1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prop 1 vs. Prop 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 3, 2004.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2880760

If there is recent discussion on this already, I didn't find it. I'm not surprised that both passed. If you ask voters/customers if they'd like you to not charge so much, what would you think they'd say?

So now, I wonder: (1) Will Bill White win out in not implementing Prop 2? (2) Should he? (3) Do the Prop 2 folks have a case, or will the case get tossed? (4) If this does get fought in court, is it going to be a gigantic mess?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The city charter is pretty clear and White and his team went through a lot of legal discussions to ensure that the language was in conflict with Prop. 2. I think it will go to court, but I think the Mayor will get his way.

The Chron had a poll on it before the election and found that when those who were familiar with both overwhelmingly supported Prop 1 over 2, but the poll also showed that something like 60 percent of voters didn't really know or understand either.

Personally, I have a very hard time supporting anything Bruce Hotze or Barry Klein support in full force. Klein, in particular, has fought zoning, historic preservation and even argued that HISD should not receive a school tax increase when schools were suffereing serious infrastructure problems. He seriously said that if there were fire code violations in any schools, rather than fix the problems, we should petition the state to make the fire codes more lenient bringing schools into compliance without making any changes to them structurally.

Of course, two elementary schools had their rooves collapse (fortunately during the summer months) due to their age and weak structural problems, but whatever.

Hotze, for his part, was the one (along with his brother) that was so outraged by the city passing a equal rights for gays ordinance that he pushed a "striaght slate" of councilmen and judges with that as their main issue. He has also argued that the laws of the Bible should be implemented as the laws of the United States.

I just don't trust either of them to make rational decisions for the majority of Houstonians.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Prop 1 wins.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

which one did they support again?

Rocket River
    :(

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Prop 2