1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Problems with the team (relax, all positive thread)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Several problems with our playing as evident in the Cavs game:

1. Ron Artest does not have the right role. When Yao is in the game, he's functioning as a pure spot up 3 pt shooter, which is not his specialty. Ron is seen as the offensive "spark", but when he is unable to get to the paint, he is not nearly as effective as a scorer (refer to Kings days), leading to abysmal percentages from the floor.

2. T-Mac needs to get involved. This team cannot run on one leg (Yao) alone. The offense is way too predictable, and Yao tires too quickly. When Yao's tired, he misses shots.

3. We need two ball handlers (Barry, Alston, Tracy, Brooks) on the floor at all times. There was one play when Alston was trapped by two guys and the ball had to go to Shane, leading to a turnover - Mo Williams layup.

Some good spots:

1. Barry was effective today. He needs to play more. As a spot up shooter, he knows his role the best and I have the most confidence seeing him shoot the ball.

2. Brooks call flat out ball. He is fearless in making decisions (like taking the 3 instead of giving Yao the ball again, good intention), and is not afraid of taking up the responsibility. Sam Cassell, anyone?

3. Overall good defensive intensity. I especially like the effort of Rafer Alston and that zone. Highly effective.

Conclusion:

Right now the team still has to mesh and find out their respective roles. Adelman needs to carve out an identity for Ron and to a larger extent, the team. Tracy, try harder and play like the all-star you are! Rafer is good in his starting job and I think our point position is finally set. Obviously our team is still rusty from injuries but I think we have the most potential to improve among these "almost contender" west teams. Let's go ROCKETS!