1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props to McHale and coaching staff for making the adjustments tonight.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Apr 26, 2014.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

We made some key line-up changes which ultimately gave us the win. I hope the staff continues to realize that what works for one game, may not work for another and that they can keep making these adjustments. I don't expect T-Jones not to start if we move on to a different series. I don't expect Troy Daniels to get a lot of time from now on but if we throw different line-ups and offenses/defenses at Portland then we have a good chance of winning. Of course we have a certain consistent brand of Rockets basketball we play and for the most part, we win games. But each game has its own intricacies; it really is like playing chess.

I hope the staff can realize this key realization and continue to carry this key realization throughout the playoffs. Game 1 was winnable and Game 2 got away from us because of our lack of adjustments.

2. torocan

torocan Member

Was glad they started with Asik on LMA. Putting Daniels in was really nice since our other wings can't hit a bucket.

Also going with a higher scoring line up was a good move. Lin + Harden + Bev is still one of our best line ups by far in terms of creating space and forcing tough defensive switches.

PnR defense was better, though help defense rotations are still dodgy. Was nice to see Harden put in more effort on defense. He still needs work on his positioning, but at least he was trying to defend.

Was also glad to see Dwight being used more organically within the defense.

So solid job by the coaching team.

3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

hhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

This is a joke right?

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

Mchale made adjustments based on Portland's lineup. They went small so Mchale had no choice to follow. I wouldn't give too much credit to Mchale.

5. haydenfisher342

6. torocan

torocan Member

I give him credit in that it wasn't a complete wreck, which is a big step up from the first 2 games. At least we were scoring even if we still have a tough time containing Portland's offense.

That said, they're an Elite offense, so it's not like we're the only team in the NBA that has trouble containing them.

7. haydenfisher342

8. haydenfisher342

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

Better late than never? McHale is a little... slow...

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

mchale took 2 games to make the adjustments which we all had been yelling for, but thank you for finally starting with TT. Another problem I see is portland is going to go small and play LMA at center which takes Howard out of the paint. We'll really need team defense and the whole team to crash for the rebounds. Those 2 lillard drives on harden was too easy and Lin need to help out a lot harder and faster.

11. AFS

AFS Member

Not sure he was really following them. McHale put Daniels in for Parsons (in Daniels' first minutes on the floor) while Blazers still had Lillard Mathews and Batum in the game. We went small first. Of course, Daniels didn't really have a shot at guarding Batum.

12. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

What's up with LMA getting wide open looks in the 4th? There were couple of plays. I couldn't believe it. One simple rotation the guy was open. Is Dwight too lazy to come out

13. dxdx

dxdx Member

Uh, we won by sheer luck off a broken play at the end. Pretty sure it wasn't designed for Troy to have the ball and take that clutch shot.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Maybe that is what it is...slow on the uptake...b/c i truly cant believe he trusted a rookie in crunch time moments of a playoff basketball game...

Regardless of what happens, the Rockets need to find a way to incorporate Daniels shooting touch more effectively.

I vote for having him in a rotation that includes Harden, Lin, Asik, Parsons/or TJones

Or in situational moments with Bev, Parsons, Harden, and Howard

Our 4 guard lineup was supposed to be torched...and stots over thought it...they were so successful with the pick and roll pulling howard to the arc and having an explosive PG attack the rim. Thought they went away from that down the stretch.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

We still looked like **** in the 4th quarter, and OT, with our Harden iso. We still gave up open jumper after open jumper to LMA. Difference is less of T-Jones, more of Asik, and another guy in the rotation--that being Daniels.

Those are some moves he made, credit to him. However, the main issues aren't addressed:

1) Defense
    2) Late-game offensive execution.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Yep, still a lot work needs to be done on the defensive end. I just never felt confident in our team getting stops. The game never felt like it was in our hands defensively.

17. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Troy wasn't designed to have the ball at the end but the fact that McHale had trust in him and actually put him in the game to be able to shoot the ball specifically for late game situations like tonight in which there will most likely be a double team on Harden or Howard or perhaps a broken play like tonight.

Yes, Parsons fouled out and as a result, Daniels was subbed in but McHale could have chosen someone else to sub in.

At the end of the day, the decision paid off and I'm happy to see McHale at least change things up a bit.

18. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I've always been for the TT, although I admit that it didn't work early. But I always thought it would take time to figure out.

I think one huge adjustment that has to be made is when Dwight helps on the PnR defense with Lillard and LA. He is hedging way too long and leaving LA actually wide open for an easy 18-20 footer. If he does that alot next game, expect LA to go for 40 again.

Also, please don't have Howard be the man that doubles LA when Asik is on him. Have ANYONE else come to double team him, but do it fast and not once he has already starting going into his shooting motion.

Harden should focus on giving up the jump shot and never letting his man take him to the hole. I would rather Matthews, Batum or Lillard shoot over him that beat him to the hole consistently. He should give up a step and invite them to shot over him if he has no help defense there.

And lastly, for the LOVE OF GOD, please, pretty please stop fouling so many jump shooters. Put your hands in their face ala Battier style and stop jumping into them and giving up free throws. On the contrary, once you are beat going to the hole, foul hard and grab the man to not even let them get a shot up.

I hope McHale can make these defensive adjustments. I doubt it, but I'm praying.

19. archinkent

archinkent Member

Portland had Williams in instead of Lopez and Mchale followed. We couldn't use our best lineup with Asik/Howard due to that.

20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Every game has been close and the Asik switch was pretty much started in game 2. The Daniels move was inspired though. But to still leave Aldridge not even one on one but completely open on the pick and rolls is unacceptable. If he was shooting like he was in the first two games we are down 3-0. Still baffling that we are leaving him open.