1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Procity Houston 2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BabyClutch, Jul 9, 2005.

1. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Heard this on 104.9. I put it in the GARM because they mentioned former and current Rockets.

www.procityhouston.com

We are a couple of days away from this year’s action with the Nike Pro-City Summer League at Fonde and are looking forward to this year. Last year the action was tremendous. From the super crossovers, to rim rocking dunks, to sweet jump shots. This year’s league will be even better. Our last year participants included, Sam Cassell, Cuttino Mobley, Rashard Lewis, Damon Jones, Ron Artest, Steve Francis, Moochie Norris, Reggie Evans, James Posey, Royal Ivey, Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudamire, Ansu Sesay, Mark Bryant, and Ndudi Ebi. This year the list will increase with names like Darius Miles, Rafer Alston, Drew Gooden, Anthony Goldwire, Josh Smith, Mo Williams, Emeka Okafor, and Eddie Griffin just to name a few. If you missed any of this action last year, please make plans to be there this year. It is going to be off the hook. As you know, the admission to all games is absolutely free. The season will start on July 11, 2005. A special congratulation goes out to Team Hank for winning the 2004 championship.

See you in July!!!!!!!

ok.. so what is this exactly? I thought it was like charity games but its free admission.

#1 BabyClutch, Jul 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  2. datsmrcb2u

datsmrcb2u Member

It's a Pro-Am summer league sponsored by Nike where all those NBA guys, college players, and local street legends play. I went to about all of the games last year. It's really good ball and they do some pretty good giveaways throughout the summer. All of the players are really accessible and friendly but some of the stars they have listed arent always there. Make sure you go to the playoffs because all of the guys they have listed on their site will definitely be there and they often bring their other NBA buddies with them to play.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

I posted this in the hangout and didnt get any responses. Anyway I was there last year and it was off the hook. Its full of NBA, college and overseas players and the competition is top notch. I was surprised when I found out it was free. If you get a chance you should go cause it's amazing. I wonder if TMac will make an appearance?

4. danielf

danielf Contributing Member

Whats the odds on Eddie Griffin being there?

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

He's already in Houston.......just depends on whether his jail time is up by then..... :D

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

I went last year..it was cool. Want to go again but don't know if I would.

7. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

why wouldnt you go?

8. Beenz

Beenz Contributing Member

Where is Fonde? How do you get there? And what time are the games?

9. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

im not going too, but i have a feeling people are gonna boo griffin

10. reddoglphie

reddoglphie Contributing Member

Look sweet. Anyone got directions and times?

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

Fonde is downtown and the games usually start at 6pm. As far as how you get there you might have to go to mapquest or something. Thats how I figured out how to get there.

12. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

They mention it in the new Sports Illustrated (with Jennie Finch on the cover)

SI's 25 Summer Essentials

[Hoop It]
    For leapers and gawkers alike, pickup basketball abounds in the summer from such hallowed venues as Rucker Park and West Fourth Street in New York City to Venice Beach in Los Angels. The best run of all is indoors at a Houston gym. Since 1960 the two air-conditioned courts at Fonde have been a haven for the top players in Texas. Fonde is where, in 1981, a raw college kid named Akeem Olajuwon honed his post moves against Moses Malone. "I went down in '95 and got to play against Dream," says Pistons forward and Texas Tech alum Darvin Ham. "Clyde [Drexler] played a little pickup, Rob Horry, Kenny Smith, Nick Van Exel, Stephon Marbury, Shaq. Regular pickup, dude!" Games happen from 11 a.m. to 1p.m., Monday through Thursday. The NBAers aren't the only VIPs. A local 6'3" guard named Dwayne Rogers has been a standout at Fonde for years; he's known as the Legend. Admission is free, and theoretically anyone can take the court, but as facility manager Earl Hammond says, "You better prove yourself first, and somebody better know you." Still, make the right friends and enough jumpers, and you could be saying "next" to Cuttino Mobley.

- Chris Ballard

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

That guy is sick. He never played anywhere of note to my knowledge but I could be wrong. He's one of those guys that could've easily played in the NBA.

14. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

last time i was in fonde was as a high school player in a national tournament and the place was hot as hell!!! no AC, players were cramping up all over the place, it was pretty bad maybe it's changed in the last 5 years but who knows. but that's just advice about whether you really want to go out to fonde and watch basketball.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont remember it being as bad as you described it. I guess they did upgrade the place if I didnt notice though.

16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

People don't really boo players at Fonde. The people who show up there are there for the basketball.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I'm going, tonight, gonna check it out. There's two games tonight, the first at 6:30 so we'll see. Does the place usually get packed. Should I get there early. I have never been. BTW - Schedule and teams are on website along with the address. I had to mapquest it, and it is about 10 minutes away.

18. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

nevermind ;)

#18 redgoose, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Just got back.......Saw Sam Cassell in the stands and he kept on walking around talking loud, talking mess.

Among the players playing was Damon Stoudamire, Jonanthon Bender, James Posey, Nick Van Exel, Mike James, Moochie Norris Ansu Seesay....probably others, just forgot for now. It was pretty cool, got to see two games. Not a lot of people. Drink were fifty cents. Got to see some nasty dunks and fine dribbling. Moochie was on fire for a while and do was Nick Van Exel in the second game. In the first game Damon was on fire, and it was funny to see Jonathon bender bring the ball up and try to take people one on one. He is like a tall walking stick. Overall, it was good. I'll be there Wednesday....

#19 tim562, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Never been to Fonde. Do they play outdoors or what?