beta blocker is better than other "psych" meds is that it doesn't screw your with your brain or put you in a fog. It just blocks that physical fight or flight response.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Hate public speaking. Would rather get a rectal exam from Cosby

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Confidence, confidence, confidence. Seriously, I can’t say it enough – it is all about confidence. I spent three years as a consultant for Microsoft and had to go into some of the biggest environments and companies in the world and look at executives and upper management and tell them what they were doing wrong, and how to fix it. Once I got very comfortable doing so, I also took on a training role and led classroom training and learning sessions with upwards of 20 people or so. If you waver in your confidence, they will doubt you. It wasn't that difficult to adapt for me.

My best advice to build your confidence is simple. Strike up conversations several times a day with people you normally wouldn't talk to. Standing in line at the grocery store? Talk to the person in line in front of you, or even the cashier or bagger. Grabbing a latte? Talk to the barista or someone else waiting for their coffee. Comment on the weather, your mutual need for a caffeine fix, their shoes or anything else to kick things off. Try to keep the conversations going as long as possible without making it awkward. If it does get awkward and you make a fool of yourself, who cares - they won't remember you in a day or two to begin with.

To this day I literally spark up conversations with random strangers throughout my day. It made my life on the road much more enjoyable meeting and talking to countless interesting individuals at hotel bars across the lower 48. My now ex-girlfriend found by ability to talk to anyone really weird, thus one of the many reasons she’s now an ex.

As for keeping an audience engaged, don’t follow a script. If you need to follow an agenda or PowerPoint never read it word for work, summarize and generalize when possible (utilize the "notes" field in the PowerPoint slides). Ask for feedback from the audience (like “raise your hand if you've ever…” or “who here has experience with…”) and make it a two-way discussion when possible.

Remember, you were hired because you are an expert in your field – so the people you will be speaking to are SEEKING your knowledge, which puts you in power. In a way, you are superior to them (specifically regarding the subject), so don’t be nervous in front of them. They want to know what you know, and it is your job to pass that information on to them in a way that is engaging and easy to digest.

Long story short. Have confidence in yourself and don’t take it too seriously. You know the source material, so even when you stumble or screw up – you can always recover.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fixed.

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I think of DeAleck as he has made TED speeches but I'm not sure if he has overcome his fear of speaking in public. I'd also be curious to know where he learned.