1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prosecutor calls judge's trial date ruling 'obscene'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/1209/1474401.html

DETROIT -- Sacramento Kings star Chris Webber's federal perjury trial can wait until after the NBA season ends, a federal judge ruled.

Webber, father Mayce Webber Jr. and aunt Charlene Johnson are charged with obstruction of justice and perjury. They are accused of lying to a federal grand jury about their dealings with ex-University of Michigan basketball booster Eddie Martin.

Martin says he gave $616,000 to Webber and four other Wolverines players while they were amateurs. Martin, who pleaded guilty to illegal gambling, said he gave Webber and his family $280,000.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Nancy G. Edmunds set the Webber family's trial for July 8.

Edmunds initially suggested the trial be held in May or June, before agreeing to a request from Webber's lawyer, Steven Fishman, to set it after the NBA playoffs end in June.

"There is no reason I can think of,'' said Fishman, to hold the trial in the middle of the season. He said that would be a hardship on the NBA, the Sacramento Kings and their fans.

A federal prosecutor strongly objected to the delay.

"Frankly, it is obscene,'' Assistant U.S. Attorney Richard Convertino said. He said Martin's age of 68 could present a problem and said a delay might indefinitely postpone the trial.

Edmunds said the court often agrees to work around the schedule of "seasonal'' employees, like Webber.

"I'm surprised you would use the word obscene,'' Edmunds replied. "We accommodate people, in the court, for all kinds of reasons ... and we would be hard-pressed to hold this trial before July.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that is what I call a huge leniency!!

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Reminds me of that idiot judge who sentenced a Diamondback (or Rockie) reliever to jail for putting a gun to his wife's head. He only had to serve the time during the offseason though. :mad:

3. drapg

drapg Member

Since he's the anchor of my fantasy team (and I took a risk drafting him knowing these events may come to light during the season), I'm happy with the decision.

Of course as a citizen of this great land and a sports fan in general, I'm appalled.