1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro-Mingers and Anti-Mingers on Record?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okuseinde, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

The Proiest pro-Ming on the BBS!

2. avn81

avn81 Member

There are'nt that many good, true centers around so when you have a chance to get some one who can be one you might as well take that chance.

"Cato has a fire within"

3. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

I guess I am going Pro-Ming. I have been on the fence for about a month, but a potential top 5 center just doesn't come out every year. I am unlike some, I do understand the risk involved, but the POTENTIAL reward is just too great to pass up.

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Pro-Ming

Also, very pro-trading Francis to Chicago for the #2.

5. zzhou

zzhou Member

PPPPPPPPRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO MING!!!!!!

Pro Ming for Life, No Question about it.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Definitely pro Yao!

(Yao is his surname guys)

:)

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Pro Ming Yao

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The point a lot of you anti-mingers are missing is this:

Ming may not be a franchise center....BUT....BUT....what if he is?

You don't get the chance to draft someone with this much ability very often, and the Rockets seem THRILLED by it.

How can they be wrong and someone like Rezdawgs roomates' sisters cousins dogs caretaker can be right?

Ming will be a very...very good player, and may just be a great one.

DaDakota

9. Outkast9000

Outkast9000 Member

I'm inbetween. I don't think he is the player that most of you think he is. HE IS NOT A CENTER in the truest sense of the word (think Dirk but taller, which isn't bad but it doesn't address any of our needs). The fact that he is not a true center is why I'm not really a Pro Minger. The reason I'm not an anti Minger is cause the guy has skills, he's tall (can't teach height), he'll draw attention to the club, and if he is gonna be a Rocket then as a fan I will be behind him (#1 reason). I hate it when fans are fans of players and not teams. Like so many people were Chicago "fans" when Jordan was there and now you can't buy a Chicago fan. I am, and will always be, a Rockets fan and I will trust the organization's judgement and pray that they know what they are doin. God Bless the Rockets :D

C

10. cwww

cwww Member

Anti-Rick Fox...

Pro-Ming!:)

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Manute Bol
    Shawn Bradley
    Gheorge Muresan
    Keith Closs

Guys over 7'4" don't amount to squat in this league.

AntiMing.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

And before I get blasted for my comparisons, let's take a look at other giant gambles(pun intended):

Bill Walton
    Ralph Sampson
    Sam Bowie
    Rik Smits
    Arvydas Sabonis

Of the five, there are only two championships. They may have played a COMBINED ten seasons. Big guys are notorious for not holding up in the long run.

To be fair, Portland didn't even get Sabonis until he was like 40 years old, but the point here is that we may face a similar red tape treatment from China.

#92 AntiSonic, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Pro-Yao Ming...

6 Days, 6 Hours, 6 minutes, & 6 Seconds til the Big Moment!!!

14. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

How long has your roommate been an NBA scout?

Wait he is not a scout just a fan....Hmmm

So you base your evaluation of Ming on a person who has not scouted for the NBA...Interesting

The point is that YOU have not seen him play. You are depending on 2nd hand info from a source is nothing more than a fan and does not evaluate basketball talent for a living.

Rudy, CD, and apparently most GM's in the league think Ming can make it and do not question his talent.
    But damn, if your roommate questions his abilities, I guess I will take his word for it over the professionals. :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah...right back at ya' :D :D :D

15. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The same Rudy and CD that thought the world of Bryce Drew? ;)

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Pro Ming

Who really absolutely knows how he will turn out? Will he get injured? I sure don't see into the future.

But after seeing him on tape I wouldn't turn down a shot at him.

Too Tall
    Too much potential

Anyway you only get the #1 pick so many times- go for it all

nobody is dogging MJ for taking K Brown over P Gasol

17. boo

boo Member

anti ming

as a chinese,i consider the biggest problem of chinese athletes is that they simply can't focus their concentrations .maybe ming will have decent numbers,but i don't think he has enough mental toughness to avoid big time screw up.

18. MManal

MManal Member

Anti-Ming

The Rockets will be an adequate team with Ming but wont have the interior toughness to win a championship. They'll be at best a team that makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and gets knocked out. Also, for the record, the Odom package is what Im in support of as the alternative to Ming.

19. Tha Jay

Tha Jay Member

Pro-Ming

I can't help but be excited about Ming possibly being a Rocket. You have to admit that Ming has alot of skills for 7'5" guy: shooting, passing, blocking and good body coordination. His body weight is a problem for banging in the NBA. However, he has the potential, at least for now, to be an exceptional 7'5" shooter which will cause alot of problems for the defense. I envision Francis or Mobley driving toward the basket while Ming looks for the pass in the perimeter. If Ming can be consistent under NBA game pressure, we will have a potent offensive weapon. I may be an optimist, but it will sure be interesting to see how the Rockets evolve (or not) with Ming. Also, I don't think Ming is the total answer to reach the Championship Finals, but I believe he will improve the Rockets.

Anyway when it comes to NBA rookies, there are no guarantees. One can only judge on skill and potential.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pro-Ming. I don't think he'll really be a super-star, but I think he will be the biggest help of anyone available in the draft to the Rockets.

I don't think he'll be any slouch either, I just think he'll be really good, but it'll still be Steve's team. Ming and EG will become major contributors along with Cat.