1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public Health Expert predicts sports events won't be able to return until Fall 2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Apr 15, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

No that's not enough, unless every single person who is in the arena is checked every 3 days for the whole time.

From the other Covid19 thread:
    What happened to the Bolshoi Ballet is a prime example why no team sports will be able to be played in empty arenas this season.

Tested everyone 2 days before the perfomance and all came negative. Put them in a hotel for quarantine and then held a fundraising live tv event in an empty auditorium.

After that they retested everyone and came back with 34 positives.
    All asymptomatic.
    Why?
    Because presymptomatics aren't detected by even the best tests and are the most contagious.
    It's impossible to conduct a perfomance or a game of team sport, with social distancing

If you have a SINGLE game with one presymptomatic player, by the end of it he will have infected dozens of other people.

jcf, Nook and SamFisher like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Life involves risk. To try to solve for a case where there is ZERO chance of getting the Coronavirus is absurd. Society will cease to exist if we approach risk management in this way. We won't have an economy or even civil order. We need to get back to work ASAP, including sports. The virus poses a very low risk to people under 60 y/o without bad health problems. Everyone else be careful, but the healthy need to go back to life ASAP.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

It's the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT AND I FEEL FINE!

There are a lot of people not practicing social distancing in this video...:eek:

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no way professional sports will be able to wait that long. It's one thing to do what you can to slow the spread, but just locking out things like this til 21' just isn't going to happen. Life goes on and there's no such thing as having a 0 chance of covid-19. At some point, you do what you can to take the precautions necessary that are put in place. Stalling sports all the way til things are "normal" just isn't realistic

A lockdown was not meant to halt all non-essential activity for two years. It was put in place to prevent the health-care system from being overwhelmed. A vaccine is what over a year give or take from being developed. There comes a point where you have to look at the best strategies to perform many normal activities in safer ways. sports without fans is one of them

#44 YOLO, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tilman faints

6. malakas

malakas Member

There's no such thing as having 0 chance of covid19, but there is such a thing as having minimal chance of getting covid19.
    Which is what most responsible states will tell people of most NBA coaches/officials/security guards age to do.
    Stay in lockdown until a vaccine because they face a significant chance to die.

You know what else they will say? Continue social distancing.
    You know what else they will say? Don't meet in groups, where superspreader events can happen.

7. TilmanFinancialWindfall

That's what the Johns say! Life is all about risk. Virus ain't going to stop them!!!!!

"
    By Laura NewberryStaff Writer
    April 15, 2020
    10 AM

Armed with condoms and disposable thermometers, the outreach workers ventured out to streets in South Los Angeles notorious for sex trade activity.

They expected that some women would still be working on this chilly Friday night in early April. But what they saw caught them off guard.

Two weeks into the mandated state-at-home orders designed to curb the coronavirus pandemic, not only were sex workers out in pre-quarantine numbers — but so were the johns.

“It was business as usual,” said Stephany Powell, executive director of Journey Out, an L.A.-based nonprofit that helps victims of sex trafficking.

Some of the johns who continue to solicit services amid the pandemic have taken advantage of the situation, demanding that they pay less money and seeking riskier sex"

Nook and Easy like this.
  8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's not what Dr. Anthony Fauci said today.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coronaviru...with-dr-anthony-fauci-blessing-171937435.html

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Staying in lockdown until a vaccine develops is no where near possible. At some point putting life essentially on hold is no longer a viable option, You do what you can to minimize as much risk as possible to get back to that “normal”, as my previous post states

#49 YOLO, Apr 15, 2020
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Trump expected the lockdown to end by Easter, maybe he meant Easter of 2021. ;)

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Too bad for Tilman, he wasn't expecting the June return to be without fans.

He and Dolan were 2 of the 3 owners that wanted to continue playing. Who was the other idiot owner that voted to continue to play with the virus, along with Dolan and tilman?

13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

He disbanded the "Re-Opening of America" counsel group after all the CEO told him we can't open until we have testing and a system in place.

LOOKS LIKE WE'RE OPENING BACK UP on May 1! DAMN BE SCIENCE AND WHAT ANYONE TELLS ME

Easy likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The problem is, sports is NOT essential to people's lives. When it is gone long enough, people will move on. I stopped following the NFL after the Oilers left. The Texans did not interest me. I watch about 5 full NFL games per season, including the playoffs and the SB.

Also, how many deaths among players will it take until they are pressured to stop the whole thing again?

15. Caprah

Caprah Member

China gift that keeps giving. Cheap knock off garbage products, SARS and now this

ashleyem likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

no way will people just move on. and its as "essential" to getting back to normal as it gets. It's one thing for the fans but you think the actual players are just fine with giving up millions of dollars in the long run and what they've worked their entire life for and is their life right now. nah. there's no just moving on from that. we've witnessed a number of players in the league get the virus, yet so many guys including marquee guys saying they can't wait to get back to actually playing. you might have "stopped" following nfl but I still watch games, ok. your own ironic anecdote doesn't mean the nfl turned into the xfl with empty stadiums.

I completely disagree that people will just move on. sports is a much bigger aspect in the average persons life than you're giving it credit for. and the money and overall support or worldwide fandom agrees with that. this isn't the g-league basketball where nobody goes to the games and generally couldn't careless what happens there. the major league sports are very much an aspect of life that are needed to get back on track at some point.

#56 YOLO, Apr 15, 2020
    Easy and The Cat like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

no basketball is driving me crazy...no games to watch...can’t even hoop

I’ve run out of Rockets highlights and games to watch, I’ve seen em all...I need something new

s3ts likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

China ruined 2020...I had so many things I wanted to do this summer

can hardly do anything because u don’t want to contract the virus or give it to someone else...countless have lost jobs

2020 is trash

s3ts and ashleyem like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

That's exactly what the EU commisioner said will happen to over 60s and immunocompromised.
    Over 60s...like most of nba coaches.

20. malakas

malakas Member

So what?
    He isn't the only scientist in the world.

There are studies that actually prove the infectiousness of presymptomatics as well how they are undetectable by the best PCR tests.
    Do you want me to post them?

We have both scientific proof as well empirical evidence on how group events can lead to mass spreading that skips even strict test control.

Btw he just gave a vague plan on how it could possibly work.
    For his idea to be feasible everyone involved must be in strict isolation/quarantine for the whole time of the games played AND be constantly tested every 3 to 5 days.
    Otherwise presymptomatics will infect others. And many of them are in risky groups.