1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public Option Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Granville, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Granville

Granville Member

Since there seem to be a lot of supporters for the Public Option in this forum, I was wondering if someone could explain how much of the monthly premium the government will pay if any.

For example on my own policy for a family of 4. I pay approx 100 per month myself and my company pays approx 800 per month. Using those numbers, what would someone who had the public option insurance expect to pay?

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be an independent insurance agency, just like your current insurance. So if your employer wanted to offer it, they would negotiate directly with the public company, just like he does with his current insurance agent.

The hope is that because it isn't a for profit, they will exert downward pressure on premiums and wouldn't gouge small businesses that don't have leverage to the benefit of large corporations. So your boss would hopefully pay less than the $800 and you would pay less than the $100. On the other hand, if conservatives are right about public sector bloat, the company won't be able to offer cheaper insurance and nobody will choose it over the for profit options.

There will be no payment of your premiums by the government. The only thing is that the government does is to mandate some of the details of the types of coverage they can offer.

#2 Ottomaton, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. bucket

bucket Member

If you, as an individual, use the public plan, you pay for all of it yourself. If you have insurance through your employer, you likely would not pay for the public plan.

I think most economists would argue that people whose insurance is partly paid for by their employers actually bear much of the cost themselves, in the form of lower wages.

4. Major

Major Member

The public option has nothing to do with the subsidy. Depending on your income, you may or may not get an insurance subsidy if you don't get insurance through your employer - you can then use that subsidy on the public option insurance or private sector insurance. They participate in the same market and are treated equally.

5. Granville

Granville Member

The bottom line is that the majority of families who don't have insurance today or aren't eligible for medicaid or medicare could soon be forced to adjust their budget to absorb a 500 -1000 monthly insurance premium.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Wrong. Again. As usual.

7. Major

Major Member

The bottom line of what? What does this have to do with your original post? :confused:

8. Granville

Granville Member

As usual, a member of the herd is a total jackass, instead of just making their point.

Then what is a fair figure that a family of 4 will pay under the public option. Keep in mind, I chose the least expensive plan at my work.

I seem to recall you not having insurance so I'm sure you've done your homework. Enlighten me.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Wrong. Again. As usual.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Granny's thread was a trap. He's just pissed no one bit.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Interesting. Why will it cost ~1 trillion then?

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, since it won't your question is irrelevant. That is the estimate for the total bill. The costs aren't associated with the public corporation, but rather other aspects of the plan.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If this goes through just start shorting insurance companies as they will die. Heck the goverment should just go ahead and do this and they could pay for the healthcare bill with no tax money.

14. Granville

Granville Member

Still no response to the issue..... You are a huge supporter, enlighten me.

Sorry for mistaking you with someone who said they didn't have insurance.

15. Granville

Granville Member

2+2 is a trap for you McMark.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Which aspects would those be? Those seem to be some rather large aspects.

17. Granville

Granville Member

I was responding to the 2 posts before yours that said no subsidy.

As far ss you go, outline the premiums for a family of 4 earning 100K with the least expensive plan.

Tell me what the determining factor is for who does or who does not get the subsidy.

18. Major

Major Member

You were given answers and chose to ignore them and remain ignorant. It's amusing to see vehement opponents of reform who don't understand even the basic concepts of the things being proposed.

19. Major

Major Member

It would depend on the market prices of insurance at the time (around 2013 or whenever these plans would be going online).

Income.

Odd that you believe you know the "bottom line" but don't know the answers to extraordinarily basic questions about health care reform.

20. uolj

uolj Member

You seem to be conflating the public option with other aspects of health care reform. Can you clarify what you're asking about?

Are you talking about a potential mandate, and the minimum amount one would have to pay if they currently decline all coverage?

Are you talking about a potential mandate, and the amount one would have to pay if they currently decline all coverage and they decided to choose a potential public option under the mandate?

Are you not talking about any mandate, and are just curious what the expected cost of the premiums will be under a potential public option for any individual who chooses to use it?

Or something else?