1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS4] Destiny

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wakko67, Jul 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

I'll need one. Which system is it for?

1 person likes this.
  2. bmthint

bmthint Member

Would be interested if another is available!

3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I got one for each system. I'll send them after watching ath and pti.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Code sent via rep.

1 person likes this.
  5. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

Thank you, good sir!

6. mikennite

mikennite Member

Add me on psn? mikennite

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Since I no longer have a PS3 or PS4 to play and won't get my replacements for another month or 2, I have a beta code for each system to give out if anyone is interested.

Voucher Code for PS4: 7QQ6-3HN8-B6EQ
    Voucher Code for PS3: T8AK-M9N4-JDCA

I am jealous of all of you btw...ha.

2 people like this.
  8. bmthint

bmthint Member

Cheers Ben! my psn is sillky__johnson (two underscores, two l's) if anyone wants to play

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Very welcome

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I just saw on slickdeals that Bungie is making the Destiny beta available to all PS3 and PS4 folks that have Playstation Plus. The same goes with all Xbox 360 and One folks that have Live.

And to think, all that rep I gave away, haha! Thanks again fellas!

11. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Thanks, I used the PS3 code. If I like the game well enough, I will probably just go ahead and finally buy a PS4 (it was never a question of "if" for me, but "when").

12. AtheistPreacher

Hmm... well, I hate to be a debbie downer after redeeming someone else's code (although apparently codes are no longer needed, the beta is open to everyone with PS+ or Gold), but I've played this game for about four hours now, and I just ain't seein' it. Seems like a really generic shooter to me, nothing really all that special about it. And the loot system is disappointingly thin... loot doesn't actually have interesting/game-changing effects, just little boosts to amount of ammo or reduced cooldowns.

Are there people who like this game who'd explain to me what they think is so great about it? :confused: I don't even think the weapons feel all that good. Mostly this game just makes me want to go play Borderlands instead.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think I'll play this even when the story is over...Borderlands I was done instantly
    It's just not your cup of tea. I think it's the best shooter available right now. Although Titanfall multiplayer will definitely give it a run. I haven't played enough of the crucible to judge.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You may be right. But I think you have only seen maybe 5-8% of the capacity of the power a character can have. And you will be able to have some pretty highly custom and complex characters.

As of right now the character classes are rather similar but I think that will change quite a lot.

15. AtheistPreacher

The main conceit seems to be that it's a shooter with some MMO elements... like the fact that there are shared/hub areas that break into individuals instances for story missions and the like. That combination certainly seems fairly original. And then there's the multi-colored loot and class upgrades.

But as I've said, even looking at some of the available purple loot in stores, none of it seems to actually do anything interesting. As for character customization, there may well be a lot, but the demo showed off none of it. There was never even a choice to pick power A or power B. When you leveled up, it just told you a new power was available, and you went and clicked on it. Um... okay... why not just give it to me if there's only one choice?

To me it seems like this game is trying to do so many things that it ends up doing none of them all that well. It has an impressive feature list, but it all comes off just feeling really bland. It doesn't seem to really have much identity or personality.

I found this article from back at the end of April, and after playing a 45-minute demo of the game, the critic had this to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minutes-of-destiny-and-it-was-kind-of-bori-1568127899
    I kept trying to figure out where Destiny fit. What is Destiny's spirit, its identity? The only thing I can seem to come up with is "sci-fi," which isn't really an identity at all. Destiny doesn't match the exhilaration that comes with playing with titans in Titanfall. It doesn't match the adrenaline rush high of Call of Duty. It doesn't have the same sort of memorable spirit as Borderlands. It doesn't have the sort of addicting loot that characterizes Diablo. It doesn't carry the same sort of intrigue that comes with investigating a collapsed society, like in Fallout—there was some story attached to the strike missions I played, but it was forgettable. Destiny doesn't have the interesting sci-fi politics of Mass Effect. Based on what I've played—which, again, is but a small sliver of the overall game—Destiny almost seems like the off-brand version of Halo, if Halo had more MMO-ish elements. That will still sound exciting to some of you, I'm sure.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pretty much where I'm at with this game. I'm sure it's possible that getting to be a higher-level character and having access to neater gear could make the game interesting, but I'm skeptical. The skill trees don't look all that interesting, the gear doesn't look all that interesting, and I don't think the dev would release a beta that they thought would bore everyone... meaning they have to be thinking that what's already here for us to see is impressive enough to get people excited for the game. But for me it's really kinda nowhere. Disappointing. I was probably going to just go ahead and finally buy a PS4 if I liked this game, but now it looks like I'm just going to keep waiting until there are actually enough games for the system that I want.

16. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Shoot. I just really enjoyed the gameplay.

17. AtheistPreacher

Hey, everybody's different! I also didn't care much for Halo, if that tells you anything. And there are certainly games I love that others hate. This one just doesn't look like it's for me.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

There's your problem, you didn't like Halo. You definitely won't like Destiny if you can't at least tolerate Halo. The gunplay and AI mechanics are distinctly Halo (among other things).

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So are we starting a different thread for the xbox Destiny or nah?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't know what makes it so good but I keep wanting to play it. Halo is by far my favorite FPS series so that's a big part of it. I'm excited to see what kind of power you get as you level up.

Are the graphics any different on ps4 vs xbox one? I'd love to justify getting a ps4 for another reason other then MLB the show, but doesn't seem like any sony exclusives are coming out anytime soon either.