1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 got the YLOD...(60 GB)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ThaShark316_28, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ThaShark316_28

Any suggestions?

Also, I have a game stuck in there and tried the hold the eject button trick...

I know calling Sony is obvious, but anyone have any good suggestions other than that?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I honestly would not mess with the PS3.

Just wait 2 days (assuming Sony Corp. does not work Sat/Sun). Get it fixed then.

In the mean time, survive without games?

3. ThaShark316_28

Trust me, it wouldn't be the 1st time...but these are times where I'm glad I'm not a fanboy...still have my 360 and wii.

4. Poloshirtbandit

there are some fix it yourself videos on Youtube. I'm not sure how well they work.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I also have the YLOD of death on my 40 GB. I started a thread about it a few weeks ago but haven't done anything to try to get it fixed yet. No way I'm sending $150 to Sony to fix it.

I was looking on ebay and there are several sellers that offer YLOD repair services, some of them with warrantys and at much cheaper rates than Sony. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I can't remember the names of those services online, but I do remember that they offer a 90 day warranty. Purely anecdotal but there are people who have had to do this (either diy fix or get it serviced) several times as the months go on; so it may not be a permanent fix but seems to be repeatedly fixable.

Something about the solder they use or thermal compound becoming unseated. If you're out of sony warranty you probably are best off not sending it in for 150. There is a possibility of them just sending you a refurb newer model (i.e. losing your valuable 60gb).

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I got the YLOD before on my 80g fatty....opened it up and there was dust caked up in there that had been gathering for years.

Cleaned it and it worked for about a month....then died again.

Now I have the 250g slim....and it's awesome.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This just happened to me a couple days ago. It happened after I did a firmware update.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Mine died like that once and I found a guy on Craig's List that fixed it in a couple of days for like $50. Its been cool since, but he told me he would fix it for free if it happened in the 60 days afterward.

10. Poloshirtbandit

I sent my 60 GB in and they sent me another one refurb. This was about a year ago so no idea if they still do that.

I also lost my game saves. Even if you keep the hard drive, you'll have to reformat the hard drive once you put it in a new system.

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I had the same problem you had a couple months ago. Just send it to Sony. IT cost me 150 cause my warranty ran out. It takes them about a week to get if fixed.