1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#Progress: White to work out with member of Rockets staff at Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree. One big question I had from the start for him is "Where does an NBA career rank among his priorities?" Some guys simply want other things in life. Doesn't make them bad people-- in fact, it might make them more balanced and well-rounded than someone who (in JVG's words, describing Charles Oakley) is "only interested in basketball and chasing women." But this does make it harder for them to succeed in the NBA than a single-minded basketball maniac.

Kind of reminds me a story I heard back in the 1990s of a guy whose application was rejected by a police department because he tested too high on a standard IQ-type test. They said people who are too smart tend to get bored with cop work. NBA work, particularly NBA role player/grunt work, might be sort of like cop work in this regard.

Anyhow, lets see what happens. I am not holding out that much hope for White's success, because of his extra challenges and because the odds that a mid-first-round pick having a more-than-ordinary career in the NBA is fairly low anyway (as Morey said, every draft pick is a gamble and carries risks of failure in one form of another). But I do wish the best to Royce White and the team.

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

If you think he's athletic, you've never seen him in action.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement
    UPC = Uniform Player Contract

Basically, this means that whatever agreement is worked out between the Rockets and Royce White, it has to be approved by the NBA League Office first and that takes some time.

5. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I will never, ever root for him. He may be a member of the Rockets at some point and have my support indirectly, but I will always hope that we are able to move him to another team.

1 person likes this.
  6. Damion Laverne

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Man, this gets old. He hasn't done a thing in the NBA, but "he'd easily be our best player off the bench".:rolleyes:

9. rocketsmetalspd

I am hoping for the best and White can contribute something to the team.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes, I agree. They have 3.2 mil & a roster spot invested in the guy. That's not something to just take lightly.

However, NBA teams have dumped first round picks for much, much less. Royce caused a major circus. Look up how many articles where written about Royce White in the past 3 months.... then look at how many of them paint this situation in a positive notion.

There is no need to deny that this has made life for the front office, coaches, owner, teamates, and fans a complete nightmare. Les Alexander was addressing national media outlets for the all-star game, and instead of talking about how great it is for Houston to host this event, had to answer questions about Royce and his standoff with the team, and bad mouthing him as an owner publicly.

Very few players who even hinted at publicly attacking his team ever sniffed the court again with them. Even today.... the day where he is finally prepared to come back to work in some way, shape or form, he has still took to twitter to bash his team publicly with Tweets like this-

#AnxietyTroopers CLARIFICATION! The team DOCTORS approved/recommended the protocol, the TEAM did not... as weird as that may sound.

Really.... the team doctors recommended something and Morey stepped in and said... "no, no, no Royce... screw our doctors, Im in charge, and you WILL OBEY ME"??? I find it extremely hard to believe that Morey & the coaches would not comply with team doctors about a medical condition. What reason do they have not do comply?

Maybe Royce is right in all of this, and the "team" has been doing the world a disservice. That certainly does not excuse the way he has publicly created a circus out of this entire matter that should have been handled internally from the start.

-Especially when you look back at cases like Leon Smith in 2000 when he was taken in the first round, and was released just weeks into the season for having REAL Mental Illness Episodes in practice & the lockerooms. This was a player that was actually having episodes caused by his mental illness, and instead of seeking professional help, and letting him be treated, they just waived him.

-Look now more than a decade later at the Rockets. You now have a player who claimed himself to being in good mental health causing this much commotion and still having the team bend of over backwards to make it work. You cant tell me 20 or so of the 30 teams wouldn't have already dropped him by now.

Lets just hope this is it, and we can all just move on to basketball. Im not going to hold my breathe or anything, but the ball's in his court to make things right, and to just shut up and play basketball. Im glad there is progress now, but If I've learned anything about human nature in my years its that if something happens once, its surely bound to happen again. People can change over time, but they rarely change overnight.

1 person likes this.
  11. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Fantastic news!

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i hope you are kidding.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2RA954U_Q1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

white's prime will not come close to lamar's prime years.

13. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

He knows the world's going to end tomorrow... YOLO!

1 person likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Glad Royce is finally using some specifics to shed some light on the situation, but it doesn't explain the public bashing he gave the Rockets front office & coaches. If this was litigation that was held up by the CBA and the UPC, how were the Rockets being so unfair to Royce? What was the reasoning behind campaigning to make them out to be the evil bad guys here?

Also, all he had to do the entire time was to simply say something along the lines of "due to the litigation that is currently in motion, I cannot comment on specifics. I am hopeful to come to an agreement some time soon so I can return to the Rockets."

Bam, that's it. Case closed, and nobody would have looked bad, or got the blame here. If Royce claims to be a business entrepreneur of sorts, he might want to take a Business 101 course, and possibly a PR class because he sure likes to make himself and the people he surrounds himself with look terrible unnecessarily.

15. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Okay.

16. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

DECEMBER 21, 2012 was his Wake up call

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Does this dude have anxiety or is he just bipolar...WTH is going on?

18. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I'll be surprised if this guy ever becomes a part of a NBA rotation.

19. trowa2

trowa2 Member

looks like both. and a little addicted to twitter

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for posting CH. patience is a virtue. I hope the organization's patience will eventually pay off where Royce is concerned. Sounds like he finally found someone he can trust other than his doctor.