1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Props for Pence [Stark's insider]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Pence isnt on the major league roster so someone needs to get sent down first. It doesnt matter what Biggio does...

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Terrible post. I certainly watched, and I definitely wanted him up. Who'd you hope for? Derek Bell?

edit: And I think some stats, like the ones presented by Buck, are meant exactly for this purpose. To tell people who are relying on emotional game-viewings that things aren't exactly as they perceived them

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Biggio, Carl Everrett, Cami, Finley, Gonzo, Spires, Kent, Beltran, Berkman to name a few

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Base hit against (I can't remember) in 2005 stretch run just after he came back to win a game.

Please tell me when it was that a hr, walk, or rbi in the first 7 innings of a game became more important than in the 8th or 9th? Regardless, please tell me when Bagwell failed to come through for the Houston Astros. You can't. Just as you said, stats don't matter all the time so just leave the postseason stats out of it.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I'm not talking postseason stats and the reason you remember 2005 so well is because he has so few walk off or 9th inning go ahead hits etc. etc.

I have watched so many times Bagwell fail in crunch time. Now I was watching the Astros every night and not other teams but seriously I can't think of a player with great overall stats being so ineffective when it matters most.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ridiculous.

Bagwell had over 2,300 hits
    he had 449 HR's
    he had 1529 RBI's

are you seriously suggesting that none of those came at a time when the Astros needed them??

7. Major

Major Member

He probably failed about 65-75%, like every other player in baseball. You just had unrealistic expectations.

8. Buck Turgidson

Yes, that's exactly what he's doing. And yes it's ridiculous.

*Just Homeruns* he had 3 walkoffs, 9 in extra innings, and 195 that either tied the game or gave the Stros the lead. 289 of his HRs came with the Stros b/t 2 runs up & 2 runs down.

This, of course, is all meaningless to him. Because he remembers stuff. He saw it. That's golden.

**added** this is awesome. I just looked up his HR log. His FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE HOMERUN was a 2 run shot off Kent Mercker in the top of the 9th in a 1-1 game. He hit a couple of other later-inning game tying or go ahead bombs that year.

Ahahahahah...this gets better. His first HR of '92, down 5-3, bottom of the 9th, leadoff bomb off Norm Charlton. His 2nd HR of 1992...walk off 2 run shot off of Randy Myers in the 10th inning. His 3rd HR of 1992...down 4-3, top of the 8th, BOOOOOOOM. Next freaking AB...top 10th, 4-4 game, BOOOOOOM.

This is too funny.

I'll keep reading & laughing. Thanks guy.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you didn't watch the game, the HRs don't count, right?

Wandy for Cy Young!!!!

10. MadMax

do you mean 13 walkoffs?

11. Buck Turgidson

C'mon Max, think about that one.

Also, 9+3 no equal 13.

;)

12. Buck Turgidson

Dammit, I see what you're saying now. Was not a typo.

Nope 9 HRs in xtra innings.

He had 3 walkoffs, either bottom 9th or bottom Xth.

13. MadMax

i was just reading it wrong.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I want to see Pence over Jason Lane. I cant see another batting avg around .220-.240 from him again :eek:

15. MadMax

Jason Lane will be a bat off the bench. I don't want Pence wasting time as a bat off the bench. He needs to be seeing regular AB's in AAA if not at the major league level.

People keep trying to frame this as a Jason Lane issue. It's not. Lee-Burke-Scott is the starting outfield.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... and when Biggio gets 3,000 hits, and the offense is still in need of some pop (AND Pence is still tearing it up at AAA), Lane will be the one outrighted to make room on the 40 man roster.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I believe they currently have 3 open spots on the 40 man roster since Astacio and Jimmerson were removed. Also, Jimenez can be moved to the 60 day disabled list and free up a spot(if it hasn't been done already).

Rick White will almost certanly take one of those spots. Moehler is still a possibility.

18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, and I was reading your wrong reading wrong.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No one is doubting Biggio. It's quite possible that after he hits 3,000 that he would play mostly home games and split time with Burke when on the road. That'll open up a PT OF slot. They may bring up Pence and just shuffle their guys around the OF from day to day. Keep in mind the Astros have one of the most versatile lineups in baseball. Biggio is 40+ yo...40yo begin to break down weeks or months before the end of the season. If we're making a playoff push that's a helluva time to be breaking down. Bidge is going to need a lot of rest if he's to contribute later in the season. That's just reality.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I understand what your trying to say but I would rather have Pence in key pinch hitting at bats over Lane. Do you remember what happened when we had extra inning games? I remember Lane having more than 1 AB, which is obviously not a good thing.

Also, there will be days where Lee, Burke, and Scott will need days off. I have no clue if he could play center-field, but Im just sick of Jason Lane. I hope he can prove me wrong.