1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props for Pence [Stark's insider]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Mar 27, 2007.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And I'd rather have Pence playing every day.

2. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Biggio almost always strikes out on low-and-away sliders in late/close situations. I just can't see him suddenly being able to get key basehits.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you don't take a guy who is still developing...who has the potential of a pence...and put him on a bench to get scrap at bats at spot starts. he needs to be seeing lots of at bats every single day.

and jason lane is probably my least favorite astro of all time.

4. MadMax

yeah. 2,930 hits, and not one of them was key.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Remember that bomb he hit against the Phillies and Wagner late in the year a couple seasons ago? I love Biggio.

6. MadMax

that was a gigantic game.

he hit a GW HR against the Braves in a big weekend game back in the Dome days that i remember well.

he had some big hits vs. the Braves in the 2004 NLDS.

and he will be one of less than 30 people to EVER hit 3,000 hits. the names of the guys who are in the HOF who DID NOT get to 3,000 hits are legendary. if Biggio were playing in NY or CHI, his name would be treated differently. the guys is the absolute consumate pro. i'm going to miss seeing him after this season. he's been an astro since i was about 12 years old.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

that was considered by many the turning point of that season...i remember it making me feel like we were destined for good things that year

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Here here ... and it is not even close.

I am going to go absolutely crazy this year if Garner uses him in more than just the occasional at bat or spot start. I actually don't mind putting him up to bat in a situation where you HAVE TO GET a HR because basically he is an all or nothing hitter, and usually its nothing.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Just about every great player has a weakness and that is obviously his. If he did not have that weakness, he would easily be the best 2B ever in my mind. One weakness does not take away 3K hits, MANY of which were absolutely clutch.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mine would be Jim Clancy. To no fault of his own, he was set up to be Nolan Ryan's replacement in the rotation.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, in the last few days we've had someone question Bagwell and Biggio's clutchness...we're talking about 2 hall of famers...2 players that made the Astros who they are today. Unbelievable.

While we're on the topic, Hakeem sucked in the playoffs. If only he was more clutch and didnt miss a free throw during 4th quarters of playoff games. What a shame...

12. Buck Turgidson

Chris Holt.

There is no other correct answer.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

STEVE HOLT!

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think we would all love the Astros 4th or 5th starter to duplicate Holt's 200 IP and 3.5 ERA from 1997. He was the anti-Jeroime Robertson.

15. Buck Turgidson

That was one year...just a tease. Made it that much worse!

He was no Big Chief Garcia, I'll tell ya that.

He had an arm, he had good stuff, he coulda been Jeff Suppan or any number of longtime pitchers. He had no gumption, or balls, or whatever you wanna call it. Couldn't pitch out of a jam, folded like a lawnchair. The pre-redding. Hopefully not the pre-wandy.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Playing for the Express last night, Pence hit a double off the center field wall (400 ft) off Jennings, then blasted a 2 run homer later off Lidge.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should be starting in the majors. :mad:

18. tested911

tested911 Member

Exactly, seems like the only way he was going start this year is if he hit a Home run every single time at bat.... :eek:

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What if Pence is absolutely tearing up the PCL, leaving the Astros with no choice but to bring him up? Do they entertain offers for Burke? If so, who replaces him to replace Biggio? Brooks Conrad? Anyone else in the organization? Could they possibly get a SP for Burke? Or, do they look to move Luke Scott and play Pence in RF?

I just have a feeling that Pence's spring, while he isn't going to hit .571, is no fluke. I think the kid is ready and they won't be able to keep him there for too long.

20. MadMax

you don't give up your future starting 2B when veteran 2B is 70 hits away from taking a signficantly reduced role and is playing in his last season. burke has done enough to earn a spot.

i agree...i don't think pence is a fluke. he'll get his turn. someone will get injured and he'll find a way in.