1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projected rotation and minutes distribution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Sep 7, 2013.

1. rogower

rogower Member

I'm interested in everybody else's take on what the rotation and minutes distribution looks like. I am making the following assumptions:

1 James Harden, Jeremy Lin, and Patrick Beverly form a three-man guard rotation, and two of the three will be on the floor at all times, unless one (or more) of them is injured, in serious foul trouble, or the game is a blowout.
    2 We'll see a twin towers Dwight Howard-Omer Asik lineup 12 minutes/game.
    3 Terrence Jones wins the starting PF job.
    4 We'll see a smallball lineup with Chandler Parsons at "power forward" 12 minutes/game.
    5 Daryl Morey does not make a big quantity-for-quality trade before the season starts (although I think we may see such a trade in January or February).

Starting lineup

PG Jeremy Lin 32 minutes/game
    SG James Harden 36 minutes/game
    SF Chandler Parsons 36 minutes/game
    PF Terrence Jones 24 minutes/game
    C Dwight Howard 32 minutes/game

Off the bench

Omer Asik 28 minutes/game
    Patrick Beverly 28 minutes/game
    Francisco Garcia 12 minutes/game
    Ronnie Brewer 12 minutes/game

I may as well flesh out my anticipated fifteen man roster.

Stashed in the d-league

Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington

Waived, for sure: Jordan Henriquez

That leaves four roster spots up for grabs for the following seven players:

Sonatas Motiejunas
    Greg Smith
    Marcus Camby
    Aaron Brooks
    Omri Casspi
    Reggie Williams
    B.J. Young

Only Motiejunas and Smith are eligible to be traded prior to final roster deadline day in late October, which is why I project both players to be traded for draft pick. Obviously neither player would be cut if they are not traded for picks. If both players are traded for picks then it appears to me that Williams and Young are competing for the final roster spot. If More is only able to trade one of Motiejunas and Smith (one but not both) then I think Williams and Young both get cut. If he isn't able to trade either one of them then I think Williams , Young, and Casspi all get cut.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

don't think cp averages 36 a game given we have all those wings. maybe 32

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's probably way too early for this. It's going to change again right before camp, then during camp, in pre season, etc..

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see they have convinced D-Mo's brother to join the team.
    Personally, i am so not a fan of Sonatas.

5. rogower

rogower Member

Stupid auto correct!

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think Motiejunas will get the nod over Jones. Especially considering the hobo stomp incident.

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Agree with OP mostly except swap out Bev for Lin as a starter. Bev brings the D and plays better with Harden.

8. King901

King901 Member

He wants the D

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Too many assumptions at this point to be able to accurately say what is even truly "likely." Lots of things will change durning training camp & preseason. There are so many possibilities with this roster, I can't begin to explain them all.

If I had to guess though, I would assume like past years, this Rockets team would carry on the tradition of going small more often than not. They certainly have the ability to go big, and bigger with the amount of bigs they have, but I have a feeling their most productive lineups will see Parsons at the 4 with Garcia or Casspi at the 3/4.

10. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Casspi and Camby are the two on that list that are all but guaranteed a roster spot. Smith and Brooks are much more likely to be cut.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I think it'll be around this, but this will be the go-to end of game lineup.

Dwight, Parsons, Someone as in Garcia or Brewer, Harden, and Lin.

I think Brewer is a very, very good pick up. He immeaditly becomes our best perimeter defender, but Garcia did his thing in the playoffs and is an excellent shooter, so it's difficult to see who gets it.

I think it'll be Lin/Bev/Harden in the backcourt. And Parsons, Garcia or Brewer or Casspi playing the 3. And Dmo, Parsons, TJones, Asik sharing the four, and then finally Dwight and Omer at the 5.

McHale has a lot at his disposal. The variables are DMo and TJones, how well they perform. That's what makes everything else fall in line.

12. rogower

rogower Member

I'd say there is close to a 0% chance that Greg Smith gets cut. He was pretty good last year, he's young, he's a big man. He has trade value. Why in the world would you cut a guy when you can trade him for a draft pick instead?

Re: Terrence Jones vs. Donatas Motiejunas: I agree that Motiejunas may wind up winning the starting PF spot, but I believe Jones is the more polished player, so I'm predicting that he's the starter. Also, if the Rockets don't trade one of these two guys prior to final roster deadline day, I can see the team experimenting with each player as the starter for the first 3+ months of the season and finally trading one of them prior to the February trade deadline, either straight up for a draft pick (more likely) or packaged with Jeremy Lin or Omer Asik (less likely) for a big upgrade at PF.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

agreed don't think anyone with majority of guaranteed salary gets outright cut

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well, I have to as usual disagree. But I do agree that the perfect PF for the Rockets would be Parsons at 245 pounds. He fits like a glove with the DDMO and Howard.

Howard and Asik will be on the floor together much less than 12 minutes together. They would be a sure fire way of stifling the offense, while providing a minimal boost to the defense. There are few driving lanes available when Howard's defender or Asik's defender or both are camped out around the paint.

We will have to see about TJ. His big news over the summer was stamping some homeless guy. D-Mo is spending his summer with his national team and earning more minutes and looking more impressive with each game. D-Mo has much more trade value than Jones, but I cannot see Morey dealing his most promising PF. The guy has true skills.

15. wise_man

wise_man Member

i think beverly should start over lin and d-mo should start over t-jones. with howard getting a lot of attention at the rim that will leave players like parsons,hardeen,beverly and d-mo open for three point shooting...lin is good, but beverly can defend and shoot way better then lin. t-jones is good ,but a 257 pound d-mo is ok playing under the basket ,but really good three point shooter.b

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lin(30),Beverley(18),Brooks(0)
    Harden(36),Garcia(12)
    Parsons(34),Brewer(10),Garcia(4),Casspi(0)
    Jones(18),Smith(12),Motiejunas(10),Howard(8)
    Howard(24),Asik(24)

Canaan, Camby on reserves.

17. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

I like this

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think this thread should have been titled, "As currently assembled. . . "

There could be 3+ new players on the roster before the season even begins. Morey will more than likely pull some sort of trade out of his hat prior to regular season. I doubt he is snoozing right now. Until his roster looks like. . . .

P.G. - Paul
    S.G. - Harden
    S.F. - Anthony
    P.F. - LeBron
    ..C. - Howard

. . . . Morey will not sleep.

19. autoprt

autoprt Member

sorry but this is too funny not to comment on.

20. khazii

khazii Member

I love sonatas in D.