1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props for Texas State Football....

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Hakeem06, Nov 19, 2005.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, there were some rumblings about this for Sam Houston last year too. The team has a great season and they start to think they can hang with the D1 schools.

In the 3 years before this one, Texas State was 5-5 twice and 4-8 the other time. Other sports haven't been truly dominant either. For either of these teams, I think you have to dominate 1-AA for a while before you even think about moving up. Of course recruiting would improve as a 1-A school, but it would still be a pretty long while before really competiting. Plus, I prefer being able to compete in a playoff system anyway.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I hear they might draw the Houston Texans in the playoffs...

3. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

the only thing right now that is holding texas state back from being a d1 football program is the stadium. d1 stadiums have to hold at least 30,000, our holds around 15,000. winning really has nothing to do with it, it's all about the type of money you can generate. texas state has over 25,000 students and with a 30,000 seat stadium that would show the ability to make money on a weekly basis, that's the key for becoming a d1 school......money. hence the bcs, and the bowl system :D

and the matchup with Ga. Southern is really tough. they've been absoulutely dominant over the past decade. 7 conference championships, 4 national titles...and of course 6 national titles at the d1-AA level. however, their defense isn't very good and we should be able to score points if we take care of the football. i'll be there saturday, it should be great.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Congrats to TxSt. Good luck in the playoffs.

Sincerely,
    The School Down the Road.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How hard do you think it will be to get tickets?

Too bad the Texans had to mess up any otherwise pretty badass football season for me. Katy, TUFKASWT, and the Horns have more than made up for it!

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Really? TCU only has 6,000 students. And it shows at the Stadium. Unless its a big game, half the stadium is normaly pretty empty.

The students section of the statdium is always full and loud, but there's still that majority of the stadium that's not.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Remove "hear they might draw" and replace it with "know they would beat." ;)

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

number to call: 512-245-2272

they aren't very expensive. students are only $5 and the others i believe are no more than $20.

and if you can't get tickets, the game is being shown nationally on ESPN2, 2:30 PM.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah tell me about it... Rice has 2,800 undergrads, about 30,000 living alumni, and a stadium that holds 70,000.

of course having the one of the worst teams in America might also contribute to our attendance figures...

10. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but TCU has a big enough stadium and it's in the dallas metroplex area and the ncaa believes they can draw enough revenue, and probably do just enough. students doesn't always matter if the area it's in has a lot of people because the general public makes a lot of money for the school too. it's really complicated but i work at the paper for Texas State writing sports and i know we've talked to people at the university about moving up to D1 and they've said that a new stadium is a must along with increased media coverage over the next couple of years.

11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

they did sell out last weeks game but i bet it wont be this week due to people goin home for thanksgiving. i was givin a couple of players in my spanish class props today in class and told them to represent