1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS4] The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Dec 3, 2016.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

**** that stupid giant ambulance monster. Killed me so many damn times. Finally beat it but mannnnb

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ah I now see why people are b****ing about the game. Lol y’all are lame as hell

3. RohanRider1

RohanRider1 Member

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Finished. I absolutely loved it.

I do think I liked the firsts story better but that was still damn good and that last scene almost brought a tear to my eye.

Fck so intense tho. I need to play snipper clips for a week to get over it.

5. noize

noize Contributing Member

I also had issue with this Boss bc of my incompetence to conserve ammo leading to it. I was running around like crazy scrambling to find anything I could and finally beat him with just a smidges of life left. A very frustrating ordeal yet it was the most satisfying boss battle in TLOU series. Talk about intense considering its atmosphere. Flame thrower is your friend here. Lol

#105 noize, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. trigun333

trigun333 Member

Amazing game. I finished at 2:30 am today, luckily I work from home due to COVID-19.

The gameplay is fantastic and you have the ability the play to you're liking. My friend was watching the stream of my gameplay and saw how vastly different my approach was to his. The story put me through a roller coaster of emotions and left me emotionally drained.

I'm happy I kept away from the leaked spoiler. I feel as though this is something you have to experience not so much have told to you through word of mouth. I honestly don't get the hate on this game, especially when people are calling out the forced SJW because I didn't feel that. I understand that people are upset about what happens to certain characters but at the same time, look at the world you are living in. I can't go more into detail without spoiling it, maybe when the game is a little older I'll post more details. The biggest difference for me right now is after part one I didn't need or want a sequel, after part 2 I want a part 3.

Highly recommended game, if you like part one you will enjoy this sequel.

RohanRider1 likes this.
  7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Holy ****. Was epic. Mind****. Am I team Abby or team ellie. Still don't know

#107 Nice Rollin, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    RohanRider1 likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I still would have enjoyed the game even if Levi was a runaway patriot fleeing an island of flag burners .

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Caution wouldn't be giving your backstory to someone you met. No sane person would think merely saying your first name is Joel, a common one, is something to be cautious of. It just pedantic nitpicking.

What's funny is this one of the most pressed points for an example of "bad writing" which makes me believe that it's just a bunch of kids regurgitating what they heard as they can't form their own opinions. Because if you are going to make an argument that the game has bad writing, you'll give the most egregious examples to drive your argument home.

Best picture nominations have a plethora of far more egregious plot holes even though I don't think this was a plot hole as there was a implicit trust initially due to Abby teaming up and helping Joel and providing shelter.

This is absurd levels of nitpicking just to justify your preconceived narrative that the story sucks because you were butthurt about the leaks.

10. trigun333

trigun333 Member

Honestly knew it was only a matter of time before people could do stuff like this.

11. Aware

Aware Member

i think im about halfway done or a bit over and really its an ok game.
    dont see the reasons why it got so much ****. it still pretty much plays, feels, looks like the first one.

its aight/10

12. noize

noize Contributing Member

The reason fans s*** on this game is for 3 reason.

1. A certain character died at the beginning
    2. You play a certain character half way into the game that has more muscle then you.
    3. The ending is unsatisfactory.

Me personally only have issue with number 3. Otherwise I thought it was a great game and an improvement over the first.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Finally finished the game after playing through it the last several weeks. This is one of those rare experiences, whether it be a book or a movie or a game, that resonates with you days and maybe even weeks after you finish it. It hits you to your core. This whole franchise, from Part 1 to Left Behind and now part 2, have done just that.

I didn't look at the spoilers, I never like to. And I prepared myself for this journey by playing the remastered version of the first game and then Left Behind, which I had yet to do. I knew the game was getting review bombed, knew it was polarizing, but not why, and I simply went in with an open-mind. I absolutely loved this game. Everything about it, from the gameplay to the graphics to the characters and story, is a step forward from the first game.

The locations are so richly detailed and fully realized that I found myself stopping pretty often to just admire the landscape. The gameplay was so diverse. You had a semi open world to explore in downtown Seattle followed by linear, but still slightly open pathways much like the first game. Ellie's gameplay felt weighted more toward stealth (aside from the end) and Abby's toward action. The short, but intense driving sequences. The small little details in figuring out where to toss a rope to get to a locked room or escape a building. And the exploration that I loved in the first is still there in spades. Understanding what happened to the people in Seattle is just as gratifying as the main story.

And yes the story, the characters. Just incredible. Naughty Dog said they wouldn't make a sequel unless they had a good idea. So why would we expect to follow a similar story-line as the first game. The whole series explores the cycle of violence, the cost of vengeance and the sacrifices you make, the things you lose, along that path. Part 2 very traumatically pushed that narrative forward and brought Ellie's character arc to a fitting conclusion.

1. I anticipated Joel dying early, especially when you take over as Abby in the beginning. It was a gut punch, but not at all shocking. The consequences of his actions at the hospital come to bear. If we were to simply play as Joel and Ellie again it would more than likely feel like a re-tread.
    2. I did not expect to play as another character for half the game. That threw me for a loop and I didn't initially like being pulled away from Ellie's perspective. But it was a thoughtful shift. The Wolves and Scarves are not the same groups we encounter in the first game. This world is not binary. Even in Part I, I questioned at times the violent acts you were committing, even though they were completely warranted. Here though, the Wolves and Scars maybe have good intentions at heart but do monstrous things. And same for Abby. Now I found myself hoping her story-line would quickly lead back to Ellie. I hated having to play her cause she's supposed to be the villain. But, eventually I became sympathetic. Not enough that I cared for her character on the same level as Joel and Ellie, but enough to understand her viewpoint.
    3. The ending. I probably would have been perfectly happy had the game nixed Abby's story, Ellie kills her and settles down with Dina on the farm. That's that. But that is certainly a safe route to take. The false ending you get where she enjoys an idyllic life on the farm only to succumb to her feelings of unfinished vengeance; that she feels she cannot truly find peace until she kills Abby. Then you get that opportunity but she reclaims herself and her humanity by showing mercy when Joel could not. That she could be better than he was. That's the redemption she needed for the raging path she set out on at the beginning of the story. And then to come to find Dina and JJ gone was absolutely heartbreaking. She couldn't even play her guitar. The things she lost were immense. But by leaving the guitar and leaving the farm, and coupled with that final flashback, she was able to put Joel behind her and finally get some closure, both in his betrayal of her and her quest for blood. And in that, she can move forward with her life, and I would hope be able to reconcile with Dina. I kinda see the fact that she broke the cycle of violence and saved herself from that path, that she gave herself a chance at a new start with them.

And that's probably the one complaint that I have. I understand the ending completely, and I do feel it fits. But I would have liked to have seen her find happiness in the end. She had lost so much that she deserves to at least have the family she started with Dina and JJ. Interesting theory out there speculates that she did find and reconcile with Dina and returned to the farm to essentially bury the past for good. I would have liked to explore that better than the more ambiguous end of her leaving the farm on her own. We do see a more hopeful end for Abby and Lev with the boat on the beach and the Firefly base in the distance. Would have liked that for Ellie.

It was just such a powerful game, as is the whole series. I almost hope we don't get a third entry. I would like to see a more definitive resolution to Ellie's character, but I'm also fine leaving here there and to speculate. I wouldn't mind playing as Abby in some DLC perhaps but I don't care enough about her character to be the main character. I definitely plan on returning to the game at some point, but it's gonna be awhile. This was a brutal journey.

fchowd0311, boomboom and RC Cola like this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Thanks! Though I may need to amend it a little after replaying the epilogue and discovering the last journal entries and then reading this from Screenrant:

Epilogue

Makes the end that much more touching, and maybe a little less heartbreaking.