1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Problem with iPad and international Apple store, etc.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, May 9, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So I bought this iPad in Thailand that someone apparently imported from Hongkong. I haven't really figured out if I like it or not, it seems nice as a toy, but I don't see the benefit over using a laptop.

Anyway, I'm a typical early adopter and like gadgets, so I had to buy it. It's not even on the market yet in Europe. So my problems are:

1) This was the guy's display model (last one he had) and there are tons of music on there on the ipad's itunes...I would like to somehow keep that music, but also get my own music on there. Is there any way?

2) I was thinking that to achieve 1), I would have to somehow access the ipad like a hard drive (similarly to how you could do it with an ipod). I heard that there is a program called airsharing or something which would allow you to wirelessly access it like a hard drive. But my problem is - I cannot connect to the app store from the ipad with my German itunes store account. It just won't let me. So I can neither update any of the apps on the ipad nor buy or transfer or sync music nor even get the airsharing app to be able to access the ipad like a hard drive.

I am now buying a US itunes gift certificate on ebay because I googled and found out that that is a way for someone without a US address to get a US itunes store account, which I guess would enable me to get around the stupid restriction described above.

Once I have that done - any advice on how I could keep that music on that ipad?

Thanks.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the ipad is anything like a ipod/iphone, you should be able to manual sync it and just add the music you want to it.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention - the ipad can, like ipod/iphone, only be connected to one itunes on a computer...since the seller obviously had the ipad connected to his itunes and now I am trying to connect to mine...I only have the choice to delete all his music from the ipad and put mine on, or not sync with my music...that is what I am trying to get around by first backing up his music on my computer (by using the ipad like a hard drive).

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

jailbreak the ipad via Snow and there should be an app for moving files off the iPad to ur computer.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There's plenty of 3rd party software that lets you transfer music from your ipad to computer without jailbreaking our voiding warranty (although seeing as you bought someone else's ipad I doubt you have warranty on it anyway) Back in the day it was usually free but I think you probably have to pay nowadays for most of that.

6. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

create a new user id in your pc.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks, do I need to jailbreak if it is not a 3G ipad? It's the smallest model and without 3G.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks, the problem is that I can't even install software on the ipad (to transfer music) as that would require logging into the Apple store first which I can't as I don't have a US account (yet)...bit of a chicken/egg problem for me right now (I am waiting for the US gift card access code to be sent to me that I bought on ebay).

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am using a Mac...and not sure how this would help?

10. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

oops.. thought it was PC. get a PC then ;)

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You dont have to do that. You install the software on your computer, not the ipad. Basically all it does is bypass the security settings on the ipad and makes it an external hard drive so you can just copy it all to your computer.

I just saw that you have a mac, that makes it a bit harder as there's less mac software available to do this.

Here's the first result on my google search - http://www.aiseesoft.com/ipad-to-mac-transfer.html

I typed "transfer music from ipad to mac" in google. Anyway just search around, you'll find something and if you try hard enough you'll find some free stuff to do it.

#11 geeimsobored, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have my iPod Touch connected to multiple computers via iTunes (my home, my laptop, my wife's' laptop). The only thing I can't do is transfer movies on a computer other than my "home" computer to my iPod Touch. I can transfer songs at will. I simply do a manual sync.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thank you so much. I bought that program, and it appears to be doing the trick!