1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wakko67, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Just picked the game up at a midnight release. Probably the most nerdy thing I've done. Its at least in the running. In my defense, I just got out of work. Anyway I digress.

Anybody else scoop this one up? I know RC's Feb/March video game thread has some discussion on it. So far its not too bad. The graphics look great, but I think I expected more. Maybe its just the years of waiting.

I don't really like the Snow character either. He seems cliched. Like a mix between Wakka and Tidus from FFX. I wish Sazh would've had that role as opposed to the cowardly pest. Hoping he turns out into an easier to like character. The first black character I can recall seeing in the series and he's Jar Jar light. Sorry to flirt with D&D territory, just an observation.

Also so far the combat is cool, but I'm sure it'll get far more complicated. Right now, as basic as it is, there seems to be a lot going on for even the simple commands.

Those are my early thoughts on the game. What about y'all?

2. SunsRocketsfan

that is pretty geeky of you. The game looks like a good game.. Graphics look awesome. I agree with some reviews that it's getting a bit old and that the first 80% of the game is completely linear. Im more excited about GOWIII

3. Wakko67

Don't get me wrong, I love FF, but next week I'm all about Kratos. I will take a break from XIII until I have my vengeance. From the early reviews I've seen, they're saying GOWIII is actually exceeding the expectations! I can't wait, thats another thread though. ;)

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I'm a CAG...so I'm waiting for TRU to open before I pick it up. $10 off $50 coupon + $13 gift card and $20 off another game = $90 for two $60 games and I'll still have the $13 gift card...probably use it for the guide.

Btw, is there an install option? If there is, how long is it?

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

When is GOW3 coming out? :confused:

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Barrett (FF7) is the earliest one that I can recall, although there have been Asian characters before that (i.e. Yang - FF4).

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I haven't been that enthused about FF13 since reading all the reviews talking about how absurdly linear it is... no side-questing to speak of, and no towns or non-story dialogue.

I'll wait to pick it up used, because if it IS that linear, I figure a ton of people will sell it back quickly.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't really get hyped up for games anymore. But I did preorder this. Will likely arrive by mail tomorrow(I live in Beijing so they have to ship it from Hong Kong). Just too much of a fan of the franchise.

Although I must admit, this is my first FF game where I know literally nothing about the game. I think I've seen one promo video that didn't really say anything. So I'm actually going into this blind. Very psyched up about that.

9. Dei

Dei Member

FFXII is better. That's how bad XIII is.

10. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

will they do a remake for FF 7??

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Oh, so you've completed XIII already?

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

What does 13 lack comparing to other FF games?

13. Depressio

I picked it up at midnight, but got really sleepy shortly there after so I only played about 20 minutes. I like the fast-and-furious battle system so far, even though I can hardly do anything with just Lightning and Sazh. Once it expands into more abilities and queuing up more actions, I can see it really being quite fun, more so than XII's system.

It seems like an expansion on XII's system with your other characters doing AI-generated actions, except now it's based on a given paradigm. The possibilities are pretty intriguing, to say the least.

14. Depressio

The biggest hack I've read about it is the linearity in the story. Apparently there's really only one area you can freely explore and the rest is just a series of chapters/levels to knock down. I don't really mind linearity, to be honest; Final Fantasy X was very linear.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Never really understood the fascination with non-linear gameplay for JRPGs. There are tons of western RPGs that give you such things in spades. If you want to create your own journey, you play Oblivion or Dragon Age. It's a given with Japanese RPGs that you'll be restricted to a single storyline for the entire game. As long as that one story is really awesome, who cares if you can't make your own decisions?

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Do you think it's nerdy because of the genre? I don't think those that picked up MW2 or will pick up God of War 3 at midnight will consider it nerdy. It's a far cry from the old days of spending one's nights D&Ding with other pasty kids taking turns for some alone time with a Farrah Fawcett poster.

Anyways I hope this game doesn't have stupid missable crap like 12 did and how opening a random chest in the beginning screws you out of one of the strongest weapons later on.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Picked it up this morning on my way to work. Not sure how much I'll get to play it until after tax season.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why you gotta put PS3 in the thread title when it's out on both consoles?

19. Wakko67

Yeah I think it may be mostly for the genre. I would feel some nerd level waiting for a game at all, but really wouldn't feel it too much for GOWIII.

I thought about it briefly, but figured it wouldn't prevent people from discussing. Plus it seemed to make more sense than putting [Game]. Lastly its not the first time someone did it.

KingLeoric - The other thing its missing is no towns. That really bugs me. I always enjoyed checking out towns and the different feel each one had.

The non-linearity is a little bit of a bug. FFIX was great in the way you could explore and side stuff you could do. Even FFXII was cool to explore. I do realize X was mostly linear, but there were still sidequests along the path. A few actually. From what I understand there is nothing like that in this one until you get about 25 hours in.

fadeaway - Yeah I forgot about Barrett. He was solid.

20. Depressio

See, this is where I differ. I don't like towns. Towns, to me, were merely a vessel to buy new equipment and maybe rest in the inn. If save points allow me to do all of that, it's more streamlined and I waste less time wandering about in a town or talking to some people whose story I don't care about at all.

Most of the sidequests in 10 were later in the game, too (though it was a long time ago, so my memory escapes me). 9 was just bad as far as story goes, and I'd take a better story if it forced the game to be linear over that crap. 12 was a quality game (contrary to popular opinion) that was pretty non-linear, so I have no dispute there.

All things aside though, if non-linearity must be sacrificed for a better story, I am all for it. One of my favorite games is Xenogears, and I think we all know how that second disc panned out as far as gameplay is concerned.